tonight’s KisP fun facts

…State officials said Thursday that damage to the marble inside and out the State Capitol would cost an estimated $7.5 million.

Cari Anne Renlund, chief legal counsel for the state Department of Administration, said in Dane County court that estimates of damage to marble includes $6 million to repair damaged marble inside the Capitol, $1 million for damage outside and $500,000 for costs to supervise the damage.

Much of the damage apparently has come from tape used to put up signs and placards at the Capitol.

It was not immediately clear how the estimates were made, though the state is apparently relying on opinions by historical architects, one of whom works for the U.S. Park Service…

1. Laurence
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 4:43 am |

How does one supervise damage? I bet you need to belong to a public employee union to qualify fro the job.

2. Dan Patterson
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 5:35 am |

What is it about the knee-jerk left that seeks destruction instead of debate? And the constant attention to poor hygiene and ineffective grooming as a badge of some sort: Is that an indication of rebellion or of immaturity?

Rumors of the GOP going wobbly on the issues are troubling.

3. Posted March 5, 2011 at 5:54 am |

Looks like youthful rebellion at 28! He parents must be soooo pleased!

4. DoubleU
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 6:02 am |

Why is it the ones that always seem to fight for “worker’s rights” never seem to work?

5. Posted March 5, 2011 at 6:05 am |

They can give me half that money and I’ll get a case of Goo-be-gone and get right on it .

6. Stick
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 6:35 am |

When I got out of the Navy to finish college, I knew guys EXACTLY like this guy. The left is so last century.

7. Gwillie
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 6:40 am |

7 million to get tape off the walls?
    They must be using Union labor.

8. Posted March 5, 2011 at 7:16 am |

☑ Ughs
    ☑ Backpack
    ☑ Unshaven
    ☑ Head lice
    ☑ Disrespecting the American flag

BTW, nice new digs.

9. Holger
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 7:37 am |

It just doesn’t seem right that my first post at the new site is one where a hippie is trying to get bed bugs out of his nappy head.

I was so hoping it would be a blogpost where the flag of the Templar Knights was being raised over Medina.

but hey, this place IS pretty darn cool.

10. Another Bob
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 7:44 am |

How do we pronounce “Sondrakistan”?
    Sondra-kisstan?
    Sondrack-isstan?

11. Jimmy
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 7:55 am |

I might have to join this place. God knows I’ve been reading here for years now.

12. DoubleU
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 8:09 am |

Confused. I thought the name “sondrak.com” was going to stay. It is a lot easier to tell people “sondrak.com” then I have no idea how it is spelled istan.

13. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 8:17 am |

Life is hard, UU. We learned that trying to get 35K posts transferred from ExpressionEngine to WordPress………..

14. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 8:18 am |

Now e-mail me the code that centers the blockquote body :)

15. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 8:19 am |

And UU….”SondraK.com” is going to be there forever…….with a message that directs them to here on the top of the page. You can always get here from there.

16. Snuffy Smith
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 8:34 am |

It doesn’t take much tape residue, Sharpie tracks, or spray paint to rack up a lot of damage to fine stonework like that found in many of our State Capitols. They should be identified, prosecuted, and made to pay for the damage.

17. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 9:18 am |

Marble is porous and stains easily. Lots of luck getting Sharpie marks off. I think the marks should be removed by rubbing Mr. Sleeping Bag’s nose on the stone until the mark polishes out.
    Meanwhile, what Snuffie said: send the teachers’ union a bill for the cleaning.

18. Snuffy Smith
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 10:01 am |

Coming soon to a State Capitol near you.

Few have as much video surveillance as the one in my home State, WA.
    It’s a magnificent building, and the no BS Washington State Patrol handles security.
    If they pull that shit here, it WILL get dealt with.

19. PeggyU
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 10:16 am |

Another Bob – I think it should be done the way snooty ABC reporters pronounce “Pakistan”: Pah’-kee-stahn

Sondrakistan: Son-drah’-kee-stahn

Doesn’t that sound exotic and make you feel worldly?

20. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 10:42 am |

^ It makes me want to punch Obama :)

Posted March 5, 2011 at 11:53 am |

I heard this morning on FnF that the T party is trying to get people together to help with the clean up– think any of the protesters will sign up? I said b/4 I’ve been there and it’s a beautiful building– when you first walk in you feel like you should whisper–when we brought our daughter to the U of W hospital for chemo treatments we went to see it– I can’t imagine how anyone just seeing it and spending time in it could feel they are so important that they could desecrate their own capital building. That alone should tell you how ignorant these people are–teachers should have to teach the students the history of the capital building and how it came to be— they might even learn something– not one word from the run aways asking the protesters to please respect their capital building– not a word about what they did to it or the cost of cleaning it—

Posted March 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

How do you remove that odor from marble?

Yes, bill the unions and the dhimmicrap party.

Posted March 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm |

Request for new window for comments again,
    please, or a home button down where comments are posted to return to the front page more easily.

When there is an opportunity, that is.

24. Merovign
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm |

1) Marble is actually quite easy to damage, especially old marble. I would not be surprised, and the Unions should pony up for it, but won’t.

2) First rule of sleeping in public: KEEP YOUR DAMNED PANTS ON!!!!

25. The Emir