unstump The Emir

The Emir and I have been working on this page overlap issue for a couple daze now and are getting nowhere. I know there are certain things that the reader has to set on their own specific browsers but I also know that various readers using various browsers visit various other blogs all the time without encountering this problem. If anyone has a clue how we may rectify this I and countless others will be truly grateful…

1. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |

Thanks for ironing out my log-in issues.

Oh, and I like the mini-page for mobile devices. It works great on the iPod.

Stay awesome, ya’ll!

2. Clinically Insane
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |

Sondra. I’ve run into very minor overlapping issues in the past with CSS. And while I’m still new to it all, it always seemed to get back to me not setting the width of various containers properly in order to compensate for padding.

3. mojo
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm |

Firefox here, and all I had to do was pull the window a little wider. Everything re-columnized, bing.

Posted March 8, 2011 at 12:31 am |

Put a large *black dot* on all entries. None of the black dots is outside the border?

5. Posted March 8, 2011 at 5:33 am |

Hey, Mumblix, can you access comments and/or actually comment yourself on the mobile version? If so, how? Where?

6. Posted March 8, 2011 at 5:42 am |

Oh, and am I the only one to notice that all comments are now #1?

Posted March 8, 2011 at 5:46 am |

I never had that problem and things are still delightful.

However the rollover doesn’t function for me and I have the flu.

8. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 6:32 am |

K-Nine…you’re right. I can’t find a way to enter or view comments on the portable page version.

Hmm..

9. NJ Mike
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:00 am |

I have a suggestion that probably won’t go over well……..how about going back to the one that WORKED?
    I simply do not undersrtand this constant need to “upgrade”….I thought we conservatives lived under the premise of…”If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”…
    Sheesh, I must be getting old and grumpy……..

10. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:00 am |

Sorry kidz, you’re on your own with the android stuff!

11. Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:00 am |

Well, nice to know it ain’t me. Been in touch with The Head Missy… I’m giving feedback as much as I can. Hopefully it’ll be easy to resolve.

Everything else is smoking awesome. Can’t be all complaints.

12. Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:03 am |

Hey, NJ Mike… the old one WAS broke. It was held together with bailing wire and duct tape. Better to upgrade before there was catastophic failure and someone got hurt.

Sorry if I spoke out of turn Head Mistress.

13. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:13 am |

Explorer 8 here. All’s well.

14. AZHolmes
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:56 am |

This place looks great to me. Firefox at home (Mac) and work (Windoze). The overlap issue is apparently still there, but I don’t see it because my window is wide enough. It overlaps when I decrease the width., It seems to have the comment/posting boxes and the right column at a fixed width instead of a percentage.?.? Just a guess.

Also, I just saw this and want to head off any russkie invasions:

FYI: Russian Hackers Targeting Conservative Blogs/

Keep up the good work.

P.S. “link” button is awesome!

15. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:07 am |

Thanks, K-Nine. I appreciate it.

NJMike, it was a need to upgrade because the old program was eating itself and we were taking down the server and my gracious host started losing actual paying customers ( yay capitalism! ) over it and we here behind the curtain were spending more time trying to keep it up and running than sleeping and eating and attempting to have a live once in awhile.

It WAS broke. Badly.

I put this off for almost 2 years because I dreaded it.
    We’ve been working on this for a couple months now and lately, about 24/7 and I’m kinda getting a little fried.
    The Emir is my hero and considering his only stake in this is making me happy so I may in turn make YOU happy….
    It ain’t been fun for us.

16. Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:29 am |

Still glad it’s not just me. Someone I know had to change hosting companies recently because the server CPU was getting eaten up by some other user. Wasn’t you on Network Solutions, was it?

17. iD
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:32 am |

Somewhere in the last few days, I came by once and all the stuff from the right was at the bottom of the page, with no overlap. But the next time, it was all up on the right again. In other words, it looked like you had the overlap fixed, but then it got unfixed.

18. NJ Mike
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 10:16 am |

If twas done in the service of capitalism, I will gladly muddle through……..although I do not know if I will EVER get over the loss of…..sniff, sniff, wail moan…..DUCT TAPE AND BAILING WIRE!!!!
    Other than the dog, them’s mans best friends!!!!

Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:14 am |

Only thing I’m having trouble with is trying to get an avatar–even had my “expert” come here to do it for me— other wise– awesome!! I’m in a holding pattern for now– not a problem–

20. Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:20 am |

Firefox – hit CTRL- (minus sign) until everything resizes down to where things are supposed to be.

21. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:59 am |

The DUCT TAPE AND BAILING WIRE will be put to better use now :)

22. DougM
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |

Mac/Firefox.
    All is well.

[gets trampled by crowd]

Well, except that linked pics like this don’t show up in the comment preview.
    Now, that feature I can live without.
    It’s just that, well, “different” alerts me a little.
    In my AF experience, “different” was sometimes followed by “catastrophic.”

23. Rock and Roll Doctor
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:54 pm |

Yep, Gully, resizing the font worked. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it. Sondra, is there a non-mobile version for Android? Plus, and I don’t know how to say this without sounding like a dick, but are the fonts and the layout finished? They look kind of typewriterish. Assuming my browser is seeing the site correctly, of course.

24. Cliff
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:11 am |

IE 8 on company XP box -resized OK…
    Rollovers not OK…sniff