Fat Tuesday

My co-workers and I were treated to an excellent lunchtime spread featuring the obligatory homemade beignets and a king cake.

Definitely a great way to start off the week.

So did anyone else celebrate today?

1. iD
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:08 pm |

“So did anyone else celebrate today?”

No, and tomorrow there won’t be any ashes on my forehead. When I was a kid we were expected to wear the ashes all day, but after mass, we’d immediately rub them off. Go figure.

2. Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm |

I stopped a parade so I could transport a little old man who fell down and went boom. Pretty funny watching the high school band march in place for 10 minutes.

Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

Nothing today as I have been home sick.

I plan to make up for it later in the week, though.

4. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

I hate you. I started my diet for summer yesterday.
    ( thankyouverymuchKrispyKremePuddingandicecream )

5. Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm |

My old (Episcopal) church used to have a pancake supper every year that we went to on Fat Tuesday. After the Episcopal Church got too political (and WAY too liberal), we left it and went to a Lutheran church (because it was stylistically similar, a lot more apolitical, and, uh, just across the street). The new church doesn’t have an annual pancake supper, however, so we haven’t been for several years, now.

Today, out of the blue, Mom called up and suggested we all meet at the IHOP for an impromptu family Pancake Supper. Not the best food in the world, but it was nice to “celebrate” Fat Tuesday again.

6. Clinically Insane
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm |

I celebrated today as I have celebrated many days since I got my planetary doomsday device. I didn’t use it.

And if’n y’all are lucky, I’ll celebrate tomorrow too!

(Melissa: how’s my accent. been practicing :) )

7. The Ugly American
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm |

I started my diet for summer yesterday.

But… but… those jeans

Why God …why?

8. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm |

CI…
    Hell yeah!
    I celebrated by not choking the life outta someone today :)
    I avoided downtown Austin like the plague, they have their own version of Mardi Gras Drunk A thon going on down there!

9. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm |

Just so ya know…
    when I say hell yeah… it goes somethin’ kinda like this:

10. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm |

^ you weren’t looking at the winter binge in the FRONT! :D

11. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm |

Winter binge… LOL!

12. iD
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm |

Just now, right in the middle of watching “Master and Commander” again, I remembered the whole trip about “What are you giving up for Lent?”

That’s the whole idea of Fat Tuesday– a feast before the sacrifices of Lent. We were expected to give up something. Dessert? TV? I could never figure out what was appropriate, so I learned to say “homework”. Most got the joke, but sometimes I got the raised eyebrow. Then I’d say, “But I love homework!” Works every time.

13. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm |

iD… you mean they bought it?
    Holy cow!

14. iD
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm |

It helps if you’re a straight-A nerd, as I was.

15. The Ugly American
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm |

you weren’t looking at the winter binge in the FRONT!

Looked pretty good from where I was standing.

16. accipiter NW
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

My dad was having trouble with the grip on his 38 Spcl and he had it re-gripped last week. I took him to the range today to celebrate!

17. Posted March 8, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

I celebrated Fat Tuesday at a local restaurant called “The Big Easy.” Great Louisiana cooking, live dixieland jazz, a special on “hurricanes,” and beads being passed out to one and all (with no flashing necessary). Good times!

18. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:05 pm |

I went to the big biker deallio in New Hampshire one year and got double zeroes when I wouldn’t flash the goofballs on the side of the road doing biker boobie Olympics…

19. DougM
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 7:03 am |

Wellp, I did go to the Morning Service at my local where the waitresses (Hooters-quality, one of ‘em) call you Hon’ an’ Darlin’ and have your coffee on the table before you get your jacket hung, and the buffet section has eeeeeeevrything, but the eggs are made-to-order by the cook who steps out to ask how you want ‘em this mornin’, and the Mutt’n Jeff black guys in the next booth say “Hey” an’ talk about the race car they’re buildin’, and the H-q waitress’ little daughter skips past and says “Hi,” and the waitresses lean over close to ask, “Doin’ all right, hon’?” ’cause my head’s always down in a book, and the cashier asks why I’m not on the Harley this mornin’.

20. AZHolmes
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 7:41 am |

Sondrak, I got a chuckle outta “flash the goofballs”. I’m sure I read it wrong.

21. Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:31 am |

Polish Wife made “plinskas?”, , well however you spell ‘em, they were deliscious little Pollack Pancakey/donut/fruit things.

My boys snarfed ‘em up.

Happy Ash Wednesday!!

22. mojo
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 9:53 am |

My religious observances start about 5pm on the 17th, and last quite a while.