on newsstands now

Picked this up at Sea-Tac to read during my flight back to Los Angeles.

LIFE magazine created a superb volume to celebrate the centennial birth of Ronald Reagan. It features more than 150 photos, some of them rare.

I highly recommend picking up a copy.

Posted March 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

I remember the libs putting him thru hell when he was the President—No one has mentioned the Iran-Contra mess—

2. Posted March 8, 2011 at 2:07 pm |

Almost puts me in the mood to triple the national debt, raise taxes on everyone but the rich, try to get rid of all nukes, expand the size and power of the federal government, ignore AIDS, cut and run after an attack in Lebanon, negotiate with terrorists and pardon 3 million illegal aliens!

I wonder if a Democrat did that today if you guys would idolize him this much. Revisionist history is fun and everything but you guys realize that Clinton is really the one you should admire…If only he had a cowboy hat…

3. Posted March 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm |

Hey! Toad followed us. Hadn’t heard his imbecillic banality in a long time.

I really didn’t miss it.

Posted March 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm |

Ceeeeeeeee that’s what I was talking about!!!

5. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

Beetlejuice!

6. DoubleU
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm |

Toad, while you are correct; Reagan talked a good talk about cutting government while he grew government considerably. However he was the first President to do something about AIDS.

The President’s Commission on the HIV Epidemic was a commission formed by then-President Ronald Reagan in 1987 to investigate the AIDS pandemic.

The real Reagan record on AIDS is different. AIDS funding skyrocketed in the 1980s, almost doubling each year from 1983 – when the media started blaring headlines – from $44 million to $103 million, $205 million, $508 million, $922 million, and then $1.6 billion in 1988. Reagan’s secretary of Health and Human Services in 1983, Margaret Heckler, declared AIDS her department’s “number one priority.” While the House of Representatives was Democrat-dominated throughout the 1980s, which Democrats would quickly explain was the source of that skyrocketing AIDS funding, Reagan clearly signed the spending bills that funded the war on AIDS.

I will agree, Clinton did a fine job… after the Republicans controlled congress.

7. The Ugly American
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

Toad: Those issues and more were all brought to bear inside.

Unlike King Obama, he wasn’t a perfect human being.

There’s no denying Reagan lived an extraordinary life.

8. blindshooter
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm |

We sure don’t have anything of his caliber in the game now.

9. SherryM
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

Toad you monkey troll, enough with thew straw man routine. Ol’ Billybob was a felon and perjurer. And Ronald Reagan was key in ending the cold war, perhaps you wish the reds had won?

10. accipiter NW
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

I remember driving thru Joshua Tree on my way to San Diego and flipping the news on around 3 pm the day that Mr. Reagan died. The station announcer sounded like he’d just been kicked in the nads.

Must have been a local station to Ron because shortly after people were calling in with all these wonderful stories of the quality character of Ron never forgetting the concerns of the common man. One lady had gotten a flat tire in front of his place, and he went out to change it for her at his insistence. Another guy was trying to get his attention (I think while he was gov) as he was being ushered thru the air port and Ron broke ranks to listen to him.

Listening to the callers during my drive brought back so many memories that day. I wonder now who would have the radio mic that day (640 AM?) if Mr. Reagan hadn’t lifted the “Fairness” Doctrine.

11. DougM
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm |

Good.
    That’s my favorite photo of him, too.

12. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm |

I bought my copy two weeks ago.
    First time I ever bought that mag.

13. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm |

Anyone who can dis on Reagan just shows they’re an asshole.

He was probably the most genuine and likable president we ever had.

14. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm |

Amen, Sondra!

15. DoubleU
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm |

I just wish he actually did something about reducing the size of government instead of just talking about it.

16. Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

My youngest Son looked over my shoulder and said,”That’s President Reagan!”

I replied, “Yup, one of the greatest Presidents of our time…”

To which he said, “Dad, he was the greatest President we’ve ever had besides Thomas Jefferson, and it’s a close call at that!!”

I Love my Lil’ Wolfie.

I did tell him that Reagan would have created the Marine Corps too…..

President Reagan then won.

*oh, that’s his photo as my current avatar*