Ho Ho Harry

psst, Harry; Cowboys are Conservatives

Is it Just Me™ or is Ho-House-Harry Reid starting to sound like a little old lady?

“The mean-spirited bill, H.R. 1 … eliminates the National Endowment of the Humanities, National Endowment of the Arts,” said Reid.

…The National Endowment of the Humanities is the reason we have in northern Nevada every January a cowboy poetry festival. Had that program not been around, the tens of thousands of people who come there every year would not exist.”

Killerz!!!!!!!!!!!lebenty!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!

…a little old lady with a big red hat, an orange blouse, purple socks and no pants.

1. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 7:20 am |

This needs a sad cowboy song.

2. Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:11 am |

*smartly avoiding any brokeback jokes here, Boss*

3. DougM
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:43 am |

Show me in the Constitution, jackass, where it says the FedGov is given the authority to fund frikkin’ Cowboy Poetry Festivals.

Now, I have nothing personal agin’ Cowboy Poetry Festivals, as such; but you low-life thieves have gotta quit stealin’ other-people’s hard-earned money to give to your pet projects so you can tout yourselves s friggin’ culture heroes (i.e. bribe special-interest voters).

4. DougM
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 9:19 am |

*heh*
    There once was a man from Nevada …

5. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:20 am |

How come kind-spirited protec-tor of the humanities and cowboy poetry Harry Reid doesn’t fund it from his own state’s coffers?

6. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:23 am |

I live in that “Town up north”, and the federal guv’mit has nothing to do with Cowboy Poetry. It is self supporting. Harry, STFU.

7. Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:43 am |

Isn’t it odd that Harry Reid is citing “Cowboy Poetry” as a reason to defend funding the arts instead of “Piss Christ” and Mapplethorpe’s photos of naked guys with bullwhips shoved up their asses?

8. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:50 am |

Another thing, Harry, if those people wern’t at Cowboy Poetry, they would still exist.

Posted March 9, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

eh eh Broke Back— first thing that this mind tho’t of— but thasss nah nice— I’m sure when Cowboys can’t take their guns to town they go to the poetry festival—instead of the O.K. Corral saloon.

10. Rocketftc
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

My favorite Cowboy Poet right here, boss: Texas guitar hero The Reverend Horton Heat!

11. Laurence
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm |

You beat me to the existential point, Alan. I am sure that Harry actually believes that our very existence is a function of the government.

The Salon and the French art establishment never support Impressionism. My rule of thumb is that, if the NEH supports an artist, s/he will be forgotten in a generation.

12. ZZMike
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 9:11 pm |

Lemme see if’n I understand ol’ Harry’s idea:

“. . .Had that program not been around, the tens of thousands of people who come there every year would not exist.”

I think I know what he meant, but what he said was, without that federal funding, “tens of thousands of people” would have vanished into thin air, or never been born.

Thomas Jefferson would have read him the riot act.

“Cowboy poetry” runs along the lines of

“You done stomped upon my heart, and mashed that sucker flat.”

13. rickn8or
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 9:51 pm |

A government-supported artist is nothing but an incompetent whore.”
    –R. A. Heinlein