less than zero

Apparently Angelenos have a lot on their minds…

Once again, the shit-for-brains voters of Los Angeles have blown another local election.

Of course I’m speaking about the ones that even bothered to show up.

The official bird of Los Angeles is the ostrich.

Guess what percentage of L.A.’s registered voters did not bother to vote in yesterday’s election? The answer is 88.41%.

Let me put that another way: 1,454,005 of the 1,644,647 people registered to vote in America’s second-biggest city simply skipped an election. They did so even though the City is nearly bankrupt, and even though approximately half of them live in districts where they could have replaced current City Council Members.

Every single feckless incumbent was re-elected to office, without even a run-off, by maddeningly small margins.

Think about those numbers, would you? In major American city that is failing, and that has 1.6 million registered voters, the career politicians who caused the crash-and-burn are staying in office by margins of 827 votes, 599 votes, and so on, because 1.4 million voters don’t even show up.

Plus, only .04% — less than one half of one percent — of L.A.’s registered voters realized that the “library” ballot measure was an unjustifiable tax hike: 65,669 people voted against it; 113,350 voted for it; and everyone else stayed home. Hey, do you think the people who voted for it even know that on election day, the City Council diverted nearly $1 billion of revenues to “welfare for the rich” through so-called redevelopment programs?

Do you understand, now, why I will never run for office again in this City? The combination of lazy media and uninformed voters spell doom for America’s second-biggest city.

And if you think that’s hyperbole, I have one word for you: Detroit.

I’ve decided that from today, I will only be voting in statewide & presidential elections.

And on those ballots, I will no longer vote on local offices or measures.

This city can fall into the shitter for all I care …I’m done.

1. Clinically Insane
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm |

Sorry TUA, but it already is in the shitter.

We just need to find a way to get you out of it.

2. apotheosis
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm |

^ This.

Posted March 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm |

There’s a reason they call it “la-la land”. . .

4. Trialdog
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

Send me an absentee ballot and a carton of Newports and I’ll vote for you.

5. iD
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

They didn’t vote, but they’ll eagerly show up to protest any significant budget cuts.

But that’s not going to happen. No pols will risk the unpopularity of hard choices, and LA will become another Detroit.

Scott Walker and the Wisc. GOP senators are taking a lot of heat, but they’re doing what has to be done.

6. Cheesy
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm |

Glad I left when I did.
    Last straw was when my favorite rock station became automated tejano music.

7. Laurence
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm |

The sleazy shits know that they can hide a multiple of sins and pass big spending bills by holding elections at odd times.

It’s freaking March. Do you know what your politicians are up to?

8. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

I’m frustrated for you, TUA.

I’m happy for Wisconsin tho.

I gave up a looooong time ago here in Lympia. Altho a lot of people don’t give enough credence to the fact that a lot of our elections are pretty close……..so there’s that.

9. DoubleU
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

Average KisPer brain…

10. The Ugly American
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm |

LOL!!!

11. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm |

Sad thing is, this is the exact opposite of the ideal.

The American system was founded on the notion and local government took care of the things closest to the average person, and thus deserved the greatest attention, while the feds had minimal impact and thus could be largely ignored.

Too bad. LA was probably a nice place, one upon a time …..

12. The Ugly American
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm |

That’s what I used to believe as well.

But after three straight years of dismal turnouts, I’ve come to realize that now applies to only the smallest of cities and towns.

Megatropolis like NY, Chicago and LA? …forget about it.

The levels of corruption run too deep.

If we can’t even manage to vote out one bumbling incumbent city clowncil member, what chance to we have of electing a competent replacement for King Villar?

Sorry …I just can’t do it anymore.

13. DoubleU
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 4:26 am |

Wait TUA, you don’t think elections haven’t been corrupted on state and national levels? You don’t think small cities and town haven’t been corrupted?

14. The Ugly American
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 11:10 am |

Of course they are.

Only small towns have a much better chance of tossing their bums out.