8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan

Click for live streaming video from CNN LIVE NEWS STREAM via Justin.tv

Watching the tsunami unfold on live television was nothing short of surreal.

The damage seen thus far does not look good and I fear the death toll is going to be very high.

Hoary crap…

This image provided by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center shows a ‘tsunami forecast model’ created by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii predicting the wave height of the tsunami generated by the Japan earthquake. The Hawaii’s islands are located at the edge of the yellow pattern, but waves could be higher along the coastline when the tsunami arrives.
[AP Photo/Nathan Becker - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center]

1. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 11:18 pm |

I’ve been watching the Al Jezzera video feed.

This is NOT good.

2. accipiter NW
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm |

Got a brother in Kobe who but for the timing, we would’ve died in their 1995 quake. Been talking to an acquaintance in NZ after that one in Christchurch 3 weeks ago.

I check out this USGS site from time to time too for local, US, and World 7-day quakes.

The western Pacific has had a steady diet of 5.0+ for the last couple of weeks -BUT- I am not saying that is anything out of the ordinary.

3. Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:12 am |

I blame Bush!

What? Too soon?

4. SherryM
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:20 am |

OMG, I hope loss of life is at a minimum.

5. DoubleU
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:40 am |

My niece is teaching English in South West Japan, earlier this week she was telling me how happy and excited everyone was because Friday was school graduation. As of this post it is Friday, Mar 11 5:30 PM there now, 13 hours a head of her family. Because of her schedule, the time differences it is really hard to get a hold of her.

6. accipiter NW
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:52 am |

The tsunami is just ripping down the coast.
    They say Hawaii should expect the tsunami at 3am local. Where is Obunkershot? I wish he was there to get douched off one of the golf courses.

7. Spin
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:25 am |

UU, the quake occurred near the north east part of Japan. Hopefully your niece won’t feel it’s effects as bad in south west Japan.

The Weather Channel sez this was the 7th largest quake in recorded history, the 5th largest since 1900.

I’m staying up and see what Stephanie Abrams has to say. Even if she doesn’t mention the quake.

8. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:27 am |

I just heard on CNN that the entire West coast is under a tsunami WARNING now, not watch. I think it will hit here about high tide.

9. Spin
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:43 am |

Yahoo has had this headline/link all day Thursday about the Super full moon coming on March 19th.

10. Spin
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:48 am |

I guess I no longer know how to do the link-y thing.

March 19 Supermoon

11. blindshooter
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 2:16 am |

Damn, the video is ugly coming from Japan. All I can do is pray for them.

Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:14 am |

Yikes.

I had friend out there with her husband–Don’t know if they are still stationed there. . .

Must try to contact her

13. apotheosis
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:34 am |

My God.

Prayers for Nippon. I guess they prepare for this kind of thing, so maybe the death toll won’t be like a similar quake in a less disciplined nation.

14. The Digital Hairshirt
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 6:09 am |

A nuclear power plant in Japan is now under a state of emergency when it’s cooling system failed. Not good.

If Barbra Streisand’s Malibu home gets washed away . . . I will LOL.

15. Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:02 am |

This just in from Dammit Woman….our own Forest Hunter is in the Philipines…not Japan as is his usual.

16. Sven in Colorado
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:28 am |

Just reported from USGS in Boulder….predicting not much more than 3ft over average wave for the Cali coast.

Posted March 11, 2011 at 8:54 am |

4:00 couldn’t sleep– reading Dead or Alive– turn on FnF–OMG– been watching since–wishing for some new news so sick of Wisc. and the middle East wasn’t going to watch the news — not something like this–

18. Melissa In Texas
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:31 am |

This is just awful. Prayers going out.

19. Posted March 11, 2011 at 11:52 am |

My littermate is in Monterey, California. She of course went to the beach for the Tsunami, says it wasn’t distinguishable form the ordinary waves.

Sort of like bad sex- “Was that it?”