worthy

Chernobyl had its heroes too…

Which kinda makes the Fukushima Fifty even moreso.

Posted March 31, 2011 at 11:39 pm |

Will mix aluminium oxide into the soil and then cover with a thick layer of concrete, if they duplicate Chernobyl. Regretably Japan is quite earthquake prone which might crack the cement cover at any time….

2. apotheosis
    Posted April 1, 2011 at 5:06 am |

Poor, crazy, heroic bastards.

3. Melissa In Texas
    Posted April 1, 2011 at 5:39 am |

Wow.
    I have been following this nightmare for the Japanese people and filtering through the bullshit that the press keep throwing out to scare the shit out of people.
    The people left at Fukushima are human and the sporadic contact the people have been allowed show their humanity even more.
    I have been following this guy who makes a bit more sense than the scaremongers in the press. He and his group seem to be quite informed and lay it out in (mostly) term I can understand.

The Chernobyl video… just wow.

4. Tom Weaver
    Posted April 1, 2011 at 7:26 am |

heros all
    Medvedev “The truth about Chernobyl” And Pohl’s fictional recreation are good early sources.

5. blindshooter
    Posted April 1, 2011 at 10:11 am |

MiT, the link you gave is a good one, it seems (from a quick read) he is a HP or RC tech and has been for some time. You don’t get to do that job without knowing what your doing. Most in the media won’t take the time to learn anything about the crap they have been spouting.

I did notice ol’ Shep brought his ass home quick when they started the panic over the the troubled plants.

I remember him staying in Noleans for ever, I guess its different when you think you may be getting a dose of cesium yourself while doing your on location fear mongering.

6. John the Baptist
    Posted April 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm |

Back in my day, these Soviet soldiers were the enemy. My second tour in the Army was in West Germany, and flying up on the Czech border we could see vast tank parks on the other side, all ready to support their expected invasion through the Fulda Gap. At the time, we saw them as a fearsome, overwhelming opponent who we could only hope to slow down enough for REFORGER to complete. Now I am just filled with overwhelming sadness at these faces, knowing that they were doomed, not just from Chernobyl but from the whole Soviet system itself, and that they were never really the cold, dread juggernaut we thought they would be.