you’ll eat what I put on the table

— mom

As part of a plan to revamp the state’s Medicaid program, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer announced on Thursday that she is proposing fees for adults who lead unhealthy lives.
Childless adults who are obese or suffer from a chronic condition and who fail to work with their doctor to meet specific goals would be charged $50 annually. The $50 annual fee also would apply to all childless adult smokers.
“If you’re not going to manage those things and take some personal responsibility, and in turn that costs the state more money, then you need to have some skin in the game

1. Posted April 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm |

I don’t get the childless thing. If you have kids you can be overweight?

2. iD
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

If you have unhealthy habits in AZ, make a baby and you’re in the clear.

3. Posted April 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm |

If you do unhealthy things in front of the kids you are exempt from fines.

4. SherryM
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm |

This is one thing that has always irked Me.. They push threw nobamacare, Saying it is to improve and make health care more affordable. Well if those that can not pay still go to the doctor it should stick to them. Instead they use pore health practices as a excuse, They complain that people that do not exercise or eat right or smoke cost tax payers money. It is like charging people to breath and complaining that people are not holding there breath long enough.

Posted April 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm |

I worked in a Dr.s office– their share of the office visit payment was $2.00 — after standing out side to have a smoke they’d come in and talk about how much fun they had at the local pub the nite b/4 and ask me if they could pay the $2.00 the next time they come in–just add it to what they already owed– than drive away in a nicer car than I had– in fact I walked to work– so good luck with that plan–

Posted April 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm |

Doesnt that discriminate against those without chirrens?

I would think that those who pop them out like clown car lady cost the taxpayers more. . .

(WTF is that steve tyler creature doing on the Country music awards singing next to Carrie Underwood?)

7. tctsunami
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm |

Hey Jan, I like you and all, but don’t cross that line.
    If your fat and illegal then send there ass back across the boarder.
    If your fat and belong here then head for the salad bar.
    But it’s not up to you or anyone else to tell me what to eat.
    Get real.

8. Laurence
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 7:10 pm |

Another reason I am not a Repukelican… they just stand for a smaller big government than the Demonrats.

9. rickn8or
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm |

“… skin in the game…” Brilliant!

10. SherryM
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

tctsunami~ Yes exactly, if a adult wants to eat fainting foods drink and smoke if their health go’s south it is on them. Making the nobomba care and now this.. It is creating a problem and saying that side effect is someone else fault. A excuse to perpetuate the problem that is a side effect of their own doing.

11. DougM
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

She isn’t controlling costs,
    she’s raising taxes.
    She isn’t fixing the program,
    she’s demanding people adapt their behavior to be compatible with governance.
    She isn’t applying policy equally among citizens,
    she’s … uhm … WTF is she doing?

Bottom line: when you let the government run it,
    the government also runs you.

Doug sez: But now suddenly if you don’t have your kids with you when you go out to get ice cream, you’re going to be harassed, that’s something that could potentially happen.

*heh* ‘Member this?

12. SondraK, Lympian Slayer
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

tctsunami, if I’m paying for it you’re damn right I’m gonna tell you what to eat and how to live.

*I* wanna be in charge of food stamps. They’ll either get healthy or decide they’d rather have Twinkies and Lil Smokies for dinner and find their own way.

13. Another Bob
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm |

Children are future revenue prospects. That’s why.

14. logdogsmith
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm |

It is necessary to understand the difference between having provisos attached to welfare and having government limiting free trade.

If I want free medical benefits, I need to follow those rules.

If I want to buy a McDonalds shitburger, McDonalds should be allowed to sell it, and I should be allowed to buy it and eat it.

15. Henri Claude
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm |

I see a big problem here for seniors….no kids and once on social security, by law, have to be on medicaid…..

…if I was a senior on social security and I lived in Ariz. I’d get all my retired friends all fired up and we’d do a hoverround sit-in at Jan Brewer’s State House……

…and Doug, you’re right….she’s not working on the budget problem, she’s trying to force the citizens to conform to some kind of nanny state idea about individual choice vs. cause and effect and the problem with the State of Arizona’s budget shortfall, which is probably caused by all the damn illegal aliens and not by the individual choices of private citizens …….

Posted April 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

Governor Jan Brewer (S) of Arizona. Former heroine. (S)= Stupid Party

17. LLoyd
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm |

I am for taking the responsibility. I can eat what I want to eat BUT it is my responsibility not to have it causing hardened arteries, heart attack, colon cancer, etc. Just like smoking. I was one of the heaviest. 42 years. I was like most. I was going to be OK and just all of a sudden conk out one night. Beating cancer, COPD and the like.

But…nope. It got me. February a year ago. Went in 4 times between February and March for 3-4 day stays. Who paid for that? Non smokers. People a lot more healthy than I. Multiply me times the amount of smokers in this country and it comes to the billions. Want to talk diabetes? And it goes on from there.

Don’t want to sound like some kind of feel good libby here but it is a issue that needs some hard looking at. I quit cold turkey, no patches, etc., my first emergency. Came home, crushed the last 4 packs I had and then said “Lord, am I really going to need your help now.” And he is faithful. And I have not had a ciggy, neither do I want one ever again. I want to breath and be healthy.

Amazing. 42 years. Which begss the question: so why didn’t I do it sooner? I was hooked and needed that life changing wake up.

18. Claire, Unreasonable, Ideologically Stubborn Ruralite
    Posted April 4, 2011 at 10:13 am |

Dear Jan,

Your money leak is not via Fat Smoking Guy; it’s via Illegal Guy. WE know that. We thought YOU knew that. What happened?

Please address that and get back to us with your new numbers.

Rational AZ Citizens

19. Merovign
    Posted April 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm |

They’ve already claimed that EVERYONE’S health affects everyone else because of insurance, emergency rooms, etc.

Do you *seriously* think they’re going to stop with welfare recipients?

That’s like thinking only the rich will ever pay income tax. Whoops.

20. Snuffy Smith
    Posted April 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

Isn’t that “you know who’s” band on a break?

21. joe
    Posted April 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm |

Except for singling out only childless people, I have no problem with this. Medicare is a taxpayer expense, an expense on those who pay cash for their medical services and an expense even for those who have private health insurance.

I seem to recall tobacco companies and smokers paying out the ass for their sins several years ago.

And for the record, I could care less what anyone eats until they start wanting me to subsidize their lifestyle. Same for druggies and drunks. Until your lifestyle affects me, I could care less what you do.