your afternoon day-um !

Smoking’s baad, m’kay?

Manning the top of a compound south of Sangin, Afghanistan, [Marine] Sgt. Paul Boothroyd III took a sniper round to the head. He landed face down onto the muddy roof with a thud.

Fifteen minutes later, Boothroyd was bandaged, smiling, smoking a cigarette and giving the “thumbs up” as he waited for the medevac helicopter, to which he walked under his own power. [more]

Latest from Michael Yon. Great pics with short narrations.

Meanwhile, in Wisconsin …

Finish your assignment! »

Going AWOL to an Illinois resort is kind’a like being deployed to Afghanistan.
Right?

~ vid ~
No, jackass … it isn’t.
You had a hole in your head before you left, acted cowardly, and betrayed your countrymen.
You need to be spat-on at the airport.

1. Caged Insanity
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm |

“In the surgical ward, I was only one of two gunshot wounds. Everyone else, they’re all guys who have lost legs to [improvised explosive devices]. I look at those guys, and I think, ‘Do I really deserve a Purple Heart compared to these guys?’ ”

Amazing attitude he’s got. Takes a shot to the head from a sniper round and yet recognizes that he’s still a lot better off than others.

2. SteveHGraham
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

This pales in comparison to John Kerry’s epic splinters. Kerry’s injuries are the reason the Navy now stocks Purple Band-Aids with Snoopy and Spongebob Squarepants on them.

I dunno if it’s appropriate to celebrate a narrow escape from death by smoking an addictive weed that causes strokes, lung cancer, and impotence. But I suppose he earned the right to choose his own poison.

3. SherryM
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

OMG that is amazing! My uncle that was a captain in the USMC said that is called a hogs tooth. (the built that was meant to kill you)

4. Posted April 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm |

Great story with a happy ending. Now make the sequel and kill that Tango.

5. Lucius Severus Pertinax
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm |

Looks alot like Errol Flynn, don’t he? ;)

6. mojo
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm |

Fortunately, that’s a Marine’s least vulnerable spot.

7. Posted April 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

^^^ i rESEMBLE tHAT rEMARK!!!!

8. SherryM
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

“Errol Flynn” ~Lucius

WOW I was thinking the same thing!

9. SherryM
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm |

10. Caged Insanity
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

LMAO @ Mojo. Epic comment.

You Millitary types and your rivalries. :P

11. DougM
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm |

Thanks, mojo.
    I warn’t gonna say it.
    Got enough trouble with ColJ & Wollf on my @ss last few days,
    no need rilin’ up the other Jarheads Leathernecks.
    That there’d be whatchacall a career-limiting maneuver.

12. Justin Credible
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm |

Demonstrating my cultural acumen, I thought he looks like the hero from The Princess Bride.

13. Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

^^ ‘Sall good. :>

14. Justin Credible
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm |

Dang. Demonstrating my short attention span, I forgot my thought on the second clip.

The coward couldn’t even own up to the thought[?] he voiced. He had to blame it on an un-named little girl – sorta like Dingy Harry’s friend, “Bob”.

15. DougM
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

JustinC (12)
    Indeed. Cary Elwes.
    Prob’ly ’cause he looks like Errol Flynn.

Posted April 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

That was a great story— The horrible thing about the second one is no one pointed out the the truth to that little girl-( if there was one) they always have a story don’t they?— I would have said no honey it’s nothing like that— he left because he didn’t want to fight for us he’s a coward– your daddy is leaving because he does– your daddy is a hero– but of course the teacher was his wifey pooh—

17. rickn8or
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm |

Marine Pride: “Never let ‘em see you coming out prone.”

Right up there with the Army EOD guy flipping the bird at whoever triggered the IED he was working on.

18. rickn8or
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm |

But the ones that have it right are the Enlisted Airdale Navy; we send our officers to do the fighting while we go to chow.

19. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm |

Sorta know how he feels. I was in an Army hospital once, sick as all get out with blood poisoning from a non-combat injury, in danger of losing an arm. In my ward, I was surrounded by combat wounded. They guy next to me had 29 holes in his body from mortar fragments, there was another guy, formerly 185 lbs before he was gut shot, now 120Ibs. A couple times a day I helped him get out of his bed into a wheel chair and took him to the latrine to change his colostomy bag. His scar went from his pubes to his breastbone.
    There were men with bandages on their eyes, and from time to time one would call out to the ward “Will somebody who can see tell me what time it is?” The burn ward was on the other side of the wall behind us. I couldn’t go there and I’m getting choked up thinking about it.
    The difference between me and them was as hard and cold as a winter sun, and I don’t know if I ever felt more out of place. I was torn between wanting to stay and help, and wanting to get the hell out to make room for somebody more deserving.

20. Lance Luhrquer
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 9:06 pm |

Thanks for the post about Sgt. Boothroyd.
    The best of the best. He puts Hollywood to shame!
    I’ll bypass the interservice rivalry comments, (for now!)
    Some of you Porch Minkees have taken care of that quite well.

I’m kinda wishing the Indiana representative vid was nowhere
    near the post about Sgt. Boothroyd. I just hope his constituents
    realize what a complete a**hole he is & make sure he never holds
    public office again! That’s the most civilized comment I could think of!

21. LLoyd
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm |

what a story dick. God bless you and the strength he gave you.
    I picked up on his statement that caged insanity was the first to comment on I think like many of us here. Left me just completely humbled and yours too.

22. Lucius Severus Pertinax
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 12:03 am |

Sherry, after comparing the photo you posted, I must amend my earlier statement;
    Sgt. Boothroyd does not look a lot like Errol Flynn…he looks EXACTLY like Errol Flynn!

23. Melissa In Texas
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 6:09 am |

^The resemblance is astounding!
    He was incredibly fortunate.
    As for the chicken shit, asshat fleebagger….
    STFU!

24. mojo
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm |

The ghost of Claude Raines made me say it…

(Hey Doug – y’know why them Marines have threads on the insides of them pretty hats o’ theirs?)

25. mojo
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

PS: Helpful advice from an AF Tech Sgt. in a bar in the Philippines, one hazy night a long time ago:

“No, no, kid – hit the soft parts with yer hand. For their heads, ya gotta use an implement!”

26. DougM
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

Thanks, mojo.
    Usin’ that’s gonna get me an a**kickin’ someday.