It’s over, so we ain’t in Kansas, anymore, Toto.

Yesterday was a bit of a nail-biter for me and deadly for others, here in the Old North State. Spent the early part of the day watchin’ the radar for tornadoes — closest one was 7 or 8 miles.

Yeah, I know a lot’a y’all’re pretty used to these here thingamabobs, but we sure’shootin’ ain’t. No siree.
Lookin’ at the videos, seems like folks ’round here’d go down to the beach to watch a tsunami.

First, a nice threefer about an hour’s drive north of me.

~ vid ~

Second, a little play-by-play as a feller says goodbye to his wife.

~ vid ~

Finally, an interesting running commentary by a lady with a real mouth on ‘er
and about a half-dozen-word stress vocabulary.

(language definitely NSFW, srsly)

~ vid ~

1. Caged Insanity
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm |

Film #1: Amazing

Film #2: Amazing, but why wasn’t he driving away from the tornado when he clearly knew it was coming towards him? Was the only road out of the parking lot along the same path?

Film #3: My wife and I have been in the same situation, and while she was noticeably freaked out, her commentary would have been allowed in a church.

Hell, words like “fuck” and “shit” are appropriate in times of greaty pain, fear, and combinations thereof, but good grief, does this girl know any other adjectives?

2. PeggyU
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm |

Heck of a cloud in #1. Not sure why the guy in film 2 stayed put. I would have been making tracks for a basement.

3. Melissa In Texas
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 5:39 am |

I wondered how you fared, Doug, good to see that you are still with us.
    I have lived on the edge of tornado alley most of my life and I can say that there is an almost hypnotic fascination that occurs as you watch the clouds start to boil and rotate. The problem with trying to outrun the darn things is that they are unpredictable as all get out. I have experienced that terror on more than one occasion, had one pass over my house and hit the neighbor’s house. The effects of a twister are just astounding and in some, one house can be totally demolished and the next unscathed.
    I had one pass directly in front of me once as I was driving down a country road and I threw my car into reverse and drove down into a ditch to get the hell out of the way of the flying debris. That is NOT something I want to experience again, to say the least. As for the running commentary, I know I was doing a lot of praying during my close encounters!

4. dick
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 6:53 am |

“It’s time to get out of here.” One rational person in the bunch.
    I was also wondering why guy #2 didn’t leave or head for the big building off to his left.
    As long as gutter mouth was calling God, she should have done some praying.

5. Posted April 18, 2011 at 7:26 am |

Glad you and yours are oK, Doug!! Looks like for once the press didn’t overstate it!!

I’m allergic to tornadoes, so I’ll stay in SoCal where we just have earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, floods, overbearing tax burdens, lousy politicians……

Wait, maybe tornadoes ain’t that bad……..

6. Posted April 18, 2011 at 7:51 am |

I’m amazed at the unnatural calmness of the guy making video #2. Things are exploding all around him, and he never even sounds tense. Whatever he’s taking, I want some of it.

As far as video #3 goes, I think the Weather Channel (or perhaps Comedy Central) would have a winner with “Tourette’s Tornado Chasers.”

7. mojo
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 7:56 am |

“Aunty Em! Aunty Em!”

8. SondraK, naughty naughty bad wingnut
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 8:04 am |

Stilton, I suspect if that were me I’d sound similar :)

9. apotheosis
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 8:30 am |

#2: y’know, it’s possible to take this “laconic southern” bullshit entirely too far.

10. Caged Insanity
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 9:39 am |

Apo: The thought hit me late last night that what is really sad about vid #2 is that it’s entirely possible that the man simply didn’t care. As screwed up as the government has made things, there are a lot of people out of work and wondering where their next meal is coming from.
    The guy could simply have felt that dying in that manner would have helped his family situation.

Hard to say, but it sure doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like your car stalling on the train tracks and deciding to just wait for the train.

11. DougM
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

I interpreted guy #2 as trying to keep a calm voice so his wife on the other end of the phone conversation didn’t freak out.
    Kind’a like an airline pilot who comes on the PA, calmly pointing out a nice view of the Grand Canyon and the fire in engine #3.

12. Posted April 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm |

OMFG!!! LOL

13. The Ugly American
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

My two brothers living in Raleigh thankfully made it through unscathed.

Experiencing a tornado in NC is one thing but seeing multi-vortex tornadoes is quite another.

Very rare in this part of the country.

14. mojo
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

I went through one of those back in my kiddie days – uncle’s place in Kansas, got 7 tornados in one day.

One of them actually hit the town – pulled a century-old oak out of the ground in the town square and dropped in in some guy’s living room. Some scary shit.

Me, I was in a storm cellar.

15. apotheosis
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

Well yeah, Doug, I can see him tryin to keep the missus calm…but I can see him driving at right angles to the damn tornado at the same time, instead of just sittin’ there relaying info about how it’s comin right at him and “whoops, there goes the power lines…there goes a roof…”

I’d think the little woman might be more comforted by the idea that maybe he was trying to save his ass…

16. apotheosis
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

17. mojo
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm |

Hey, look! It’s COMMON MAN!

18. DougM
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm |

apo,
    Okay, you win, man.
    Can’t disagree with a thing you said.
    And, uh, I may steal your slogan (16).

19. Posted April 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

Cannot remember where I read this, somebody was asked why Deity’s Vacuum kept hitting this part of the country(OK) and the reply was “That’s proof this is God’s country; he’s vacuuming prior to taking up occupancy.”

20. blindshooter
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

I shop at the Fred’s Food club and get my prescriptions filled at the Walgreen’s that blew up in front of the dumb ass that won’t driving off in vid #2. I’ll be getting my bottles filled at another location as that one has a car in the pharmacy now. Eight miles away at my home not a shingle was lifted off the roof. The thing that gets me is the ground speed of the one in vid #2, looks like it went by at about 50mph. I had to work in the eastern part of the state( Bertie co) today and it looked to me like one path was a half mile wide. They have found 11 dead so far in that one alone. You can’t hide from them here, water table is too high for very many basements. A hurricane builds up slowly and picks your shit apart a piece at a time but these things run up and just blow your crap apart like a bomb dropped on you. Good clean living has saved me so far!

21. accipiter NW
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm |

So, Fat Baxter was the first to bring this severe weather to my attention. That was on Friday, and it looks like he checked back in on another thread (Vagionary) on Saturday. Anyway, hope all is well over there and there aren’t too many horrific stories to tell and everyone has got power/cable/internet again if it was ever lost.

The Pac NW area might get high winds once in a while but like So Cal, it is the weather “underground” that we have to worry about..

Posted April 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

I can imagine what the conversation is like in that house— must be fun during love making–Ya know like it was a big Fing deal–