Barabbas Obama

A roadside sign advertising the theme of a Palm Sunday sermon at a local church: “President Obama or King Jesus,” has upset at least one local family, but the parish pastor said the message was misinterpreted.

Bobbie Jo Gladitsch of the Town of Gardiner said both she and her mother were “unnerved” Saturday after reading the message on the portable sign outside the Gardiner Reformed Church.

The sign read: “President Obama or King Jesus Sunday 10:30 a.m.” It was the topic of the Sunday sermon scheduled to be given by the church pastor.

“It’s like he wants us to choose between the president and Jesus — which one should you believe in?” Gladitsch said.

But the Rev. Gary Sissel, church pastor, said he did not intend to offend anyone. He said the sermon was to compare the power exercised by the president of the United States — with his command of the armed forces — to the “humble” show of power by Jesus Christ, who on Palm Sunday made a triumphal entry into Jerusalem on a donkey as the crowds waved palm branches.

“It’s just a comparison of the use of power,” Sissel said.

Gladitsch, who said she is a supporter of President Barack Obama, said she and her mother were driving past the church on Route 44 when they saw the sign. Usually, she said, they find the weekly message on the sign “really cute” and even amusing, but the one on Saturday they found “unnerving.

“Nobody should have to choose between either,” she said. “I like both.”

Pausing to observe Holy Week amidst war and the policy struggles, President Barack Obama said on Tuesday that the agony of Jesus Christ through death and resurrection puts mere political struggle “in perspective.”…

… Obama said “critical national debates” are raging, and “my plate has been full as well. The in-box keeps accumulating. But then comes Holy Week …

“As busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season, we are reminded that there is something about the resurrection … of Our Savior Jesus Christ that puts everything else in perspective.”…

TDH in comments

1. Posted April 19, 2011 at 9:02 am |

No one should have to choose between either? You mean like what? You mean like you read that sign and tho’t you had to make a choice? eenee meenee minee mo?—

2. The Digital Hairshirt
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 9:36 am |

Ah, but then there is this:

“The story of Passover…instructs each generation to remember its past, while appreciating the beauty of freedom and the responsibility it entails. This year that ancient instruction is reflected in the daily headlines as we see modern stories of social transformation and liberation unfolding in the Middle East and North Africa.”

Except that it recalls the story of the Jewish people’s Exodus from slavery and into the desert to create their own land . . . which is decidedly antithetical to the “social transformation” of the Middle East.

Oy. Vey.

3. logdogsmith
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 9:45 am |

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

4. MCPO
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 9:51 am |

“For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”
    - Matthew 16:26

5. mojo
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 10:03 am |

Passover represents the mercy of God, shown by having Azarael, the Angel of Death, “pass over” the Hebrew houses marked with lamb’s blood on his way to killing the first born of Egypt.

6. DougM
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 11:13 am |

Typical jackass who reads the title then thinks they understand the book. You know, like congressmen.

7. The Digital Hairshirt
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 11:32 am |

MCPO, one of my favorite scenes in a movie/play comes from “A Man for All Seasons”, when St. Thomas More looks at his accuser, Sir Rich, after Rich has given false testimony in More’s trial, and notices his new badge of office – to which More asks, “Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world . . . but for Wales?”

8. iD
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 11:57 am |

It must be a really slow news day when two people “unnerved” by a sign is newsworthy.

BREAKING NEWS: Child swallows gum. Film at 11.

9. Posted April 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm |

Digi!!! I thought I was the only one….. Dammnable great line that was….”but….for Wales?”

10. mojo
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm |

I always liked Kate Hepburn’s line in “The Lion in Winter”

Henry: “Give me a little peace, woman!”
    Elanor: “Only a little? How modest. How about eternal peace? Now there’s a thought…”

11. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm |

Here’s an interesting little commentary on the Passover//Easter theme:

12. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

Uhbama didn’t even hold out for Wales. He sold his soul for votes in 2008.
    BTW, A Man For All Seasons, great movie. I thought I was the only one here who remembered it.

13. Snuffy Smith
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm |

I’ll celebrate the one who rose from the grave.
    No choice to be made.

14. Posted April 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm |

Jesus Bar Joseph, from the lineage of David who was anointed by God to be King after Solomon…..out of the line of Jesse….born of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob…foretold by the Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and all the prophets.

This Jesus did something no other could. He chose to die to save us all.

Digi,
    “…but for Wales? ”

Out of the Welsh came the Edward III, the Black Prince and his spawn, Henry V, who, on the field of Agincourt, defeated a superior (?) Fwench force.

I still am moved whenever I read or hear Will Shakespeare’s soliloquy from Henry V… “St. Crispin’s Day” :

What’s he that wishes so?
    My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
    If we are mark’d to die, we are enow
    To do our country loss; and if to live,
    The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
    God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
    By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
    Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
    It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
    Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
    But if it be a sin to covet honour,
    I am the most offending soul alive.
    No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
    God’s peace! I would not lose so great an honour
    As one man more methinks would share from me
    For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
    Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
    That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man’s company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
    This day is call’d the feast of Crispian.
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian.’
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say ‘These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.’
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

15. Nick Shaw
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 10:04 am |

Social transformation and liberation unfolding in the Middle East? Yeah, he’s still doing drugs. No question. And to compare Hebrews running from tyranny versus Middle Easterners running to tyranny is simply delusional!