the President’s head …

… Bibi went over it
Netanyahu addressed a joint meeting of Congress [full video BTF] and reminded him, them, and us what most of us already understand.

Given the recent jackassery exhibited by Obama on the question of Israel, there must have been great temptation for Uncle Bibi to take young Barry to the woodshed; but the wise old diplomat knew that wouldn’t help. Perhaps Netanyahu’s approach was due to a subtle Machiavellian calculation, perhaps a carefully polled tactical ploy, or perhaps a deep understanding of Americans and our government. Perhaps … but I think it was more likely the result of what we used to know in this nation as principled, courageous leadership: leadership that understands and speaks the truth, who knows what the government’s primary job is, who knows what his country is and who his countrymen are, who knows what the stakes are, who recognizes and understands the real enemies, who is intent of fixing (rather than exploiting) problems, who knows on who’s behalf he works, who can clarify issues, and who understands that all this can change tomorrow … again.

There’s not enough time to write a thorough review, but a few things struck me:
• The speech’s real value comes when seen in its entirety, but it will be shown as chopped-up, issue-specific vidbites.
• Netanyahu knows the difference between the Beltway and real America.
• He understands that Obamunism is a transient in a long-term relationship, and he’s strategizing for that fact.
• Clear truth can still have a vital impact, even surrounded by a cacophony of confusing lies (even in Congress); but that can only be communicated directly to an audience, not through the media filter, spin, and Template™.
• Courage is an indispensable quality in both international relations and national survival.
• Israel’s enemies in Congress will stand and applaud Netanyahu to his face while the cameras are on, because they’re duplicitous cowards jackasses.
• Character is somewhat shocking in a politician.
• His hand, he had Congress eating out if it.
• And finally, Netanyahu understands America better than Obama does.

Bottom line: Is it wrong, this feeling?
Why do I feel more comfortable with Benjamin Netanyahu addressing Congress in Washington DC while Obama is overseas, than the other way around?

Here’s a simplistic, but valid, 5-min overview of the “defensible borders” issue.

Finish your assignment! »

Yeah, I know. MSNBC. Bear with me.
This is the only full video I could find.
I’ll replace it when I find another one.

Meanwhile …

1. Kasheasti
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 11:58 am |

Bottom line: Is it wrong, this feeling?

a) No, and ii) most likely because of that last bullet point AND Bibi ADMIRES this country, if not the jackass currently at the head of it.

2. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm |

Very well said Doug.
    Why do I feel more comfortable with Benjamin Netanyahu
    Because we can feel the difference between a strong, good and wise man and a twenty-something huckster covering for the fact he’s in beyond his depth.
    General George Washington vs. Captain Bullshit speaking on their accomplishments.

3. Whitehall
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

Let’s invite Israel to be our 51st state. Then we could have Bibi run for President of the US of A!

I’d vote for him.

4. bigviking
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm |

Nice put-back about the beltway…….
    When you listen to him it is possible to believe that someday there will be peace in Israel……Shalom

5. Posted May 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

I’d be more than comfortable with a President Netanyahu; not least of all because he would never accept the post – there are so many silly and unserious folks playing at being Congressional, instead of actually working to meet the country’s challenges.

6. Posted May 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

On the ‘perhaps’, I tend to think “Yes”. As in ‘combination of the above’. The man is smart, experienced, principled and courageous; I think he considered and argued all the angles in detail before he decided what to say.

7. gsebes
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm |

WHITEHALL….Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! 51st State, I like it! BiBi as Pres, I like that too.

8. SondraK, naughty naughty bad wingnut
    Posted May 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm |

Benjamin Netanyahu is one of the top greatest men of my time and probably makes my heart beat the fastest of all.

He is absolutely stunning. I got to see this just before we checked out of our hotel this morning and I am STILL blown away.

We saw one of those “Palestinian” mouthpieces speaking to a Canadian newsbabe the other day, remarking how they’re still “deciphering” Obama’s speech from last week.

They won’t be having to do that with Bibi’s.

Posted May 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm |

How did we ever get stuck with who we have– the contrast is glaring!!

Posted May 24, 2011 at 6:10 pm |

To think he did that without a teleprompter. It is also so obvious when a speaker is genuine–that cannot be imitated.

Nice video on the geography and borders–bookmarked.

11. Posted May 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm |

Someday, Bibi or a GOP candidate will ask the overdue question:

“When, in the last century, has the US State Department ever reflected the vastly pro-Jewish sentiment of the American citizens? Ignore the 1967 or 1948 borders. Ask why nobody mentions the COMPLETE 1920 map of the Palestinian Mandate and why the fiction of Jordan was illegally granted two-thirds of the territory, now Judenrein, and only the remaining third was further partitioned.

Let’s be honest, if there was truth in naming, the name of a second Arab country carved out of Palestine shouldn’t be called Palestine. The country should properly be named EraseIsrael. The entire Muslim world — oh heck, most of the UN — is united that the purpose of such a country is not for Judenrein and, increasingly, Christianrein self-rule but to be a stage toward the eventual annihation of Israel.”

12. Posted May 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm |