today’s honorary KisPer

A leisurely Saturday afternoon in the park quickly mutated into a real-life horror scene when three pit bulls attacked a man and his German shepherd without warning, police said.

During the unprovoked attack, the man pulled out his concealed weapon and opened fire, hitting one of the pit bulls and scaring off the others.

“If I didn’t have my gun – I’d be dead right now,” he later told KOMO News.

“It was an instant decision. It’s not something I wanted to do. I love animals.”

Kirkland police Sgt. Rob Saloum said the violent drama unfolded Saturday as a local man was playing catch with his 3-year-old German shepherd across from Juanita Bay Park, in the 9700 block of NE Juanita Drive.

At the same time, another man was there with his three unleashed pit bulls.

The owner of the German shepherd, Tim Lewis, said he threw a tennis ball for his dog – and that’s when the pit bulls pounced.

“All hell broke loose,” he said.

Lewis said the three dogs came loping up and began savagely attacking the German shepherd in a pack.
Lewis said he fought to protect his dog and at one point it appeared he may have scared off the pit bulls. The owner of the pit bulls, a Seattle man, also tried to pull the dogs off the German shepherd.
But the three suddenly came back – and this time they attacked both the German shepherd and the owner.
Lewis, a legal gun owner who has a concealed weapon permit, pulled out his handgun and opened fire at that point, shooting one of the pit bulls and scaring away the two others.
Charles McLennan was nearby and watched in horror as pit bulls attacked.
“If he didn’t have that gun, he would probably be dead,” McLennan said of Lewis….

1. Posted May 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm |

My next door neighbor has two pits and they worry the Hell out of me. He has a cage one of those 8×8 things, as required by county laws, he’s also supposed to have extra insurance and keep them under control..

but he doesn’t..

They’ve gotten out three times since we moved in, once running straight over to me, and my one year old Beagle Jack Russel mix. His girlfriend can’t control them, and they don’t use leashs to walk them to their pen, just let em out and yell for em to go in it.

But if something catches their eye, they run straight to it. They didn’t attack, but stood there growling at my dog in my yard,. the girl came and got em one at a time, while I stood between them and Duke.. The next time, they chased a cat,.. a stray, and there are alot of those around here.

I know they can be vicious, a male female pair. I’ve seen the male go postal on the female in their pen, chewed the Hell out of her, and I worry about my kids… That douch screamed at my back neighbor for his dogs chasing a cat, claiming it was his,… and yada yada yada.. the usual, I can’t control a dog, but will blame everybody else in town for it excuses.

I’ve spoken once with the girlfriend,.. and if I must, I’ll get in 22 year old dickheads face about it. I shouldn’t get into a fight with a big dog,.. but I’d break it’s neck before it got my wife, my kids, my dog.. and trust me,.. I am still capable of that.

adrenaline is my friend.

I still haven’t bought a gun,.. never needed one before.

What is it with pit owners and their need to endanger everyone else around them? Love em fine,.. but safety first on a dog breed known to go psyhco without warning. Leash, cage. Or move outside town away from kids.

2. SondraK, naughty naughty bad wingnut
    Posted May 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm |

^ It’s not just Pit Bulls…I walk a lot of dog in a day and I can’t tell you how many retards there are out there who get to own a dog…….
    *I* have a crazy unsocial dog and he sometimes even wears a cage muzzle when situations warrant it. Cheap insurance and a whole lot less emotionally devastating than a Dr and/or vet bill.
    And we use a 2′ leash. He’s always right by my side.

If it ever gets real serious, and I pray all day long that it never does, I won’t hesitate to shoot. And not pepper spray or a .22.
    And NOT my dog.

3. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted May 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm |

Predation happens.

Think about a cheap snubbie .22 loaded with rat shot.
    I used it on a local 6-pack of feral dogs that were attacking my rough-coat Jack bitch up in VA. As soon as one turned its back to me, I nailed it in the patoot at about 15′. It stings the bejeezus out’a ‘em, and the others know exactly what that *bang!*ay*ay*ay*ay*ay* means, so you only need to nail one of ‘em.
    They never returned.

Also used a foxhunting whip to deal with a big ol’ mean sumpthinorother that was stalkin’/growlin’ at me and the Jack out on a walk. Did a precision crack right in front of its nose at 8′. It ran and stopped at about 50′, then looked away as if we weren’t there, and never came close ever again. The Jack just sat and looked up at me with a worshipful “day-um!” look on ‘er face. Yep, gotta protect your wimmin.

4. blindshooter
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 3:22 am |

I’m sure there are no more Pitt bulls that are antisocial than any other breed. I work inside private homes sometimes and the only time I’ve been bitten was by small breeds never a big dog of any breed. Not saying it can’t happen but that’s my experience. I used Doug’s method once on a neighbors sheep dog, I would come home late and there he would be on the back steps and would not let me in the house. I came home ready for him later with the .22 loaded with rat shot and gave him a load when he growled at me. Hair flew off his ass and he went home not be seen on my steps again.

5. logdogsmith
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 5:32 am |

I walk my border collie mix around the park every morning, on a leash. Had a pit bull charge the two of us a couple months back. I puffed up and yelled at him and stopped the charge, but he just stood about 10′ away growling, while the owner was 100′ away yelling for the dog. I yelled at the guy to get his f’ing dog. He came and got it, and complained that “there’s usually nobody out at 5:30 in the morning.
    I don’t know about other folks, but when I used to let my aussie off his leash, I would scan the area constantly looking for anything my dog might want to “investigate” such as people, other dogs, cats, squirrels, birds. As soon as I saw something, I would call my dog to me. He was a good dog, never ran at people and I could call him from running after dogs. But once he was chasing a cat or rabbit etc, he was deaf to me.

It’s somewhat embarrassing when strangers witness your dog killing a cat and trotting up to you with the cat in its mouth.

6. Melissa In Texas
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 5:50 am |

I would drop an attacking dog with no hesitation if I thought I was in danger and I once used a stun gun on a pit as I walked toward an enclosed yard I needed to enter, which meant the damn thing was waaay too close. I popped it through the fence. Odd, the hound ran away every time he saw me after that.
    As for attacking one of my animals, I do not believe that Stretch the wonder weenie would be much of a match for anything, but he sure thinks he is a badass.

Posted May 27, 2011 at 5:50 am |

There are snake shot loads available for all common calibers, too.

I have the Taurus Judge on my wish list.

Smith and Wesson has one now, too.

The Governor. No srsly.

8. Melissa In Texas
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 5:52 am |

mech, that is sweet.

Posted May 27, 2011 at 7:31 am |

Mech,

I imagine a Taurus Judge firing snakeshot would be equivalent to a Napoleon 10 pounder cannon firing *cannister* load! Vaporize a dog—or—-a platoon of Confederate Rebels….? Go for it….. ;)

10. Caged Insanity
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 9:27 am |

The only flaw I see in the story is that after shooting the pit bull, the man did not also solve the root of the problem and shoot the owner.

11. SteveHGraham
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 9:31 am |

A lot of people forget that you don’t have to fear for your life in order to use deadly force legally. Serious injury, rape, and kidnapping also qualify. But none of that matters, since these were dogs, not people. Shooting a dog illegally is either animal cruelty or a property crime or both. There is no such thing as dog murder or dogslaughter. You can shoot a dog for a whole bunch of reasons.

12. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm |

Ooh, just ran across another way.

13. Posted May 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

A couple of months back, about three blocks away, a police officer shot and killed a mastiff that charged him when making a call. The dog was the reason for him being there, as he was loose and charging, snarling at people who had to run inside, or duck into their cars.

I love dogs so much,… I always have,. and as sad as a dogs being shot like that makes me, you have to protect people first…

A question,… my pups only flaw,.. what’s the best way to teach him not to jump up on people to give em puppy licks? Not everyone likes getting romped on by a forty pound dog, and I’ve had no trouble teaching him anything else… He’s a perfectly house broken dog, who’ll wake me up if he really has to go…

Or will that go away when he turns two?