The Fallen …Gone But Never Forgotten

1. TimB52
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 11:36 pm |

Indeed.

Watched Taking Chance with the wife today. It’s become required Memorial Day viewing since we first saw it. This film chokes me up every time I see it, and that is very hard to do.

With us or not we salute you, our Veterans.

2. apotheosis
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 4:15 am |

Amen.

3. Posted May 30, 2011 at 5:07 am |

Yeup….Taking Chance is required viewing in the Svenska household on this day. Not a fan of Kevin Bacon, but he did an admirable job.

In Remeberance:
    - Wm. “Woody ” Martin, Lieutenant, Navy
    - A.B. “Bob” Anthony, Captain, Army Air Corp
    - Carl Wallace Lundquist, Lieutenant, Marine Corp
    - Wm. Henry Ripley, Captain, Army Air Corp
    - Wm. David Simmons, Gunnery Sgt, Marine Corp
    - Clayton “Chuck” Kemp, Specialist 2nd Class, Navy
    - Donald “Duck” Yarrington, Master Sgt, Army

Some gave all, all gave some. God bless ‘um.

4. The Digital Hairshirt
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:42 am |

In Remembrance:

- Maj. Stuart Wolfer, US Army – killed April 2008 in Iraq.

Posted May 30, 2011 at 7:07 am |

I’ll be raising a glass today in their honor.

6. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 9:03 am |

In memory of two men I never met, but wish I had:

Bugler Howard Irvine Carroll, my grandfather
    117th Trench Mortar Battery, 42nd (Rainbow) Division, WW1, 1917 – 1919
    The 117th fired for every infantry regiment in the Rainbow and for other divisions in their sectors at
    (1) Luneville sector, Lorraine, February 21 to March 23, 1918;
    (2) Baccarat sector, Lorraine, March 31 to June 21, 1918;
    (3) Esperance-Souain sector, Champagne, July 4 to July 17, 1918;
    (4) Champagne-Marne defensive, July 15 to 17, 1918;
    (5) Aisne-Marne offensive, July 25 to August 3, 1918;
    (6) Aisne-Marne offensive July 25 to August 11, 1918;
    (7) St. Mihiel offensive, September 12 to 16, 1918;
    (8) Essey and Pannes sector, Woevre, September 17 to 30, 1918;
    (9) Meuse-Argonne offensive, October 12 to 31, 1918;
    (10) Meuse-Argonne, October 7 to November 1, 1918;
    (11) Meuse-Argonne offensive, November 5 to 10, 1918;
    (12) Meuse-Argonne offensive November 5 to 9, 1918.
    They stood before Sedan with the most advanced units of the AEF, and participated in the Rhine Occupation
    Awards: Victory Medal with 5 bars, Occupation Medal, Croix de Guerre
    Granddaddy Irvine died after the war from effects of being gassed.

Capt. Donald L. Gambrill, my father’s best friend, best man and my Godfather,
    485th Bomb Group (Heavy), WW2
    55 missions as B-24 pilot over Germany & Italy
    Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart
    KIA 10-Apr-45

7. Maria Edi
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 10:30 am |

When in Washington DC, I went to Arlington to pay my respects for all those who have died for my freedom, even if they didn’t imagine I ever existed.
    As Trace Adkins says: “son, this is what it costs to keep us free.”
    So, as you are doing your errands today, if you meet a vet, shake his hands in my behalf.

Greetings from a cold but sunny Brasil.
    Maria Edi

Posted May 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm |

To the Marine 1st Lt who died in my arms while waiting for a medevac chopper I called. Vietnam, November 1966. He gave all.

9. MCPO
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

May they enjoy the peace of Fiddler’s Green.

10. Chuck from Tacoma
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 10:05 pm |

My grand daughter and I went to the services at Tahoma National Cemetery this afternoon to pay our respects to those who have served and given so much.
    While there, we came accross two of her friends, one from school and one from the youth center where she likes to hang out after school. Those kids were their to pay respect and honor their parents.
    I have never questioned the wars and why we are fighting.
    But God, at what price did those children pay.
    My heart is very heavy right now.

11. Annoying Mike
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm |

To all of you at KisP, who have remembered a fallen soldier, sailor, airman, or marine or just remembered those who have served. I want to say, “thank you.”

I remember what all of you did for me some 20 months and how it helped me in my darkest moments after 16 October 2009.

Your acts of kindness and compassion for our military and their families have an impact far beyond what you might imagine.

12. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm |

Mike, no parent ever expects to bury his child, and your loss is beyond my comprehension.
    Bearing that loss, and still thinking of us speaks mightily of you as a man.