tonight’s tv dinner

Gettysburg …premieres Monday, May 30 at 9/8c on History

1. The Digital Hairshirt
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:40 am |

I have been anticipating this highly since I saw the trailer. Even bought the music they used. Gettysburg is on my bucket list to photograph and now with moving to Knoxville, I’ll be within a weekend drive.

2. apotheosis
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:57 am |

I’m not sure I’ll watch it, but it’s nice to see the History channel is actually taking a stab at presenting history.

Who knows, if they can make a trend out of it I might even start paying attention to them again.

Posted May 30, 2011 at 7:10 am |

I’ll have to wait till it becomes available online.

Posted May 30, 2011 at 8:15 am |

Spoiler Alert: Blue Bellys win……

5. The Digital Hairshirt
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm |

Aw, dammit, Colonel Jerry, Sir!!!

Posted May 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

AND, latest rumor circulating = That *perfumed* Reb General Pickett`s Division was mostly San Francisco boys…..

7. Fat Baxter
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

I’m currently reading a book about Lee’s army. It amazes me how many men were packed into rather smallish battlefields.

8. Paul
    Posted May 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm |

I watched it.

God, and I say that with reverence, it was a tragedy. We won but at a grievous cost. I have no doubt many of the survivors woke up at night screaming for years afterward.

They say Audie Murphy did to. Sometimes waking up and firing his .45 at phantoms as he relived what happened to him and the ones around him.

All it takes is a sound, or a sight ,or smell, that coincided with the sounds, sights and smells of what they experienced long ago. And it literally transports them back and for the moment they are back there again.

Yes, Gettysburg was a tragedy, but a necessity, for no one can own another, and I say that as a Texican (born and raised here.) We are all free or we are all slaves.

The right side won.

9. Spin
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 2:08 am |

Just this moment finished watching this on the DVR.

I knew the outcome going in but didn’t expect the southerners to be portrayed so poorly. Each of the examples was either, an aristocrat slave owner, a wealthy slave owner, a doctor who owned slaves or a Maryland slave owner that fought against his neighbors. Nary a good ol’ boy that day I guess.
    Oh and when they showed the men giving the ‘rebel yell’ I’m sure they filmed it in the UK, the teeth were that bad.

And if they said “… if the rebel forces had _________ General Meade would have been forced to leave the battlefield” or similar words, I’d have thrown things a my TV.

10. TimO
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 4:56 am |

Funny part of the evening was the Geico commercial with the reenactors (+caveman) sitting around the campfire bitching about how wrong they’re re-creating. I know a gal who is a re-enactor (and goes to Gettysburg nearly every year) and goes through this so I gotta find out this week if she saw it.

11. Posted May 31, 2011 at 11:48 am |

Missed it, I’m sure I’ll be able to catch it somewhere, ..

I read the Killer Angels, which the first Gettysburg movie was based on, I enjoyed the movie and the book, but don’t know how much license they took with history.

I’d like to see the new one.

12. mojo
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm |

I wanna find out why they kept having these big battles inside of National Parks…

13. The Ugly American
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm |

Definitely a WTF stereotypical depiction of southerners.

As if the federals never experienced dental hygiene issues.

Besides the fact that both sides carried toothbrushes in their haversacks.

And their not even mentioning some of the more famous skirmishes (ex. little roundtop) was kind of weird too.

Though I did enjoy hearing more about the experiences of the lesser-known officers and infantry soldiers …not to mention the various forms of artillery and its effects.

I could’ve done less with the talking heads too. They really didn’t add much that I already hadn’t heard or ready about.

All in all, not bad but the CG effects were definitely a highlight.

14. travis wilde
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 9:32 pm |

I’ve been to G’burg a couple of times; my first visit started a dabbling interest in that battle and some of the other major battles of the Civil war. I didn’t get a real feel for the battle from the History Channel although the depiction of the individual experiences was striking: the amputations, laying on a field bleeding out, waiting for the next cannon blast while expecting vaporization with the shot.

There was nothing about how the troops initiated the fight: it just seemed to start on the first day. The second day centered on Sickles’ salient and then it was over. On the third day, Pickett’s charge failed and everyone went away leaving bodies and the wounded on the field.

I was expecting to see how Ewell got around to Culp’s Hill and why Longstreet never quite got around the Union’s left, among other things. I wanted to see why such a massive barrage on the third day failed to do much damage on Cemetery Ridge.

The special was worth watching, but it left me feeling I was watching Civil War Light.