The Big Shoe steps into Turkey

JR recorded a Really Big Shoe with our good friend Professor K who took off with his wife ( and my dear dear friend ) and their daughter for an adventure to Istanbul to teach for a couple of years and experience the culture.
While I was highly skeptical and apprehensive at first (Mrs. Professor K has the spirit of us KisPian women:), their adventures have been nothing but positive and and truly fascinating. Enough to make us yearn for a visit…

Click the link to listen in…

Show 6 12 2011

We hope to get the show going live at some point but are still ironing out some of the technical issues…in this case, the logistics and time difference made that impossible but that they were able to set this up was a feat in and of itself and they pulled it off almost flawlessly!

1. apotheosis
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:08 am |

Istanbul, lesson 1:

NOT Constantinople.

2. apotheosis
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:13 am |

Fact: if you get a theme song by Tom Lehrer, you’re doing something right with your life.

3. apotheosis
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:29 am |

OK, totally OT but I have a question about this pseudo-vegetarian thing mentioned in the interview…not REALLY a vegetarian, MOSTLY a vegetarian, but will eat turkey and fish.

WTF. My daughter is on a similar kick…won’t eat beef, but anything else is okay…fish, fowl, pork, whatever.

How does one decide which animals are too damn cute to eat, and which ones aren’t? What’s the cutoff there? She can’t give me a rational answer, but I bet a professor(tm) could.

4. Claire: dirty, dirty wingnut
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:43 am |

Here’s another non-rational cog for your machine, Apo: I won’t eat sheeep of any kind. Because they are ugly and stupid and they stink.

and goats? completely out of the question.

5. SondraK, naughty naughty bad wingnut
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:48 am |

apo, if you could only get one type of zucchini you’d start eating other things too!

6. apotheosis
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:49 am |

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have any quibble with someone not eating a certain meat for a silly reason. Or even a good one. Hell, I won’t eat ham, even though I’ll eat any other part of a pig, just because I got turned off by those damn canned hams (with the awful horrible clear jelly stuff packed in the can) I got when I was a kid.

That’s fine. I’m just weirded out by people who say “I’m a vegetarian, but I’ll eat (insert animal here).”

NO, YOU AIN’T. You’re a damn omnivore like the rest of us apes, so get off yer high horse.

7. apotheosis
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:50 am |

And goats is tasty. Mmmm, tacos.

Posted June 14, 2011 at 10:26 am |

Awww crap Apo, now I`ll never again order tacos at my fav messican restaurant!

9. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 11:00 am |

I’m a conflicted pseudo-vegi/ovo-lacto/carni/omnivore:
    I refuse to eat kitties and puppies,
    but I also refuse to eat broccoli and peas.

Well, at least I ain’t a LSM limnivour.

10. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 11:20 am |

Oh, right, Turkey.
    If you go to Turkey, be sure to visit Ephesus. It is seriously awesome.
    Then go to Bodrum. Not only does it have a neat harbor fort, you can rent a boat for a couple weeks and sail among the Greek islands. Uhm, come to think of it, skip the other stuff; and just do this. Trust me.

11. SondraK, naughty naughty bad wingnut
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 11:25 am |

^ I was just planning to go for the cuisine.

Posted June 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm |

DRAK,

I hear there is gonna be an exciting med cruise fm Turkey to Israel this summer!

13. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm |

Missy,
    How’s a Greek salad with feta and olive oil sprinkled on top plus a little cold lamb kabob and washed down with a Riesling while lying on deck in the sun while sailing the twenty miles to the next Greek island sound?
    Then, after arriving, a stroll around the village, then spending a couple hours in the shade at a waterfront taverna deciding which restaurant to eat at, always with a calamari starter. In the morning, same routine, but at the other restaurant. That, my dear, is cruising cuisine.

14. SondraK, naughty naughty bad wingnut