there, I said it

Is it just me or the visuals of the September Eleventh victims flowing into a deep black square hole in the ground the worst possible analogy of the whole event?
Perhaps a fountain in the middle spraying upward would be more fitting?

And in TEN YEARS they didn’t have enough time to get all the names spelled correctly before they were etched into the stone bronze??????

1. MitchM
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:43 am |

OK, being employed in the engraving industry I can tell you that having just one name wrong out of that many is actually great. Unless you do this stuff for a living you have no clue what it’s like trying to get that many names right. Even with everyone checking and double checking and triple checking each other you can still have a screw up every now and then. And “Jeffery/Jeffrey” is one of those names that can slip right by your eyes without you noticing. The panels can be replaced individually, they were designed for that. No big deal. The parents should just relax and accept that no one is perfect and it was not done on purpose.

2. Hopefulone
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:48 am |

I see that black square as a symbol of the “religion of peace.” It’s that thing they worship and march around, during which trample each other to death, in mecca. I am fine with that: “This is what islam did in NYC. Never forget the evil. Don’t submit. Fight against it.”

Who was on that selection committee, BTW?

3. DJMoore
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:49 am |

Another comment I’ve seen: “They’ve gold plated the craters.”

4. SondraK, TEA Party zombie
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:51 am |

MitchM, if you had 10 years and a budget of millions and 9338546765342 people involved in the process?????

Not to disparage you or what you do in any way but this wasn’t exactly a plaque for a Little League team.

5. AZHolmes
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:31 am |

I saw a link in the lower right corner of story to a story titled:
    9/11 Memorial Lists 11 “Unborn”

6. MitchM
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:53 am |

OK, one, it wasn’t stone, it was bronze. Two, the people who made the bronze plates didn’t have ten years, they only had a few months because nobody else got their shit together until the last minute. And three, I don’t do little league plaques very much. I do a lot of high end stuff including set ups for bronze castings. Trust me, I’m the expert on this. I’m sure they busted their butts trying to get it right. Sh*t happens.

7. SondraK, TEA Party zombie
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:59 am |

Not to disparage you or what you do in any way

8. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:03 am |

That’s kind of what Orwell’s memory hole would look like.

9. MitchM
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:06 am |

Yeah, well, watch it with the little league cracks lady! ;)

They had a special on Discovery or the History Channel or something on Sunday where they showed the guys who won the contract to make the bronze stuff for the memorial and it really was last minute. Something like 7 months left when they got the approval after doing a scale mock up. It was amazing the thing got done on time.

10. Claire: barbarian, etc
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:09 am |

Fabulous.

In ToDaZeD Amerikkka, we [US] allowed these mooks to build a memorial to the success of terrorism.

I think a more fitting memorial to those who died would be a pair of buildings, dedicated to trade, 10 stories higher than the originals. Built within months.

Grief-gasm, indeed. *

And so we commemorate an act of war as a “tragic event,” and we retreat to equivocation, cultural self-loathing, and utterly fraudulent misrepresentation about the events of the day. In the weeks after 9/11, Americans were enjoined to ask “Why do they hate us?” A better question is: “Why do they despise us?” And the quickest way to figure out the answer is to visit the Peace Quilt and the Wish Tree, the Crescent of Embrace and the Hole of Bureaucratic Inertia.

11. SondraK, TEA Party zombie
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 10:21 am |

My husband played on a little league team ;)

If that’s the case….forcing them to RUSH through that at the last minute is even MORE disgusting.

12. Gomer
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:00 am |

Finally! Somebody agrees with what I thought when I first saw those ugly square toilets

I, the ultimate totally UNartistic person, could have come up with something a Damn sight better than those two square toilets.

They are a national disgrace.

13. Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:19 am |

Because the motherless bastards in charge were too busy worrying about being ‘inclusive’ and ‘non-judgemental’ and PC-no-matter-the-price to actually DO SOMETHING like rebuild; hell, how long did they play games over trying to make the statues of the firemen raising the flag something other than what they were?

Fuck ‘em; they don’t want a actual memorial, they want an apology to the world and to blame us for it.

14. bigviking
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:32 am |

I guess we should be grateful there wasn’t a huge flame coming out of the square hole…..
    I like the idea of replacing the towers with even larger towers best…..

15. greenlantern2011
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:52 am |

I agree, THIS CANNOT BE THE LAST WORD on this matter. We should build the biggest, least apologetic monument to Capitalism and Americanism. Make it as huge, garish, tasteless and over-the-top as all the Proglodytes judge the USA to be, anyhow. Maybe a big, middle finger sculpture that says “Here’s your mosque, Islam! Signed, Uncle Sam!”

16. apotheosis
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm |

Pardon my french. In advance.

Fuck everything about this “memorial”. It is a tacit admission that, having been brought low, we fully intend to stay that way.

17. Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm |

It’s as if those be memorialized are being flushed down a very fancy toilet. Those were my first thoughts.

18. Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm |

Photobucket

19. Merovign
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm |

All the early discussion of a “monument” was about an even bigger building complex. Saying “you can’t stop us.”

Put the monument on the 300th floor.

I figured maybe even an Arcology, cover the whole area. Largest (volume) building in the world.

Instead, we get horsepuckey and ceremonies without room for the firefighters or cops that actually dug through the rubble.

20. Merovign
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

Also, if they were going to do a monument, one that would not inevitably end up in a hundred youtube videos about people who fell into it and had to be lifted out by a tow truck would have been nice.

21. daisy
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm |

I would have prefered to have the buildings rebuilt but let’s be honest. They’d be mostly empty. Nobody would have the guts to have theri business or work there.

22. dick not quite dead white guy
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

What Claire and Firehand said. Ten years of fiddledicking around, tiptoeing through the tulips of unoffending everybody in the world, of placating the egos of arrogant asshole architects and ‘artists’ is a national disgrace.
    Throw Bloomberg and the design committee down the hole.

23. Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm |

On the other hand, the design might be okay if it turns out there’s actually a linen-wrapped corpse at the bottom of one of those holes…

24. John A
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm |

I do not much care for it, but compared to the first three or four years of “approved [to be voted upon]” proposals it is not really terrible. Now, if the Mayor had been thrown into it as part of the opening ceremonies…

I have not heard recently about what the “museum” underground is going to look like, or more importantly contain. Anyone else?

25. Susan Lee
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm |

A black void? It’s an A-theist-ic memorial, then, isn’t it? …No transcendence…

Susan Lee

26. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm |

I have an idea to salvage the design:
    Have a crowd yell, “This. is. America!” and kick a barbarian terrorist into the hole on 11 September each year.

27. bigviking
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm |

I was thinking that we should build the worlds tallest structure there….modeled slightly like the Seattle Space Needle except the final effect to be a mushroom cloud…..

Still, Doug’s idea (26) is cheaper…..

28. Fat Baxter
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm |

I didn’t know those were monuments to 9/11. I thought they were the proverbial hole down which millions of taxpayers’ dollars are flushed.

Maybe they should have one of those electronic numeric billboards, scrolling up the amount of money wasted.

29. Steve In Tulsa
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:48 pm |

I can see how the cool falling water would be welcome to those who, baking alive, leapt into the cool air

Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm |

I got nuthin without breaking my keyboard. . .

Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:27 pm |

Except maybe this: what is up with the massive profusion of monuments large and small?

And why are the large ones so epically gargantuan beyond reasonable justifcation?

If the same were done in WWII, the entire continent of europe would have been paved over and made into one monument.

32. Henri Claude
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm |

…if they filled that thang with crushed ice it would remind me more of the big piss troughs you would’ve found in a Men’s room of one of the big Glam Rock and Roll Clubs on Magsaysay Street in Olongapo City outside the US Navy’s Subic Bay Navy Base back in the day…..

33. Mike W
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm |

I would much rather see the names of those lost put on 2 bombs and have them dropped on Mecca and Medina.

34. logdogsmith
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm |

Should have made two towers. One with a Cross and one with a Star of David.

35. Melissa In Texas
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm |

My friend from NYC who held vigil this weekend for many lost friends and classmates stated:
    Great… another black hole to pull people out of when they jump

Posted September 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm |

I s’pose it’s beautiful and all but what are they s’pose to signify? It’s like—What??–

37. greenlantern2011
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:14 pm |

@Bohemian: Excellent!

38. JimB
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:22 am |

It signifies America being flushed down the crapper.

39. Kristopher
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:25 am |

They should have nuked the Mideast, removed the Kaabah from the rubble, and melted it into a giant statue of George Bush pointing a sword at Mecca, and placed that at the site.

40. Merovign
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm |

Sure, we couldn’t afford to build the buildings *now* for lack of business, but that wasn’t true before 2007.