#UnOccupiedWarsaw

The Gipper wins another one.

Former Polish president and anti-communist leader Lech Walesa unveiled a statue of Ronald Reagan on an elegant Warsaw street on Monday, honoring the late U.S. president for inspiring Poland’s toppling of communism.

Though Reagan’s legacy is mixed in the U.S., across much of central and eastern Europe he is considered the greatest American leader in recent history for challenging the Soviet Union.

The moniker he gave it — the “evil empire” — resonated with Poles, who suffered greatly under Moscow-imposed rule.

“I wonder whether today’s Poland, Europe and world could look the same without president Reagan,” Walesa said. “As a participant in those events, I must say that it’s inconceivable.”

The 3.5-meter (11.5-foot) bronze statue depicts a smiling Reagan in a historic moment — as he stood at a podium at Berlin’s Brandenburg gate in 1987 and said the famous words, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”

Several statues of Reagan have gone up this year, the centennial of Reagan’s birth. Most notably, monuments to him have been erected in London and in Budapest, Hungary, and yet another is to be unveiled later this week in the former Soviet republic of Georgia.
[more]

1. SondraK, TEA Party zombie
    Posted November 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm |

Ok. THIS is awesomeness.

Thanks.

Posted November 21, 2011 at 11:11 pm |

I would like to see more statues of Him around here.

Maybe some new towns need to be named Reagan, much like the many Lincolns and Franklins. This is a man who deserves to be immortalized and whose life and deeds should be taught to our present and future generations, lest we forget who set the bar in the past century.

3. PeggyU
    Posted November 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm |

^ Agreed, wholeheartedly!!!

4. Chris in nc
    Posted November 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm |

“Though Reagan’s legacy is mixed in the U.S”

Bullshit. Few people out there don’t miss Reagan. The left may not want you to believe that, but it’s true. If we could reanimate Reagan’s corpse and run it for prez, it would win in a 49-1 state blowout.

5. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 12:14 am |

Awesome. Meanwhile, in Seattle:

6. joe
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 5:36 am |

I heard that the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and Syria were working on commissioning Obama statues just to beat the rush in 2013 when he leaves office.

7. Joe Band Member
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 6:41 am |

We need another Reagan, and I believe the closest we will get in this batch of GOP contenders is Ron Paul.

Posted November 22, 2011 at 8:32 am |

Sorry Joe, but if Ron Paul is the closest, we are in some serious shit—–which we are anyhow…..

9. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

Mumblix (5)
    Glad you brought that up.
    Here’s a repeat from my side trip to Seattle while visiting Missy this Summer:

10. Blue Max
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

Mumblix and Doug — seriously? Unbelievable! Who commissioned that? And when?

What’s next – Stalin and Mao?

11. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

^ Blue Max
    Explanations here and here.
    A local commie (who took this picture for me) said the community thinks of it as a bad joke. Evidently, it’s found with rude things hangin’ on it frequently. Said commie was surprised that I didn’t actually pee on it, so I explained that it was private property, and conservatives don’t do that. I told him it was for sale. He smiled.

12. Blue Max
    Posted November 23, 2011 at 2:30 am |

^DougM — Wow, what a curious story. Thanks for providing it. (Can’t wait to tease my conservative friends from liberal Seattle about their statue!)

BTW, I am enjoying jumping around that RoadsideAmerica.com site you linked to — great quirky stuff on it.

I learn more fascinating things on this site. . . .