city livin’

Melany Vorass is conscious about her diet. The Wallingford resident is so aware of what she eats, that it, more often than not, comes from her backyard, rather than the grocery store.

Rachel Belle talked to Vorass back in August about her “weed salads,” but now her family is turning to a fluffy-tailed critter to get their protein.

“I was very fearful at first,” Vorass says of her first squirrel meal. She thought it would be tough and gamey. Instead, “It’s tender, flavorful [...] a little bit like dark chicken, but more like rabbit meat, but with less fat content.”

She lures the grey squirrels into a trap using peanut butter and crackers, and they are finally caught in a battery operated trap designed to humanely trap and kill large rats…

1. Bruce
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 8:43 am |

Did she grow the peanut butter and bake the crackers herself?

Posted December 30, 2011 at 8:48 am |

She’s escalating evolving. Keep a close eye on your pets and small children.

3. Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:16 am |

They make a tasty gumbo.

4. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:26 am |

“You can live on it, but it taste like s***.” — Crocodile Dundee

5. SteveHGraham
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:27 am |

I’m all for it. Squirrels blow up electrical transformers and plant noxious things like live oak, gold coast jasmine, unwanted palms, and Florida holly. Death to them all, I say. If my relatives in Kentucky could see how trusting and stupid the squirrels are down here, they’d have a fit. Up there you have to wander around in the woods all day just to find one.

6. Ironic in Denver
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:40 am |

A Sunday drive with her would be slow getting anywhere. Think of all those quick roadside stops. (Channeling the Beverly Hillbillies here.)

PS: Squirrels are bushy tailed rats. She’s eating rat.

On the bright side, she’s preparing well for post-apocolyptic living. She’ll be eating and breeding while more civilized folk starve and die, not realizing the cornucopia of fine eating that’s scampering around in their back yards.

PSS: I would not want to be one of her goats. There is the admittedly unlikely chance that she might run out of squirrels.

7. Ironic in Denver
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:45 am |

Hmmm…. I want to know more about her rat trap. Can it be scaled up in size to fit a Democrat, a Community Organizer, or perhaps an OWSer?

If so, the big rat traps could be set up in public public parks.

Instead of peanut butter & crackers they could be baited with iPads.

8. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:46 am |

My Homestead mag had an article on squirrel and how to butcher it so it looks like chicken thighs to make it more appetizing to the eyes. It warns of worms though.

9. mojo
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:47 am |

“…Rat’s on!”

10. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 10:53 am |

I’m glad she eats the, in a humane way.

11. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 11:01 am |

…and all this time we’ve been throwing away the rats we’re catching in the hen house……

12. joe
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 11:19 am |

“more like rabbit meat, but with less fat content.”

I don’t know where she’s getting her rabbits but they’re notoriously lean.

So I consider this a bullshit story.

13. ZZMike
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 11:44 am |

“Vorass says her rat trap is an instant death, and is much more humane then other ways that people euthanize the common critters.”

Back in the Old Days (1700s or so), there was a special firearm used to dispatch squirrels for later consumption. Was called a squirrel gun.

Speaking of squirrels, which are part of the rodent family, which includes rats and chipmunks: The first version of “Alvin and the Chipmunks” was “Alvin and the WharfRats”. But they found out that name was already used by a grunge-metal-rock band.

Posted December 30, 2011 at 11:56 am |

On a good Sun. ride they could clean up the road kill.

Posted December 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm |

Ohhh man, squirrel season back on our Kaintuck farm was my all time favorite first day!! I would hit the woods just before daylight. I knew where the hickory, beech and walnut trees were. I used a .22 caliber Marlin lever action rifle w a 3X power telescope (…everybody else used shotguns loaded w 7 1/2 shot…)

The limit was 5 squirrels. Ours were red-colored Fox squirrels, large & tasty on account of diets of hickory nuts,etc! Three squirrels fried, made a meal for 5 at the table and filled us up!

Skinning a squirrel is an art. We boys and men all carried Buck pocket knives that we kept so sharp you could lick your arm and shave the hair off(…that was the test…) I would cut the squirrel hide(…fucking tough as a shoe…) just under the tail & about a quarter of the way down the back of the hind legs. Then grasp the squirrel by the hind legs, stand on the tail right at the cut and pull the squirrel straight up. This removed the entire squirrel hide & fur in one move! (…note: squirrel hair sticks to the skinned flesh like it was fucking superglued; water would not wash it off, so all tried to get a clean skinning to prevent having to pick the hairs off one by one…)

I shit you not, fried squirrel was my fucking favorite meal!!!!!! (…rabbit. I loved rabbit too, but you can starve to death on a diet of rabbit meat! And rabbit smells like holy shit when you skin them out! Hunted them w my beagle dog to make sure of a healthy rabbit. Rabbits carried a disease that would kill people who ate one infected…)

16. Posted December 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm |

Story update:

“Wallingford residents have been buzzing about an unusual protest occurring on Oak street today – no, this isn’t an OccupyWallStreet protest but rather one of an “animal” nature as residents are reporting a collection of upwards of a dozen grey squirrels picketing out in front of the Vorass household. Witnesses say that the squirrels are carrying wee picket signs that read:

” Just Say No To Peanut Butter and Crackers!”

” EAt MoRe Chiken”

Our reporter, Jillian Bleedingheart couldn’t get an interview with Mrs. Vorass as she was leery of crossing the picket line.”

17. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

ColJ (15)
    Heeeere ya go!

18. logdogsmith
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm |

She must have seen this:

19. Posted December 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm |

Does anybody have a good recipe for cat? I have a couple here who are starting to get on my nerves.

Posted December 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm |

Hog, just go to any Chinese restaurant. Cat and dog are likely mixed in to whatever the menu offers…….. If you find yourself on a trip to Chink Land—-you can select these critters for your menu order; just go to the glass cages an point! I am told that Corgi is the cheapest……………………

Posted December 30, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

First time at ate at a as you say chink land place — the meat had a shall I say different taste— asked the Mr. if he’d heard anything about missing cats and dogs lately– he didn’t appreciate it much— Col. you could reach out of our patio door and get yourself some grey and or red squirrel lunch any time you want— wouldn’t even have to shoot them– some turkeys and some deer to–

Posted December 30, 2011 at 7:13 pm |

I remember hunting this fall and having these noisy greys yelling at us and throwing pinecones. They had a disconcerting thump when they hit the ground– would have been painful on the noggin. I had one in the crosshairs of my .50 cal muzzleloader but didn’t want to waste the shot and scare every bull elk in a mile radius.

Beware the black squirrels! Some may remember this from 2008. They may have taken over by now.

23. Fat Baxter
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 10:46 pm |

That’s how the North Koreans started.

First, they had real food. When that disappeared, they went for small animals and whatever plants grew in the yard around the house. When that dried up, they started in on grass and tree bark….

Maybe they should also turn off the power grid in a show of solidarity.

24. forest hunter
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 11:36 pm |

Did she used to work for ACORN?

Clearly her ability to lure and trap squirrels may have overqualified her but then they’re not too picky either.