CALtGov. Gavin Protective of Cougars

birds of a feather?

OH? Not that kind?

The divide between those who live in rural areas and those from cities ruptured wide this past weekend across America in a debate over a provocative photo of California Fish and Game Commission President Dan Richards and a huge mountain lion he shot legally after an 8-hour hunt in Idaho.

Some comments on Facebook suggest that Richards should be the one hunted and shot [like you got the stones skillz...], that he should be jailed [for doing something completely legal?], that is unethical to shoot anything you do not eat [I was unable to find where he said he did/did not eat his kill], and hunting of any kind is barbaric [you're gonna survive the apocalypse well...].

And, from friends’ experience, I hear Big Kitteh is delicious. Just for knowing…

The photo first appeared in Western Outdoor News [here] as an innocuous sidebar to a column post by Paul Lebowitz, 2010 California Outdoor Writer of the Year. The Humane Society of the United States, an anti-hunting organization, then copied and circulated the photo around the country.

I thought they were all about the safety of the horses and saving the kittehs and puppies? I believe I will now tear in half their demand I pay a Dog Tax before I toss it in the trash.

Some think that mountain lions are a threatened or endangered species. They are neither. Wildlife biologists say that lions are healthy and abundant in much of California. Mountain lions are rather a specially protected species in California by a law created by a voter’s initiative, not by wildlife biologists.

A CA law created by playing on the ignorance of urbanites, the cuteness of kittens and Big Fat Lies™.

I can attest that as of last month our Lion is happy, healthy and too damned calm about humans. I encountered him as I went back up to the arena — an hour after 3 women and 4 horses spend about 4 hours noisily working in the arena — trotting up the hill like he was in his own territory. No, Sir. This here, with the cows and the horses and the dogs and the humans — THIS territory is MINE.

And here come the herds of ProgPrey:

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom joined a growing chorus of people urging the president of the California Fish and Game Commission to resign over a photograph showing him gleefully lifting the dead body of a mountain lion.

Gavin. Honey. You would show the same amount of “glee” after a success in one of your “dangerous hunts”: an 8-hour shopping trip at WilkesBashford.

Richards bagged his trophy in Idaho, where hunting mountain lion is legal, but Newsom pointed out that sport hunting of the big cats has been illegal in California since 1972…

“While not in California at the time, your actions call into question whether you can live up to the calling of your office,” Newsom wrote to Richards. “I do appreciate that you did nothing illegal in Idaho, but it is clear that your actions do not reflect the values of the people of California.”

Wondering…. Where does “reflect the ‘values’ of most of the urban idjits ignoratti mushbrains of CA” come in the job description of the president of the California Fish and Game Commission?

Newsom reminded Richards that he is required to not only comply with conservation laws, but also work in the best interests of the people and state wildlife.

“Your continued presence on the Commission is a distraction from those important issues,” Newsom continued. “As such, I am prevailing on your sense of civic service to respectfully request you resign, effective immediately, so we can move on to the pressing issues facing our great state.”

I dunno. Considering you didn’t resign after you treed and bagged your ‘best friend’s’ wife, I don’t think you’ve got a lot of room to throw stones.

…if any.

And maybe you can explain how hunting a kitteh out of state impacts the Ginormous Debt created by being beholden to the public unions has created for CA?

1. mojo
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 11:32 am |

“Dear Lt. Governor Newsome -
    Please go piss up a rope.”

2. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 11:41 am |

Offhand, I’d say that it’s “the values of the people of California” that need the criticizin’.

3. joe
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 11:55 am |

“respectfully request you resign, effective immediately, so we can move on to the pressing issues facing our great state.”

So this one freaking cougar keeps old Gavin from moving on? Sounds like his panties need untwisted or something.

4. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm |

Personally, I don’t hunt big cats. I like them as long as they don’t think that I look like lunch. (For that I’ve got something more potent than a .357 which I keep stuffed full of Silvertips.)

However:

a) I fully support the rights of people who do (legal) things that I don’t. It’s still a free country, in spite of the efforts of the left to the contrary.

b) One of the biggest reasons cougar attacks are way up all over the country is that well intentioned jackasses have limited abolished hunting them to the point that they have absolutely no fear of humans. They have come to think of humans as particularly slow, weak, stupid sheep. (Tasty too.) Based on this nonsense out of CA, I’d say the lions are right about that.

c) The CA’s fiscal train wreck affects the rest of the nation too. So even though I’m not (thank God!) a resident there, I’d surely like the politicians there to display a little of the “values” and “civil service” they are so concerned about in others.

PS: I have never been able to understand how anyone can claim to be the “friend” of someone and bag said friend’s partner. Much less appear in public after having done so.

5. PeggyU
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:07 pm |

I HOPE that cat was shot near my mom’s house. Those things creep me out! Where my mom lives, in Idaho, they can be something of a nuisance. In fact, she has a mountain lion skin on the wall of her den. It has impressive pointy teeth and claws! My youngest brother shot it because it was lurking around his cows.

On more than one occasion, from mom’s house, we have seen a mountain lion on a nearby hillside, stalking sheep. I lost a pet goat and a horse to mountain lions (both probably to the same cat).

Some cats have no problem with urban areas either. When our kids were very young and in public school, we received a notice that parents might want to transport their children by car, rather than letting them walk, because a cougar had been sighted in areas near the school. About that time, a goat was killed at a preschool in town, and dogs were reported missing.

I don’t get warm fuzzies about wildlife. I look at my cats and how ruthless they are with the mice they catch – and it is not hard to imagine that big cats behave just the same way.

6. RonF
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm |

I’m going to guess that another reason is that hunting deer is prohibited in areas such as Cook County, Ill., where Chicago and numerous suburbs are, on the sound and logical basis that it’s eeeeeeevil to kill Bambi. Which means that there’s a plentiful food supply in the area. What people who don’t know one end of a gun from another don’t understand is that something is going to kill those deer. Do you want it to be people who play by the rules and will leave your pets and children alone? Or not?

7. SteveHGraham
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm |

I can’t understand shooting a big hairy thing that probably tastes like a litterbox, but it’s not because I’m against hunting. I’m just against working hard to get bad food.

8. mojo
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm |

A skin hanging from a fence does tend to get the message across to the other kitties, though.

9. Ironic in Denver
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm |

RonF (6): excellent point. I hadn’t thought that far into it but you’ve got to be right. By the way, there’s people out near the front range here who think it’s a good idea to put out food for deer. I’m not going into the lack of genius in that, but what your point does lead me to think about is what else they are attracting with their deer food.

5 + 8 = sort of my thought too, Peggy. A hide on an outside wall, and, well, my other thought was a little tacky…. you know, that heads on fencepost thing just isn’t civilized but might make a point.

One of the problem with urban libs is that they want the entire world to be a well managed first grade playground. They don’t respond well to any indication that it’s not; whereas those of us who actually have to live in the real world have to deal with it.

10. Paul Moore
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

Cougars are back in Michigan , along with wolves. I have seen photos of a big cat sitting on a deck and watching children at play through the glass patio doors of a house in Kalkaska.
    There is a reason why predators were hunted in the past, and it wasn’t for sport.

Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm |

I helped kill a tiger in Vietnam, at night when it jumped one of the platoon Marines. A beautiful animal, but obviously either old or too infirm to get normal prey. Might as well have been Charlie as far as we were concerned (…I fucking hated patrols in the high forested mountains knowing tigers were about…)

Now as far as this puma. Legal and same rule applies. HOWEVER, genuine hunters of large animals who are pros, do not fucking pick up their lion like it was fucking “Tabby” and get their pitcher taken w a shit-eating grin. We might hold up the antlers of an elk, deer or moose, and be happy for the skill of meat harvesting. He acts like it was his first ever kill of a predator and it makes him look like a noob… I would be embarrassed unless I had claw and bite marks after killing that lion with my K-Bar.

As far as the Urban`s logic; Go fuck each other like I know you thoroughly relish, m-KAY!!!!!

12. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm |

Until they start eating aborted fetuses………..

Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm |

Paul I’m from Michigan watchutakinbout??? There’s no wolf or cougars in Michigan!!!

14. mojo
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm |

Col. J.: “Never get off the boat!”

Reminds me of an old shaggy dog story about “spotted snakes”…

15. snap-e-tom
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm |

That is one big kitty cat.

16. -John A
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm |

Off topic, but still California: I wonder what the reaction of shoppers at Gucci on Rodeo Drive would be if they realized that behind the tall fence at the end of the parking lot is a working oil well?

17. Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:00 am |

The old mountain men always said that Cougars were the best tasting meat found in the wilderness, even tastier than Bison.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:30 am |

Yeah, just read this morning that he said he had it for dinner. Chinks eat cats.

If I ever eat DayTu, my cat, I`ma gonna need a huuggee fucking bowl of gravy………

19. Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:17 am |

If I ever eat DayTu, my cat, I`ma gonna need a huuggee fucking bowl of gravy………

Colonel Jerry, SIR!: If you boil them for about, oh, 8 minutes or so, it gets most of the hair off them and reduces the need for gravy by about half.