Battle of Teh Sexes

Teh Noo Civility [TWDNMWYTIM]

First salvo:

[Lee Aronsohn, Two and a Half Men’s co-creator and executive producer:] “We are approaching peak vagina on television, the point of labia saturation,” … “Enough, ladies. I get it. You have periods.”

…later, he described his characters on Two and a Half Men as “damaged men.” … “What makes men damaged?” … “Sorry, it’s women. I never got my heart broken by a man.”

Return Fire:

[ Jen Kirkman, a comedian and writer for Chelsea Lately and NBC’s short-lived rom-com Perfect Couples:] “Ladies in Hollywood and ladies who watch TV! Come on and tell @bennyace your favorite period stories!

["Ladies" That word does not mean what you think it means.]

Aronsohn … tweeted, “Women, please look up ‘irony.’ ”

["Irony" That word does not mean what you think it means.]

For those who are influenced by such things [I've never seen/herd of most of these shows -- saw about ten minutes of 2.5 "men" once. grossed out.] — those young ‘uns who know no better, how could any one of them ever have a respectful relationship with anyone of the opposite gender?

Who does that benefit?

Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:02 am |

Try as one might, no one will ever convince me that *Today`s Television* is better than when it had only 3 channels, all of which shut down at midnight and displayed a side view of an Indian Chief accompanied by a steady tone—–until 0600 the next morning.

My decision in 1992 to remove television from my home(s) for all time has proven to be a boon to my quest for serenity.

2. BarryS
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:25 am |

So you resort to the intertubes and blogs written by like-minded and well meaning friends to keep that “I’ve had it and I’m not going to take it anymore” feeling percolating at just the right level…

Me too Col., me too.

3. PeggyU
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:28 am |

Is Mr. Aronsohn a liberal? I don’t think he would be able to get away with that comment, otherwise.

4. Binky Nabob
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:40 am |

I have found that Irony and Periods are not good traveling companions and, in fact, are dangerous when together. Also, I have not watched prime time networks since before Dallas started and have not felt the loss.
    Binky

5. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:48 am |

In my world, it’s generally not a “sexes” issue (or ethnicity, party, orientation, etc.) but a “jackasses” issue.
    I despise people as individuals.
    (What? Okay, yeah, that means I despise a group; but it’s a group called “people I despise” which doesn’t seem to have any common trait except jackassedness.)

On the other hand, yeah, “I never got my heart broken by a man.” You cold, cruel vixens!

On the other, other hand, I’ve never seen those shows, so don’t listen to me.

6. Jess
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:49 am |

There’s some brilliant point to be made about liberals and vaginas, but it escapes my limited reasoning power this morning.

Bleh.

Posted April 4, 2012 at 9:42 am |

I despise people as individuals. (DougM)

If that sentence refers to *asshole people*, I did not read it that way. I took it to be a stand alone statement. Edumacate my small khaki brane, dozo (slope headed,nonindividual Jap word, meaning “please”…)

8. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 9:43 am |

I’ve always liked vee jay jays. Just sayin’.

9. mojo
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 10:19 am |

“I have never been intentionally rude to a lady. I have, upon occasion, insulted a woman.”

Posted April 4, 2012 at 11:08 am |

Alan,

Would that include Helen Thomas?

11. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 11:21 am |

ColJ (7)
    I meant, “I despise people on an individual basis, rather than as a member of some arbitrary or artificial group.”

Posted April 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm |

Got it, but woulda never figgered it out w/o enrollin in yr stupid study class; tnx…

13. Ironic in Denver
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm |

Wouldn’t waste time watching any of that stuff.

However, as long as we’re on the subject of the battle of the sexes jackasses, there’s this:http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/yeas-and-nays/2012/04/speakeasy-wmata-debuts-anti-groping-campaign/445326?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Yet another reason to avoid public transit systems. Taking a look at the picture in the poster, what’s either of those guys supposed to do? There is no space.

PS: yes, ladies, I know there are some creeps out there who deliberately “rub against people” (ick!) — don’t know what to say about that, since publicly buffeting assholes is no longer socially acceptable.

14. SherryM
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm |

Colonel Jerry, I remember when there was just 3 channels And the National Anthem played right before concluding the day. The only bad part was when the POTUS was on the night of TV was shot.

15. mary
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm |

Claire, speaking of ladies, I miss Modess ads on the back of magazines. Still offended by the ads on TV now. Just shoot me now–I’m too old.

Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm |

Remember the massive monumental writers’ strike?

This cornucopia of entertainment is what we get.

As they got higher pay and all sorts of other bennies.

17. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted April 5, 2012 at 7:53 am |

#10 Col Jerry SIR! There are exceptions. Pelosi is another one.