ToDaZeD Odd Fodder

and odder

Tareq Salahi, a Virginia vintner [vines? in Virginia?!?] who achieved notoriety for crashing a White House party …spark[ing] concern about the Secret Service’s effectiveness… and later saw his wife run off with a guitarist for the rock band Journey…

… Salahi filled out and submitted a candidacy declaration Tuesday [to] run as a Republican for governor of Virginia… one day after another GOP candidate for governor, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, sued Salahi and his winery … claim[ing] they cheated customers who bought winery tours.

…Of the $36,723 the new Republican has given to state and federal candidates since 1998, more than four-fifths went to Democrats.

Not weird enuff? Ok.

Delta flight 3163 to Midway … touched down and the captain announced the plane would be briefly quarantined. [The] plane was surrounded by ambulances and fire vehicles… Men with surgical masks over their faces boarded the plane… resulting in the plane being kept on the tarmac at Midway Airport for three hours … [for fear of] monkeypox, a contagious disease that occurs mostly in western Africa

…[Lise Sievers, 50] had spent more than three months…in Uganda … trying to finalize the adoption of two special-needs children…

During a layover in Detroit, she had called her mother in La Porte, Ind., and mentioned one of the children she was trying to adopt had broken out in pustules — small, pimplelike sores — during her visit, and that the boy had to be taken to the hospital in Uganda. Sievers also mentioned to her mother that she had suffered an unrelated case of itchy bites which she believed had been inflicted by bedbugs.

While Sievers’ flight was en route to Midway, her mother confused Sievers’ bug bites and the boy’s pustules, and called her local hospital to ask what she should do to prepare to treat her daughter’s symptoms.

…Aboard the plane, health crews took pictures of her rash. Experts determined they were bug bites and let Sievers and her fellow passengers off the plane.

More?

The White House Correspondents Dinner [tonight:]

ABC Sofia Vergara; Jesse Tyler Ferguson; Julie Bowen and Eric Stonestreet of “Modern Family”; Christa Miller and Bill Lawrence of “Cougar Town”; “Hunger Games” actress Elizabeth Banks; actor Paul Rudd; New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie; Obama’s senior campaign adviser David Axelrod; National Security Adviser Tom Donilon; Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno.

AFP Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage of “Mythbusters”; writer Colm Toibin; DNC Executive Director Patrick Gaspard.

CBS “Homeland” star Claire Danes; “The Good Wife” actress Christine Baranski; Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan; Lt. Gen. George J. Flynn; Raymond Kelly, commissioner of the New York City Police Department; actor Daniel Dae Kim; Sen. Amy Klobuchar; American foreign policy adviser and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice; Capt.”Sully” Sullenberger III; Rep. Allen West; Rep. Tim Scott.

CNN’s Piers Morgan Actress Goldie Hawn…….

Fox News Kim Kardashian and her mother, Kris Jenner.
Fox’s Greta Van Susteren Actress Lindsay Lohan.

Huffington Post Actor Daniel Day-Lewis; actress Dakota Fanning; Anna Paquin; Stephen Moyer of “True Blood”; Darren Criss of “Glee”; Nasim Pedrad of “Saturday Night Live”; Attorney General Eric Holder; Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke; Sen. Rand Paul; White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer.

Newsweek/The Daily Beast Actress Reese Witherspoon; “The Help” star Viola Davis; J.R. Martinez of “Dancing With the Stars”; Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano; Gen. David Petraeus; Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand; Sen. Susan Collins; Rep. Steny Hoyer; Rep. Carolyn Maloney; Ambassador Melanne Verveer; Gov. Jerry Brown; Washington attorney Bob Barnett.

Thus we get our scorecard to the Who’s Who of …whatever this is.

1. Freddie Sykes
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 8:09 am |

Claire, there are a lot of mid-Atlantic wineries. My advice is to head for the California and Washington state aisles of the wine section.

Posted April 28, 2012 at 8:42 am |

As long as we are talking about *odder* places serving alcoholic beverages, I would remind all readers that my home state of Kentucky still has places where one can buy an elixer that is clear [...you can see clean through the Mason jar...] and dollar for dollar is unchallenged in its nickname of “Pop Skull”!

I Googled a satelitte pitcher of a place near the farm where I grew up and note there is still a fresh whiterock lane from the highway that circles around a house with a back porch and then back to the highway. As I recall, a coupla car horn beeps would bring a grandma like person to that back porch for service. That it is still there, informs me that the *Fee* to the *Dry* County Sheriff has dutifully been rendered all the decades since I left——————-

3. MCPO
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:37 am |

I drink local wines from southern PA and VA because they don’t use sulfides to artificially age them.

As for the correspondence’s dinner, Greg Guttfeld had the best line; “When a Republican is president, they make fun of the President. When a Democrat is President, they make fun of Republicans.”

Yup, that about sums it up to me.

4. snap-e-tom
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:47 am |

“Pop Skull” … Beautiful.

5. DougM (jackassophobe)
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm |

VA wines? Hellyeah!
    My old stompin’ grounds, Culpeper, is known for wine and legal moonshine.

6. Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm |

There was an article in one of my local (Ashburn, VA) newspapers about how one of our local vinyards recently beat out California wines across the board in some national wine contest, including data about how Virginia was now the second highest wine producing state in the nation (and growing). We also have our own “little silicone valley” which is the largest tech center on the east coast and is actually now more important to the telecom industry, at least, than California’s silicone valley, and a budding movie industry (though New York and South Carolina have us beat on the East Coast, and it isn’t anything like Hollywood). Virginia’s becoming the (largely Republican, but it’s technically a swing-state) more conservative East Coast version of California.

7. Merovign
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm |

The Mythbusters are French? Well, that explains an awful lot.

8. Ironic in Denver
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm |

Thus we get our scorecard to the Who’s Who of …whatever this is.

What we get is further proof that we have an administration that does not know the difference between running a government and holding a celebrity publicity event.

9. Posted April 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm |

Never mind who was at the goddamned dinner. Let’s talk about them pustules some more.

10. daisy
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 7:25 pm |

Psst, There are over 100 wineries ub in Virginia. We got grapes.

11. Freddie Sykes
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm |

Chacun ses goûts. The NC and VA wines do not do it for me. I find then to be poor values and uninteresting. I feel the same way about Bordeaux which makes me a philistine.

I like dry, fruity red blends with my favorites from Washington, followed by California, Côtes du Rhône and Costières de Nimes.

The good news is that we will not be driving up the price as long as we do not share the same tastes.

I do not think it is moonshine but they do sell 190 proof Ever Clear at the ABC store. It is a lot cheaper than wine but I will stick with my reds.

Posted April 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm |

I love my Virginia, and have friends who own small vineyards, but the Virginia wines I’ve had so far have been over acid and over priced. In time though, they’ll do well. Maybe. Thomas Jefferson for all his genius, could not make a go of producing his own wine.

13. Posted April 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm |

I love my Vagina too (when she’s behavin’).

That’s funny, we both have one with the same first name!

Mine really hates her nickname. How’s about yours?

Well, it’s been nice talkin’ to ya.

Oh wait… Virginia. Shoot.

Posted April 29, 2012 at 9:04 am |

Yeah, Hog. But mine’s bigger, prettier and has trees growing in it.
    ;>D

15. Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm |

There might be five people on that list that I would piss on if they were on fire, but not more. And I’m having second thoughts about them because they agreed to go.

Posted April 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm |

Michigan has great wines — so there. Heard The Donald just bought a winery. So that’s what all the rash stuff was about–we left for the woods— so just getting caught up on all the news. Think I’ll go back— to the wild life—