For Your Own Gooood

“Shut Up,” they explained.

“Our study revealed that the response of healthy skin cells to UV emitted from CFL bulbs is consistent with damage from ultraviolet radiation,” said Miriam Rafailovich, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and the lead scientist for the study.

“Skin cell damage was further enhanced when low dosages of TiO2 [titanium dioxide , the chemical commonly used in sunblock lotions to absorb UV ray] nanoparticles were introduced to the skin cells prior to exposure,” she said.

The researchers found that incandescent light of the same intensity had no effect on healthy skin cells, with or without the presence of TiO2

1. Posted July 23, 2012 at 11:16 am |

This is your brain on mercury.

Posted July 23, 2012 at 11:43 am |

But but they don’t cause global warming. There isn’t any global warming? Well than???????????

3. mojo
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm |

Slow, crappy and now damaging!

#WINNING!

4. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm |

Ok kids, here’s the deal:

I bought some CFL bulbs because they were on “sale” (highly subsidized by the local power company) and they were the worst damn things ever. I used one in the laundry room and I thought it was defective the first time I flicked the switch. It took five seconds to get bright enough to even know it was on! The light it threw off was stark and cold. Never again.

A few months later, I saw an LED bulb for sale at the Home Depot. I bought it out of curiosity. It lights up instantly, looks good and uses even less electricity than CFLs. They’re kinda expensive, but I think they’re worth it in the long run. When I have incandescent bulbs burn out, LEDs are going in. The CFLs are going in the trash, mercury or not.

5. Caged Insanity
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm |

Note specifically, in the full article, where they state that the apparent UV emission comes through small cracks in the phosphorous coating on the inside of the CFL tube.

This will not result in the enviro-nazis backing off on forcing these things down our throats, they will simply create and push through legislation which forces the light bulb manufacturers to comply with outlandish standards to produce light bulbs which do not have said cracks.
    The price on CFL’s will skyrocket along with everything else.

6. Lance
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm |

OMG! I love it! I live in a small city with hordes of rabid greenies,
    non-stop, blithering ecotards & smug, condescending enviroweenies!
    I will have sooo much fun freaking them out with ‘partial’ printouts
    of that article! They don’t need to see all the ‘technical’ info at the
    end of the article. The conundrum between the TiO2 in sunscreen
    & the increased effects of the UV light from the CFL will horrify them!

Posted July 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

Almost started a fire with one in the kitchen ceiling fixture. It’s a good thing we were home and in the kitchen.

8. Posted July 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm |

I called the Fire department when one of my CFL burned out, It smelled like an electrical fire and I couldn’t find the source. The Fire Dept. didn’t either; I had turned the light off when I left the bathroom (3 bulb fixture).

9. PeggyU
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm |

Mumblix – We just replaced our dining room bulbs with the LED ones. I love them! AND they work nicely with a dimmer switch as well.

10. Caged Insanity
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm |

LED lights have been that Fuchsia Pink Elephant-in-the-room in the whole light-bulb debate.

The liberals are too retarded to listen to the obvious, and do nothing but make up excuses.

My guess is if you were to follow money trails, you’d find CFL manufacturers putting large sums of money into enviro-nazi bank accounts.

11. Melissa In Texas
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm |

Seems to me that the greenies are gonna get us, hook, by crook or poison.
    YEESH!

12. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm |

That’s why my garage is full of good old fashioned light bulbs.

13. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm |

Peggy, that’s right! I had forgotten about the dimmable part. That was actually what got my attention in the first place.

Posted July 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm |

So I need to wear my UV protective sunglasses inside if I get some of these? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a light bulb?
    Or keep my eyes farther than 8 inches from the bulb.

Guess I’ll have to find some dark bulbs instead, and update my wardrobe to neutron resistant.

I do have a curly bulb in my range hood which stays on 24/7 . This may explain why bread almost never goes bad under it.

Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm |

I`ve been using CFL bubs for about 10 years now. I like them because they last for years, are cost effective and I don`t like a lit up house. I need kitchen light for cooking and desk light for reading and computing. Perhaps it was the way I grew up. Lanterns which were mobile for the outhouse, and windows all wide open for the air and a good cold bedroom, tucked under some homemade quilts, made upstairs at Grandma Hopkin`s house by the womenfolk.

Other than the hole in my left forehead (…see avatar…) from cutting out a melanoma, why hells bells, I am jist fine………….

Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm |

Erm, make that the right forehead; reckon I need a mirror other than my survival mirror for morse code……………

17. Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm |

..//-/—/-//..//…/.-/.–//.-//.–./..-/-../-../-.–//-/.-/-////

18. Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm |

Sorry, that might have been a bit unclear…

verbally:
    Di-dit, dah dah-dah-dah dah, di-dit, di-di-dit di-dah di-dah-dah, di-dah, di-dah-dah-dit di-di-dah dah-di-dit dah-di-dit dah-di-dah-dah, dah di-dah dah.

19. Lance
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm |

OMG! What HogW said!!

20. Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm |

.. – — – .. – .- .– .- .–. ..- -.. -.. -.– – .- -

Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:16 am |

… — …

22. mojo
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 11:13 am |

Save Our Shit?

23. Lance
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm |

Thanks for decoding that cryptic acronymical message mojo (22).
    The email of your comment seemed a little unusual at first glance!
    The only message code I have like Hog’s (18) dit-dit dah-dah-ing is:
    Diddly-doo-dah-dae! Enny youz guyz bemember the semaphore
    flag or hand code? Had to use it once in the Navy to get rescued
    out in Guantanamo Bay in a sailboat that broke it’s rudder!