ToDaZeD Golden Moments

daaa daaaa d’ da da da da …

In case ya missed it:

This is the moment U.S. Olympic wrestler Elena Pirozhkova picked up Michelle Obama

As to the ‘barmiest Opening Ceremony in Olympic history’…

Of all the things to laud in Britain’s long history, the director of the opening ceremonies for the London Olympics chose for his second act … universal health care.

Yes, that “NHS” spelled out by hospital beds [with lighted blankets!][and dancing "sick" children!!] … stands for Britain’s National Health Service…

“One of the reasons we put the NHS in the show is that everyone is aware of how important the NHS is to everybody in this country,” [director Danny Boyle ] said at a press conference earlier in the day. “One of the core values of our society is that it doesn’t matter who you are, you will get treated the same in terms of health care.”

…it is hard to escape at least some small sense of advocacy in Boyle’s second act, particularly after a cigar-chomping elite let loose the gluttony of unchecked industry on the idyllic English countryside in the first act. This was, it seemed, an opening ceremony for the 99 percent.

London’s Mayor Boris Johnson said it was ‘nonsense’ to call last night’s ceremonies as too left-wing.

British politician Aidan Burley [tweeted]

‘The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen – more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?’

1. Posted July 29, 2012 at 11:24 am |

I hope Elena didn’t hurt herself.

2. tctsunami
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm |

The brits really embarrassed themselves in front of the whole world. I thought to myself how low their self-esteem must be right now.

Then FLOTUS does this! I feel like a brit.
    And those teeth of hers, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoY_Fahp_Qc

3. Caged Insanity
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm |

I’ve been wondering if the whole NHS thing was more of a “it works!” promotion for Obamacare.

Posted July 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm |

Well now we know how stupid we Americans were to leave England and start our own country preferring capitalism to socialism. Now we have a chance to vote for Obama and have our own health care just like theirs.
    Yes you Ism my baby.

5. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm |

“She ain’t heavy, she’s mah sistaaah…..”

(*And* her hands are both visibly in appropriate places, so what’s not to like? Isn’t it a great tradition for U.S. First Ladies to be bounced in public?

I’m assuming there was a little staging that preceded it – despite the after hours past times of some Secret Service agents, I assume they were hanging around there somewhere, and nobody gets to get hold of a First Lady without prior screening and arrangements…. right?)

Posted July 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm |

Don’t touch the Queen!!! She’s not the Queen— whodatho’t???– well than carry on. If you can–’cause she’s just like we middle class (less) people who love to have fah-un–

7. Posted July 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm |

No body slam…. Oh my bad, Watcher did that. “Keep Calm and Eat Cookies.”

8. Leonard Jones
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm |

She lifted the lady with the yard-wide ass without benefit of a
    crane? The force is strong with this one, she should no trouble
    winning the gold!

9. Posted July 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm |

By the bye….. Women’s Wrestling? Nope.

10. Merovign
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

How many oldsters do they euthanize every year in England? Not counting those who just die because they had to wait months for care or the care is inadequate, just the ones they actually kill?

130,000 you say?

Yeah, “death panels,” ha ha.

11. Mumblix Grumph
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm |

Aw c’mon…old people aren’t cute, they’re like, all old and stuff…ICK!

12. Hope Rogers
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 6:02 pm |

Whassa mattah Wollf? Needs creamed corn? JELL-O, maybe?

13. DougM (November is coming)
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 6:11 pm |

merovign (10) & mumblix (11) beat me to the observation that babies are cuter than old people. Besides, they couldn’t find any old people in the NHS.

The British NHS is the “Logan’s Run” of health-care systems.

Re: the pic
    • No tongues
    • Well, you tell ‘er “no.”
    (What? Well, either one, actually.)

Re: the opening ceremonies
    They needed a better slogan. Lessee … howzabout:
    UK is best UK !
    (What? Yeah, you’re right. Too NorKie.)

14. Posted July 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm |

Nah, Hope, probably a touch of misogyny on my part. Was a State and City champ in high school, was offered a scholarship to Iowa…. Girl are for cuddling, not for “Rasslin”….

*runs and hides*

15. Posted July 29, 2012 at 6:57 pm |

I had me this girlfren once and her dad was a pro rassler (ret.) and she was quite the rassler herself (she later took 2nd at the Pomona World Wrist Wrestling championships in the lightweight class).

Boy, was she fun!

16. JoeBandMember®
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm |

Barf.

That is all.

November will Roar.

17. LLoyd
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm |

And therer you have it folks. One World Government on display which shows how all dictatorships have started with, the health care. That was the most absurd of absurdities I have seen in all my born, USA, ass kickin, never gonna take my Liberty or Freedom from me days. Gad!

There is was in all its demonic grandeur! I’m am out of my freeking patience zone. The nurses, beds, hospital, people, some kid jumping on one. GAd!

Posted July 29, 2012 at 8:27 pm |

Great demonstration of “Clean and Jerk”.

19. ZZMike
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm |

They’ll flog the notorious NHS, but refuse to have a moment of silence for the Israeli athletes murdered at the Munich Olympics.

20. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

How charming. And regal.

And cool.

There’s no way in hell that happened without prior permission or allowance…or set up.

Can’t wait to hear the wrasslin’ gal’s life story…………..bet she fits a profile.

21. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 6:18 am |

Sondra: ^ Well, some gay blogs are a-flutter; but half of it is grumbling about there not being enough “out” female athletes, and there’s nothing in the readily available bios to suggest that she is.

I already weighed in (ironically) on part of what I though of this -> not especially positive.

However:

a) Maybe we should cut the wrestler a break – she’s only 20-something, and to have her success she’d have to have lived in a bit of an over-focused bubble. (I have less sympathy for FLOTUS.)

b) I think an important story here is how much younger, less politically aligned (yet) people (and potential voters) long for a sense of connection to the political process, and how much they are prepared to be taken in to have it. This is part of how Carter, Clinton, and Obama got themselves elected, and it’s one of the ways Dems get and keep power.

I’m not sure how to go about it, but it’s the thing that conservative politicians fail at more than almost anything else.

(And no, I’m not suggesting that Mitt go and find himself an Olympic weight lifter to pick him up and toss him a little. *snark*)

22. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 6:22 am |

^ Mitt should get out there and wrassle one of his own!

23. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 6:27 am |

^ Why I do believe you’re right. But wait… that’s sorta what 2012 is about, right? Wrestling history’s gutsiest president?

Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:16 am |

I n Denver#23—- and Romney is the wimp? When did Valery get elected President/CnC? Curiouser and Curiouser—

25. mojo
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:25 am |

Just wait till ya see the encomium to British Dentistry…

26. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 8:47 am |

geezerette (24): I’ve been saying for a while that BHO is a deeply empty person, incapable of taking responsibility for himself or his decisions (“I vote present!”), and that Valery & Michelle were the powers / puppet mistresses behind the throne.

As a matter of fact, that was the real point behind Hillary’s 3am phone call campaign ads in 2008.

(not that we would have liked her any better)

27. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:07 am |

Caption: “And I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I will always love Y-O-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U!”

Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:36 am |

I N D #26 thanks that’s what I was getting at. You said it better. I’d like to know her history and how she got to be his puppet master.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |

Sum smart blogger said this morning that, “OBoBo`s presidency will be over about the time the Olympics is over. August?????????

{….I have a distant recollection of what “hope” is, —– }

30. Ironic in Denver
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:02 am |

Jarrett – here’s a couple of tidbits from Wikipedia:

Jarrett is one of President Obama’s longest serving advisors and confidantes…

…Jarrett got her start in Chicago politics in 1987 working for Mayor Harold Washington as Deputy Corporation Counsel for Finance and Development….

…Jarrett continued to work in the mayor’s office in the 1990s…

…In 1991, as Deputy Chief of Staff to Mayor Richard Daley, she interviewed Michelle Robinson for an opening in the mayor’s office, and offered her the job immediately. Michelle Robinson asked for time to think and also asked Jarrett to meet her fiancé, Barack Obama.

The three ended up meeting for dinner. After the dinner, Michelle took the job with the mayor’s office, and Valerie Jarrett reportedly took the couple under her wing and “introduced them to a wealthier and better-connected Chicago than their own,” and taking Michelle with her when she left the mayor’s office to head Chicago’s Department of Planning and Development.

In other words, Jarfrett, along with Ayers, and a few others, has been a mentor from the first.

I suppose that many great and famous people have mentors, but I really wonder about the influence of this one. There are a number of rumors. I just think of her as BHO’s Rasputin, which may not be entirely fair to Rasputin, although I’m sure that she is more couth than he was.

The interesting thing is that someone who’s primary creds are in local Chicago politics, finance and law has wound to as perhaps the most significant foreign policy influence (as well as in other areas) for a weak president who has no creds of his own.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:19 am |

Fishier and fishier!! Kinda stinks of fish. Time to start digging deeper into V.J. — wonder why no one has? I know why “they” haven’t but what about honest people? Are there any???

32. Jess
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:52 am |

Sunny beaches. I bet that wrestler had to change her drawers after staring at that maw with all those teeth.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

Mrs. Romney rides horses.

34. TheOldMan
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm |

While it is true that everyone is treated the same in the NHS system, it is also true that the majority of British people earning >97000 purchase private helath insurance. This gets them better care faster.