a funny thing happened on our way back to the Asylum from a walk on the beach where a sea otter ran right past us into the surf

In this day and age…when two people who own 3 cameras and 2 cell phones with cameras built in and one of them even owns a handy pocket video camera and they’re literally thisclose to a Barred Owl in broad daylight for about 5 minutes and neither of you have ANY of these madgyckyial picher thingys with you well, that’s just sad.

Even if we DID have these things amongst us when it happened there’s probably no way we would have captured the hawk swooping on it and it’s head spinning completely around to look at us with bugging out eyes that said OHMYGODDIDYOUJUSTSEETHAT!!!!?????

However we did manage to get this…

Posted October 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm |

Cool.

But did he get the sea otter?

2. Thomas M.
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm |

Shame, Shame, Shame!

3. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm |

^ I KNOW. I’m deeply ashamed…

But the look on the owl’s face…STG…it’ll pop into my head 20 years from now and I’ll still howl…….

Yannow what’s not as hysterical but is pathetic nonetheless? JR DID GET about 30 shots of dead stuff on the beach from last week’s storm. In super high def. Like enough for a coffee table book…..

4. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm |

Nature can be magnificent some times.

Two weekends ago, I was out deer hunting (unsuccessfully, as usual, thank you) when I thought I detected a motion from this tree stump. Light was at the wrong angle, but I was still able to make it out – Holy Shit! a huge Grey Owl sitting there surveying things. Then it launched off and flew up to a branch on a nearby tree, sat for a couple of minutes, swooped to another tree, and then disappeared.

And through it all, I heard absolutely NOTHING. I’d always heard that owls are the most silent of birds, and “it’s twue!” Amazing that such a big bird can be so absolutely quiet.

No camera, of course – archery gear is enough to handle …..

5. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 8:54 pm |

I now have a boyfriend deer that follows me around with hearts floating above his face :)

His antlers are broken just like my wall hanging doe head…
    He has a thin gash across his neck. It must’ve been a good fight.
    Poor guy :(

6. SherryM
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 3:49 am |

One time about 8 years ago I herd a noise out in the back yard at around 10-11 PM and I went out with a flashlight to see what it was, looking up in a tree I saw a huge owl, and when I shine the light on him he gave me the dirtyist look I ever saw come from a animal. If looks could kill.

7. Steve Skubinna
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 6:34 am |

Back during the major combat phase of OIF I was aboard an ammo ship in the Gulf. I’d heard we had an owl aboard but hadn’t seen it. One night while making rounds through the clearway (a covered deck where ammo is staged coming up from the holds and prepped for delivery) it dropped out of the overhead an arm’s length in front of me, spread its wings and flew off. “Whooomp!” right in my face.

I had heard of people so startled or frightened that they pooped themselves but I’ve never done it myself. That night was the nearest I have ever come to it. Almost needed a skivvy change.

8. Claire: pink pig with car keys living in an alternate universe
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 6:51 am |

Doin’ muddy otter!

“a boyfriend deer” Alfalfa deliveries in 3… 2…

Only Thomas M. could say with that — considering the beautiful shots he takes….

JR DID GET about 30 shots of dead stuff

Awwwwwww….

Posted October 29, 2012 at 6:57 am |

If you could see the owl hanging around our camp in the woods it would out big owl all of yours— :) ______(O^O)______flying in front of our car going down the camp road and it’s wing span was wider than the car——the camera was in the trunk. We didn’t stop to take it out and a while down the road he flew out of the woods again. I missed two good chances to get a picture– now that I know enough to keep it in the car with me ????? His whoots are heard but he’s not seen. We didn’t hear him when he flew over us in the camp yard we saw a shadow go over looked up and he was back in the woods.

10. DougM (November is coming)
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 7:22 am |

I see from the tracks that the beach nuns are back.
    (What? Oh. Well, my tracking skill aren’t all they could be. I’m not all that familiar with Catholic footwear.)

11. mojo
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 8:07 am |

Not in a big hurry, just kinda loping along, judging by the tracks.

12. Steve Skubinna
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm |

Another owl story: a woman living on the ridge where my house is (actually maybe an hour north of Olympia) had cats which she let roam about, as thoughtless people with cats are wont to do. One day she stepped out onto the deck as a big owl was about to snatch one of the cats and it veered off. The cat was huddled in the corner awaiting the end when the fortuitous intervention occurred.

Anyway she stopped letting her cats out unsupervised after that.