merry icktory

The electorate has spoken. Mr. Obama has been re-elected, but in winning his campaign has set back any hope of civility ever returning to Presidential politics. No matter one’s political views, no one can deny that Mr. Romney is a thoroughly decent man, as could be seen in the graciousness of his concession speech. In his campaign, he persistently attacked the policies of the President, but never the man. He lost. Mr. Obama constantly attacked the character of Mr. Romney, but never his record. He won. It was a victory for Chicago-style politics, in particular for David Axelrod’s campaign ruthlessness. The persistent blaming of George Bush for today’s economic woes worked in that exit surveys showed 53% of the public blamed Mr. Bush for today’s economy, while 38% blamed Mr. Obama. Mr. Axelrod’s strategy was a reaffirmation of Joseph Goebels’ dictum: if you repeat a lie often enough, people will come to believe it as truth.

It could be that Mr. Obama will learn humility from his victory. He was, I believe, the first President re-elected with fewer Electoral College votes (303) [Florida is still undecided] than he received when elected for his first term (365.) The nation remains divided. In losing, Mr. Romney garnered 48% of the popular vote to Mr. Obama’s 50%. It is possible that now Mr. Obama may move toward the center and actually work toward a “Grand Bargain” with John Boehner, who continues as Speaker of the House. Perhaps the President will actually heed his deficit reduction commission and attempt to put our finances in order. Mr. Obama was inclusive in his acceptance speech, but so had he been four years ago.

But I wouldn’t hold my breath. These eras of good feelings never last long; Mr. Obama is a Left-wing ideologue. In 2009, shortly after being sworn in, Mr. Obama made his position clear when he told Congressman Eric Cantor of Virginia. “I won. You lost.” Sixty percent of Americans believe that we are headed in the wrong direction. Forty-three million are on food stamps. Poverty has risen during the past four years, and median income for middle income Americans is lower than it was four years ago, and the number of people working is less than it was four years ago. Above all else, Mr. Obama sees himself as the inheritor to Presidents like Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson who greatly expanded the entitlement state.

It was not Mr. Obama’s success on the economy that won him re-election, the unpopularity of Obamacare, nor his bungling of the events, and their aftermath, in Benghazi. Mr. Obama is seen as an historic figure, and people didn’t want to let go of it…

R.T.W.T.

1. Joebandmember®
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 6:23 am |

It hurts like a knife in the gut to see the way this nation has voted. I think it’s gonna hurt for the whole four years.

How any thinking person could vote for the failed policies of the left is beyond me. They had to have been brainwashed by the minions of the media, the minions of Hollywood, the minions of the party of evil.

We must become even more involved in the process of government; local, state, and national, if we are to survive. We must live honorably in a world that operates on dishonor and lies, and has the stench of Satan.

I pray to God that we will.

It is the only way out of this mess.

2. Joebandmember®
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 6:36 am |

I posted the following on my Facebook page. Since I don’t use my real name here, I wanted to put this up here for my dear friends on “the porch®”.

“Regardless of elections, or man’s foolish laws and schemes, Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. He is the way, the truth, and the life, just like He said.
    Let us be thankful that He is who He says He is.”

Have as good of a day as possible, my friends…

3. Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:34 am |

I just celebrated the worst 4 years of my fairly long life…4 years under the thumb of a tyrannical leader who wears Mom jeans and whose split lip playing basketball was his closest brush with a purple heart.

How can I possibly put my family and friends and colleagues through 4 more years of this mood of mine?

Don’t look for a joke or punchline here, I’m serious. I can’t get my head screwed on straight since Tuesday.

4. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:27 am |

^ I find walking around shaking it doesn’t help either.

5. rickn8or
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:43 am |

It could be that Mr. Obama will learn humility from his victory… It is possible that now Mr. Obama may move toward the center and actually work toward a “Grand Bargain” with John Boehner, who continues as Speaker of the House. Perhaps the President will actually heed his deficit reduction commission and attempt to put our finances in order.”

And monkeys might fly out of my ass too.

And Joe, that’s pretty poor comfort to those of us who have worked and played by the rules all our lives, only to see our country and our way of life destroyed for ourselves and our grandchildren.

6. Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:37 am |

Obama is a historic figure? You mean, like Caligula? The Medici? Pol Pot? Idi Amin? Stalin? Hitler? Vlad the Impaler? Marshall Tito?

Oh, this is fun.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 2:25 pm |

walt (6) – You mean, like Caligula? The Medici?…
    I was thinking Nero; he played the harp while Rome burned, Uhbama sleeps and plays golf while good men and our economy die, but the comparison doesn’t quite work.
    Nero had the courage to kill himself.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm |

Sondra, I like the new avatar.

It’s the eyes.

I had my first opportunity to tell an admitted bh0 voter that she owns it.