in (un)occupied America

I thought about taking my flags down, too; but I won’t lower Old Glory for any enemy.
America isn’t defeated; some of her is merely … occupied.
American territory has been occupied before, but that didn’t last.

I do like the flag-protest idea, though.
Therefore, mine are now displayed furled; but they will be free to fly proudly during holidays.
The rest of the year … they will still be there, furled in mute witness to our current occupation.
Furled, not forgotten, awaiting The Restoration™ of a constitutional republic.

Oh, say can you see … that our flag is still there.
No, I won’t feel offended if you steal this idea.

1. Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:50 am |

Lost my last flag to a storm. Time to replace it, and I think your idea is great! Also, as a form of my own personal protest, whenever I use one of those “forever” Flag stamps, I will apply it upside-down, as I did when Carter and Clinton were “occupiers” of the White House.

Never give in! Never give up!

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 11:49 am |

Wow, Doug. Yes. That is much better.

Taking it down was very VERY painful for me.

This is perfect.

Thank you. Again.

3. apotheosis
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm |

I need to buy another flag. The one I currently fly is my Grandfather’s coffin flag, which he expressly requested NOT be stuck in a box and put on a display shelf, but flown.

I can’t fly that rolled up. Or upside down. But I will get a flag for the purpose and borrow your idea, if you don’t mind.

4. DougM (November is heeeeeere!)
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm |

Another idea:
    Years ago, I made a flag scabbard for the 3×5 flag I mount on my Harley for Patriot Guard missions. It’s made from the field (the stars-on-blue part) of an old 5×7 flag that was to be retired. I sewed it up into a sleeve which slips over a furled flag on it’s staff. Held up pretty well, actually, and it looks really sharp, but it doesn’t show up as well as the red & white stripes do when furled and held with cable ties. Flag etiquette doesn’t specify which is more appropriate. I’m open to some sage advice, here.

5. SteveHGraham
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm |

I have to disagree. I think we’re finished.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm |

I tho’t of it but I can’t– I think this is the time for everyone to fly their flags. We have to show our pride in our country. If we give up there won’t be anything left. I have a feeling when all is said and done in the next four years those who cared more about who they married and what they smoke and how many children they have or don’t want to have and what the gov. can or will do for them will realize what they’ve done to this country. They’ve bitten the hand that feeds them and they’ve shat where they live.

7. Caged Insanity
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm |

I wish Obama would change the flag to whatever lame-ass concept his loser friends would come up with.

So we can start burning them.

The true American flag can then be flown by those of us who know what freedom and responsibility are and what they entail.

8. mojo
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 1:49 pm |

Suggested reading while waiting for the “boom”

9. mojo
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm |

Long-term storage is looking expensive.

Over $100.00 a gallon? Sheesh!

10. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm |

If I fly it right now I am lying.

I am so torn and sad.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 3:14 pm |

A quote from a 20 something very educated successful “girl”. One of many who love Obama: Two favorite non presidential items– Crazy Troy (MI) T party mayor gets recalled and Maryland and Maine approve of same sex marriage. We’re coming along!! That is what’s happened to this county.

12. Posted November 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm |

“I have to disagree. I think we’re finished.

Comment by SteveHGraham”

Steve, you may be right, this time, but I hope you’re not. I seem to remember that you also predicted a John Kerry win in 2004, and that that would be the end of that.

Far be it from me to get-all-up in your religious ass, and stuff, but I think some praying might be in order. I do. I pray, and I’m happy to admit it. I do it almost constantly these days.

And you know what the best thing about praying is? [while re-loading] It don’t cost you a nickel… unlike the fucking goddamned price of gasoline, and allah that other phucking stuff!

13. Merovign
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm |

I’m enjoying that the same people who spent my entire life on spittle-flecked rants, insults, condescending sneers, conspiracy theories and death threats against the right are now offended because they feel they was someone places a flag is an insult to them.

14. DougM (November is heeeeeere!)
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm |

Hog (12)
    One might say, “Any deity who’d permit this travesty isn’t worth praying to;”
    but it’s a trite old argument* without rhetorical or logical merit, so let me try this:
    “Re-readin’ the Book of Job, here, boss.”

* I put it in the same category as saying in 1944,
    “I’ll worship the guy who kills Hitler.”

15. Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm |

DougM (14)

Am currently turning the Pages to the book of Job…

Lessee… there’s Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, Ruth. Oh shit, I forgot Deuteronomy! I almost always forget Deuteronomy, again! I like to think that that’s forgivable because nothing rhymes with Deuteronomy, but maybe that’s just me. [okay, "Colonectomy" kinda comes close, but don't tell Anybody I said that, mmmkay?]

Uhm, where were we? Oh yeah, Job. I’ll get there… just have some patience, fer chrissakes. I’m even beginning to think that there’s a reason why they call it a “Job”. Have you ever thought about that? It wouldn’t surprise me. I have.

Yea! I just found it! It’s on page 411 [prophetic?], right before Psalms. I like Psalms. Maybe I’ll read them too, while I’m at it. Proverbs are also good, but they can wait ’till things get settled-down around here.

Meanwhile, I need to keep watching the 1956 Cecil B. DeMille classic, The Ten Commandments on my ROKU, because it’s only a 48hr. rental, I think.

{screeeeech!} [cough] “Welcome to Wal-Mart! And don’t forget that today we have handbaskets on sale on aisle #13! Thank you, and thank you for shopping Wal-Mart!”

16. SteveHGraham
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm |

First surprise of the week: seeing the election result. Second surprise of the week: seeing “Hog Whitman” under that comment.

17. LLoyd
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm |

.Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You’ve come to fight as free (Americans… and free (Americans) you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight? It’s all for nothing if you don’t have freedom.”
    Are you ready for a war?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm |

Mike(AZ), This one?

Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm |

Doug, I was thinking of some variation on a black ribbon. . .

Thoughts?

20. whitestone
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm |

I’m just keeping mine at half staff for a while.

21. Fat Baxter
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm |

I propose a new flag: same old red & white stripes with the blue field. But in that field, the number of white stars equals only the number of states that went for Romney; for the states that went for Obama, little red hammer-and-sickles, for fifty total symbols.

22. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm |

mech (19)
    Nah, a black ribbon means death and mourning.

Maybe, oh, I dunno … maybe a … a yellow ribbon, symbolic of waiting courageously for the return of a loved one.

Yeah, a furled flag tied up with a yellow ribbon.

23. Buzz
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm |

Bax, I thinking something “special” for the additional states that get the total to 57.
    Toilet seats, crap piles, etc.

24. Spin
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 3:00 am |

We may be looking at a 51 or is it 58 star flag soon. In case you missed it Puerto Rico has voted to apply for statehood.

Yeah a whole island of welfare recipients.
    And being a “Jet” ain’t gonna help us against these “Sharks”

25. apotheosis
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:26 am |

> In case you missed it Puerto Rico has voted to apply for statehood.

Good. They can join right about the time Texas secedes, and none of the Chinese factories making American flags will have to re-tool their screen printers to juggle 51 stars.

26. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:29 am |

C’mon, Texas! Do it for China!

27. TomR, armed in Texas
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:52 am |

Gov. Rick Perry has already said that magic word, “secede”. Lots and lots and lots of reaction from around the country. Most of it favorable, about 70%. If we did secede I would hope other states would follow(come on Oklahoma). Esp. all the red ones. We could flourish. The blue states would be in a world of shit.

I think I will fly the Gasden flag unfurled beside the furled “Old Glory”. The message should be clear.

28. Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm |

Did you ever hear about the guy who had a map of Canada tattooed on his ass?

Every time he sat down, Quebec separated.

I’ll be here all week…