notes to America

More (check back, as I may add more) BTF: »

1. RonF
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm |

There’s another quote from Benjamin Franklin that perhaps might be more apt:

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Then there’s:

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.”

2. Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm |

A wet bird never flies at night.

Whut? You mean they do fly at night?

Well that really screws that one up.*

*[I'm thinking Red Skelton over here, but who knows?]

3. mojo
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm |

And now, a bit of Aussie fluff:

Woof

4. Buzz
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm |

“Fart proudly”
    No proof Ben ever said that, but enough for me to pick up and buy the book.

One of Ben’s letters of advice to choose an older woman, I took to heart….

5. Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm |

Buzz: If that was really from Ben Franklin (tho it sounds more like Ben Franklin doing his impression of Mark Twain… and yes, I’ve thot about that one too), then I thank you for that. I might even have to steal it! And I don’t care if it makes the author(s) spin in their graves [if they were still alive to do so].

Why couldn’t I have received such good counsel when I was younger?*

*(or older… for that fucking matter…)

6. Buzz
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm |

Hog, it was great advice as a youngster, when “older” meant women in their late twenties to forties. Moreso for maturity and class than Ben’s given reasons, but I have always strongly disagreed with the false concept that women lose their beauty as they age.

Now in my mid-forties and happily married for nearly 15 years to an older woman, I’m pretty sure menopause has kicked a dent in the potential quarry.
    (Although I knew a woman a few years back that hit menopause and bragged about her husband “unable to keep up” with her newly developed “appetite.”)

Old Ben was a genius, for whom this once great country owes far more gratitude and respect than he is given.

7. LLoyd
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm |

10+++++ on the poster creativity Doug. Really like them and it is something a lot of us serious patriots need to revisit, remember and REVIVE this nation on what made us what we “were”.

I was thinking that the should of this nation began to loose itself right after the late 60′s, Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, and the “Let the Sunshine “kultcha’ take over all inside the the brainwashing vehicle of the NEA and the loosing of the liberals.

Only a matter of time and what I see today IS 3 generations of all that sewer bee ess.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm |

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

–Sarah Connor

Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:09 am |

In my humble opinion, America has reached a point of “Too much success”. The generations that followed us reflect that. When the homeless, unemployed and youth ALL need to be on *weight control* , have wide screen TVs and drive cars—-it means they have NO idea of what real poverty is like in the rest of the world!

Electing OBoBo for a 2nd term means they are gonna find out, as will we who have worked hard our entire lives.

How WE deal with that, may in fact, bring reality back to America! I have faith in US that we will do it!!!!! AND not by no nother Revolution neither. WE are smarter than that………….