tread upon

I took my American flag down yesterday………..

…I want to say that I have met Romney. Folks, I know a lot of you have been convinced out there that this guy is the problem with America. He’s not. He’s a very good man, he cares greatly about this country. … He’s a great patriot. I know that that side is going to paint him as the trouble with America. If he’s the trouble with America. If he’s the trouble with America, folks, this country does have a lot, a lot of problems

The Obama campaign put their full weight into making Mitt Romney into somebody we all need to be scared of, instead of what he actually is: A pretty admirable representative of the possibilities of the American dream. Sure, he started out with a good leg up (what parent doesn’t aspire to provide a better life for their children?), but he was hugely successful on his own merits; spent his life highly focused on family, religion, and community; and was a bigtime go-getter who personally created jobs and economic growth. The personal and class-warfare-oriented attacks all seemed to imply that Mitt Romney is what’s wrong with America, but if we can’t recognize that he personally is at least one type (and there are many types) of exactly what’s right with America, then this is even more serious than we thought.

1. RonF
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:30 am |

The left’s focus on religion is that it is outmoded superstition and a threat to the new society they wish to create. They don’t see devotion to religion as a feature – they see it as a bug.

And the kind of family that he has – to one woman for his entire life that he has had children with, that he’s devoted his life and constant personal hard work to supporting on his own without the need of government handouts – is also a threat to society. They want to define “family” as any kind of group of people that decide to call themselves such, and examples of the kind that millenia of history have shown to be stable and productive show them up for the charlatans they are and must therefore be discredited.

2. RonF
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:32 am |

In short, the left sees a life devoted to hard work and personal responsibility, based in tradition and independent of government control as what’s WRONG with American, not what’s right with it.

3. kinlaw
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:39 am |

Yup, we’ve got problems.

@1

And yet Ron, they run as religious people; Biden makes a big deal out of being catholic.

4. Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:24 am |

It’s about hand. The issue is, are you willing to dump devotion, reverence, reliability, and competence in order to get the upper hand?

You know the answer. The entire steady march of 19th century Marxism through the 20th century is all the proof you need.

5. Freddie Sykes
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:55 am |

The problem was that people did not vote.

2004 Popular vote Bush62,040,610 59,028,444
    2008 Popular vote 69,456,897 59,934,814
    2012 Popular vote 60,770,984 57,876,211

Romney got less votes than McCain. If he had gotten the same number of votes Bush did in 2004, Romney would be president.

The Anybody But Obama people did not show up. The Broken Glass Republicans were a myth.

6. Posted November 8, 2012 at 11:12 am |

I have this overwhelming need to ask the tens of thousands of so-called Republicans who voted for that looser McCain in ’08 but couldn’t be bothered to vote for anyone in this year’s election: what were you doing that was ever-so-much more important than rescuing OUR nation from the (I will refrain from expletives here) Democrats who seem so hell-bent on destroying America? Are you that important, that involved, that you couldn’t possibly spare the time to vote?

I’d really like to know.

7. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 11:51 am |

^ yea, huh?

And McCain, for all his warts, was another good man.

8. DougM (November is heeeeeere!)
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm |

Romney was never even close to what is wrong with America.
    Obama isn’t, either. Not on his own.
    Half of America is what’s wrong with America.

9. Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm |

Never mind Barack Hussein Obama. If Joe Biden is what came in Second, then we are totally fucked.

10. Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm |

^ Which doesn’t mean that I’m not locking and loading, and stuff. I will protect my Man-Cave™, and the caves of other deserving individuals ’till the day comes when I can no-longer reach for my remote.

And if you think I’m joking, just try me.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm |

*slides remote to the other end of the table and runz*

Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm |

Coming conversations:

“Did you vote?”

“No”

“This is yours to own.”
    (sounds better than ‘your fault’) and more precise.

Same response if they admit to viting for bH0.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm |

viting=voting

14. Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm |

damn! I just took a ‘head count’ and discovered that I have ten (10) active remotes! That doesn’t even count the old/unused/deactivated ones sitting around in some drawer somewhere. I never throw them away. I intend to [someday] turn them all into some kind of lethal drone that will sniff-out, and then seek and destroy hidden Lib/Progs and their evil spawn.

I can still remember the ‘good ole days’ when the most any guy could have was just ONE (1) remote, like the Good Lord intended.