I don’t know what to do.

Tomorrow is Veterans Day.

Normally I’d remember it by flying the flag, visiting the local memorial with the youngest and reminding him what it means.

Now, I just don’t know what I should do. Frankly, I’m too ashamed. Those men and women fought to give us an America worth having; and we collectively took their ultimate sacrifice, put on a plastic smile and said “thanks, really, I totally needed one of those,” and promptly re-gifted it to a skulking pack of Goddamned socialists.

They deserved better than the nation we’ve become. I can’t abide the feeling that approximately half of this country will either covertly or openly be grateful for tomorrow simply because they get Monday off.

1. bocopro
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 6:46 am |

Yeah, there is that. I mean, I agree; what hope remains for 70 million people who voted for the nanny state and another 70 million who didn’t bother to vote at all?

Discounting the black vote, which ignorantly went for anything other than white, and the latino vote, which went for anything free, if the ballot had had a box for “other” or “none of the above,” our next president would be Nemo.

In its advanced state of obesity-induced diabetes, the US has opted for a diet of Kool-Aid, pie in the sky, government cheese, and baloney, all dished up by a milk chocolate buss boy with an Islamic saccharine smile, an overpriced left-bank meatless menu, and recycled water with NutraSweet flavoring.

2. LostLiberty
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 7:10 am |

I’m still going to go thank George Morris, then head over and clean up Mom and Dad’s headstone.

Posted November 10, 2012 at 7:26 am |

T Party Rebels With a Cause————-Our flag is America’s flag———theirs is Obama’s flag———if their rebels can burn our flag we can burn theirs———but we won’t because theirs means nothing———-Wait———from the looks of things to come we won’t have to wait very long for it to be his fault and not Bush’s fault.
    Happy Birthday to the Marines!!! We have some damn good ones here on the Porch!!

4. jw
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 7:30 am |

their sacrifice is not lessened just because smaller men squandered it.

5. Posted November 10, 2012 at 7:45 am |

jw’s comment is worth of enshrinement.

I think I shall spend the day dealing with a few ghosts.

MC

6. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 8:43 am |

This seems like a perfect opportunity* to take the youngest [and several of his pals] to the local memorial and tell them exactly what -as envisioned by the Fore Fathers – those men fought for. How hard it was and how, on several occasions, we almost lost the whole shootin match.

Then give him/them some insight into how, in the Long View of History, things often succumb to mission creep when not watched veery closely by those in charge: The People. No reason to protect the younguns from knowing that sometimes Things turn to Shiite. Helps them prepare for when it happens to them when they have the reins to watch us handle it in our turn.

Then a segue into the fight facing us, now, and them as they come of age: to find a way to keep those First Principles alive and well and push toward their return. It’s as difficult or more so than those fights faced by any American GI in any war, though it will require a different set of skills, a different kind of thinking and a different kind of guts.

I dunno… That kind of culture/society may even require wide open frontiers to function properly. So it may not take place on this same bit of ground… I’ve been wondering why those who choose to be clumped up in cities also choose to vote blue; but that’s for another discussion on another day.

[ * I initially typed "pooportunity" - guess my subconscious is reminding me that shiite, properly handled, will make a garden grow...]

[And we didn't betray them: this started over 100 years ago with the infiltration of the Fabian Society/London School of Econ. Progressives etc. They didn't remove WWilson (and beat the hell outta him) for promising not to get us into WWI then flipping when elected... They voted FDR in over and over. There ain't a lot new in this go-round.

Those in that cemetery fought their battles for their times. We must fight ours in ours. And our sons and daughters in theirs.

History is bigger than individuals. We can only do the best we can with what we have, stick together, stick to what we know is right and pass that on. ]

7. Lurch
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 8:45 am |

Giving up your ideals instead of passing them down is when this Country truely looses. Make all the excuses you want but the day YOU stop teaching YOUR next generation is when the war is over. The battle for this great nation’s soul is far from over but we must dig deeper. I’m going to attend a WW II graveside cermony less than 20 miles from Somalia. I respectfully request you fly your Flag and thank God for what he has given us to this point. Maybe the next day we can pray for guidance in keeping it.
    LCDR, USN

8. JoeBandMember®
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:27 am |

My dad was a Navy man, fighting WWII from the engine room of a CVE. Rest in peace, Dad.

I once worked for a man who fought on Guadalcanal.
    Rest in Peace, Carl D.

My brother and his two boys are USMC. Always will be.
    Happy Birthday to the USMC.

God Bless Our Veterans.

9. TomR, armed in Texas
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 10:23 am |

I will pray.

10. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 10:58 am |

Tomorrow isn’t Memorial Day, it’s Veteran’s Day.
    It’s for those who are still with us, and some aren’t in the best of health.
    It might be nice to think of them and to thank them.
    Some have to deal with the cost of their service every day.

Me? I’m unfurling Old Glory for the day, for them.
    After all, Old Glory is one of the reasons why they’re veterans.

… and, perhaps, to remind myself what I spent my AF career doing.
    I retired after the end of the Cold War and the First Gulf War.
    I thought that we, that civilization and freedom had won, so I hung up the uniform and went home to enjoy that new world, “the end of history” they called it.
    They were wrong, of course; but when it hit the fan again on 9/11, neither I nor the uniform fit, anymore, so out in the pasture I remained.

Now, for the first time, flying Old Glory will be kind of a prayer that the prime of our lives, the energy of our youth, and the dedication of our minds shall not have been spent in vain.

11. Henri Claude
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm |

Just because an America-hating-schiztoid-serial lying-sexuallyconflicted-narcissist-pseudomarxist-islamojihadist-nutjob is occupying the presidency and a pre-alzheimers-plagarist-pervert-backstabbin-lyin-gutterrutter is in the Naval Observatory and is running around acting like a sane human being, that won’t change the fact that this is still my country, My America…..

I will attend my local Veterans Ceremony at the Cemetary as I usually do.

…..the hubris of these politicians will have its consequences, as history has amply demonstrated throughout the ages with other politicians…..

12. Posted November 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm |

Been a long time since I was a Medic in the AF. Never did nuthin’ special, just went to the day-to-day that was my job; put folks back together wherever they told me I had to be to do it.

My thanks to my Nation for deciding they needed my help! And my thanks to the real heroes who fought, and bled, and died so I could serve them in my own small way. God bless the Vets, and God bless America!

13. ZZMike
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

I understand that. For some time now, I’ve been calling England “Formerly Great Britain”. The people who fought so long and hard to make that once-great country – Nelson, Wellington, Churchill, Pitt (2 of them), Disraeli, &c. – would weep to see what’s become of their country.

Ours is following the same path.

But we can still honor the veterans who fought the good fights, for what they wanted us to become. We may have let them down recently, but as long as the fire burns somewhere in the country, there’s hope.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

14. Buzz
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm |

I’ll be spending Sunday with a couple surly old vets, doing what they enoy most: hunting deer, drinking beer and shooting the shit.
    Just for kicks, we’ll probably shoot a gun or two. (but not at deer, they respect the law, it’s bow season)
    They’re both more pissed than us about what has happened to the country they protected for us so many decades ago.

15. LLoyd
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm |

OOH RAH CLAIRE! ! ! and Doug Too! Our Vets and military will always be due the gratefulness and thankfulness from many of us regardless if most out there want to cast this dark pall over our nation and those who go out to protect it. I think of all those memorials that line the French coastline from the ‘Greatest Generation.’

Clould you even imagine if they had a fraction of this neo-gubbamint we have now? No way. I’m never giving up and what has transpired in this country is a God-wake up. I’m taking the worst lemons tha have ever bee rammed on this nation and going to make the most heavenly, tastefull Lemon Juice that people will be beggin for more of it and it will satisfiy the heart and soul.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You’ve come to fight as free (Americans… and free (Americans) you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight? It’s all for nothing if you don’t have freedom.”
    Are you ready for a war?

16. ZZMike
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm |

LLoyd: ” I think of all those memorials that line the French coastline from the ‘Greatest Generation.’”

Not just in France are there memorials to those men & women. I know there are some in Australia and New Zealand.