our new overlords despise us

…As the recaps and analyses rolled in, I was not above enjoying articles about Karl Rove’s Fox News on-air meltdowns and Donald Trump’s over-the-top Twitter feed.

But I began to notice, both in media coverage and in social media networks, that Obama supporters were not just thrilled that our guy won—folks were insanely, morbidly happy that all Republicans were miserable. And they weren’t just picking on easy and legitimate punching bags like Karl Rove and Donald Trump. Lindy West of Jezebel wrote a blog post entitled “My Ten Favorite Kinds of Right Wing Temper Tantrums” in which she proudly declared, “I am just 99 percent completely fucking delighted by every single weepy right-wing temper tantrum. I can’t stop hate-reading. I can’t stop.” A blogger for The Daily Kos wrote, “So please know, my fervid conservative friends, that I am temporarily suspending the empathic sensibility that generally informs most of us on the left. I am not laughing with you, in other words, since you seem capable of neither doubt nor self-deprecation. I am laughing at you. You are welcome to join me.” Someone created a Tumblr called White People Mourning Romney. It isn’t particularly interesting or clever, unless you just like photos of your fellow Americans crying or looking disappointed, but people sent in dozens of submissions. Judging by the number of delighted notes on each post, these photos fill many liberal hearts with glee. Mary Elizabeth Williams from Salon concludes it’s OK to meanly gloat because we New Yorkers need a reason to be happy after having such a tough time with Sandy.

Twitter and Facebook have become cesspools of schadenfreude. I’d like to think that most people wouldn’t dare say to a friend, colleague, or relative the mean-spirited gloating hatefulness that has become common in the last few days…

Why?
No cultural restraints. Leftwingers sneer at the concept of cultural standards and mode of behavior. Each year sees this taken to the next level and then the next. That’s all that we are seeing today is leftwingers sinking deeper into the morass of ‘no standards’ where public behavior is concerned.

previously

Finish your assignment! »
Let it them burn.

1. JoeBandMember®
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:21 am |

And burn they will.

2. kinlaw
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:40 am |

I am deeply worried for my country, but comments from lefties like this:

“…that I am temporarily suspending the empathic sensibility that generally informs most of us on the left.”

Are giving me a chuckle today.

Child, please, empathic sensibility? From the left?

Hee haw.

3. JoeBandMember®
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:45 am |

4. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 10:07 am |

The verbal equivalent of a sports-championship victory riot.

At some point in the next four years, I expect there will come a point when actual repression and violence against us un-Prog infidels and reactionaries will become legitimized.

For those who say, “It can’t happen here,” I say, “Bull.”
    Even Americans are human, and humans throughout the world and throughout history have shown an affinity for repression. Of course, it’s justified as “for the greater good” and stuff (real motives vary). The left has a strong belief in “the end justifies the means.” Their belief in the ultimate morality of a Workers’ Paradise (or whatever) allows them to dismiss our outmoded bourgeois attachment to individual rights. Amplify this by the thought that they are thiiiiiis close to victory. They can taste the power, and we … are in the way.

5. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 10:48 am |

^ I have been privy to their personal hatred, viciousness and vindictiveness for years now. For simply disagreeing and stating so.

They can justify ANYthing. They are sociopaths and nothing they do or say surprises me and hasn’t for a long time. Just when I think they’ve reached the apex and have unhinged beyond sanity they amp it up one more.

And they despise us.

* spit *

6. Thomas M.
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 11:05 am |

That they will, in time, burn is likely. But the day they booed Bush, inauguration day 2009, they froze their @sses off.

I bicycled down that afternoon to witness the aftermath and recorded a high of 27 degrees with 20+ mile an hour winds.

7. MCPO
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 11:08 am |

I had a conversation with an Obama voter that turned to the surreal 2 days ago. They voted for Obama because the Republican party is all rich white men. Those rich white men should not be allowed to make that much money or spend money on political campaigns. But, unions should be able to contribute without ANY restrictions. Finally, all Republicans want to outlaw abortions, kill gays, bus illegals to the border and force black people back to Jim Crow status.

I’m giving up on politics because I cannot communicate with the denizens from another planet that vote Democrat. Fuck ‘em all.

8. JoeBandMember®
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 11:32 am |

Nobody knows the things the “progressives” are capable better than our boss lady here at the porch.

I’ve seen a lot of the same, though, and “just for disagreeing”.

And, as I and others have been warning, it will escalate every time they get away with it.

I once hoped that the authorities would get a handle on it before a law abiding citizen is forced to use deadly force in self defense. I have now given up on that and will do what it takes to defend myself, my family, and my home.

Be vigilant. Be VERY vigilant.

9. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 11:54 am |

This.

10. ZZMike
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm |

“Leftwingers sneer at the concept of cultural standards and mode of behavior.”

Haven’t you gotten the memo? Cultural relativism is today’s paradigm. No culture is any better or worse than any other, so as a consequence, anything goes.

The only thing we won’t tolerate is meanness directed at liberals or Muslims.

11. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

Butbutbuttt — what about their empaaaathic sensibility?!?!?

If “No culture is any better or worse than any other” then I claim “Diversity Rights” and demand to be left alone to continue practicing my “quaint, antiquated bourgeois attachment to individual rights.” I think we oughta formulate a Conscientious Objector status: eg I don’t hafta pay for OboboboKare and I promise not to demand anything of it.

12. Merovign
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |

No one living (who is not a lefty themselves) has seen “empathic sensibility” from one of them. I have never experienced that from one in a context where politics entered into it. Rudeness, sneering, condescending, lies, distortion, sure, but not empathy.

And you can’t communicate with them because their ideology isn’t a conclusion based on the world around them but a premise based on their sense of identity. If you challenge their ideas, no matter how bonkers they are, you are attacking their identity and they will go apeshit.

If you try to point out, for example, the empirically demonstrable fact that the economic downturn happened when the Congress, which controls the purse-strings, went Democratic, and not when Bush took office, they won’t examine the numbers and dates, they will act like you kicked their dog and lash out at you.

It’s a mental illness and we don’t have mechanisms to cope with vast numbers of mentally ill people.

The sad thing is, I do feel sorry for them. If the world actually was what they thought it was, it would be a very frightening place for them. As it happens, it’s actually a very frightening place for everyone else in no small part because of them.

13. Buzz
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm |

They think we mourn for Romney and it’s clear a sign they don’t “get” us and never will.

We mourn for America, the republic and freedom.
    With a few exceptions, we don’t worship individuals.

Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm |

Given the cognitive dissonance in Progs that Merovign and MCPO noted, and most of us have experienced, I think the only hope of reaching them, stopping them or turning them more to the right, short of liquidation, is for them to feel the consequences of their preferences. For more than a century, our productive and wealthy society has provided a factor of safety, a design margin, that not only carried the Progs here, but in Europe as well. The Progs alive now in Europe and the USA have never had to live within the consequences of their beliefs, but now, Europe’s margin is gone with the muzzies snarling at their ankles and hyperinflation looming, and Commander Benghazi is intent on stripping away what little if any margin we have left remaining (I don’t like ‘left’.) here in America.
    How can we hasten the consequences?

15. Merovign
    Posted November 11, 2012 at 3:45 am |

Dick, the left have been slaughtering peasants at an alarming rate for over two centuries, and *that* hasn’t caught up with them yet.

The cult’s first precept is that the cult is not held responsible for its failures.