a respectable cluebat

At a morning press conference that set the standard for today’s testy responses, Sen. John McCain was calling for a select committee to investigate failures in the Benghazi attack when he was asked by a reporter whether he thought Gen. David Petraeus’ extramarital affair and resignation might have been a bigger national security threat than the Benghazi attack and its aftermath.

His response

1. apotheosis
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm |

Someone call McCain and tell him he’s being impersonated by an adult who isn’t afraid of the press and won’t hesitate to shit on a reporter when it’s warranted.

On second thought, wherever he is, let the real McCain eat his goddamned tapioca in contrite silence.

2. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm |

If he meant “today,”
    then yeah.

3. Steve Skubinna
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

Careful, Senator, you don’t want to get on the bad side of the press. What if they took it poorly and started writing mean things about you? I’m astonished that you’d risk their respect like that.

4. Posted November 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm |

Can this story ever be complete without an appearance by Frau Bleücher Gloria Allred?

[Today Show producer into headset mic] “Cue the bitch in 3… 2… 1… “

5. MCPO
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm |

4 year too late for him. Maybe MAVERICK is finally getting it?

6. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm |

Hog…OMG! I wouldn’t be surprised at this point.

I just said to JR: ” This has the potential to get really…icky and I’m askared…”

7. MikeG
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm |

I’m with you Sondra. This thing is not over yet. Maybe I’ve missed it, but I’m waiting for the first Dem to have the balls to say, “OK, WTF? let’s get this thing figured out.

I suppose we could impeach the bastard. Go-ram Senate would never convict.

Is treason still a hangin’ offense?

*note to secret service. Just askin’ a question. Calm down.

8. iD
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm |

“That’s a clown question, bro.”

9. iD
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm |

I’m referring to the reporter, of course. Not you, Mike.

10. apotheosis
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm |

“That’s a clown question, bro.”

I just pictured McCain saying that, and lol’d.

11. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm |

^ NOW ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. PeggyU
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 12:45 am |

I’d take Biden over Obama, if only to get rid of the swooning media groupies. Let’s see Chris Matthews get a tingle off of THAT!

13. Merovign
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 1:50 am |

You misunderstand why they’re swooning, Peggy. I mean, yeah, a degree of it is the Messiah thing, but it’s mostly Identity Politics – not ethnic identity, but ideological identity driven by what they believe they must believe to maintain their self-image.

They would follow Biden, they would follow Dukakis, they would follow Donald Duck if he gave them the excuse of parroting their “list.”

14. Posted November 15, 2012 at 2:15 am |

And let us not forget that the one who let the cat out of the bag on this one is some Lebanese ‘Socialite’ with a twin sister, who also had something to do with it. I doubt if that will go very far, but you have to admit, it does add something to the stew.

About the only thing that would make it any better, at this point, is if they were Siamese-Lebanese twins. Then we’d have a Story!

15. Posted November 15, 2012 at 9:22 am |

Actually, this Petraeus investigation is more important that the Benghazi attack itself.

The fact that a an American President would dig up penny-ante tabloid bullshit to try to silence his CIA director before he could testify in congress about the President’s incredible cowardice and incompetence is extremely important.

16. Posted November 15, 2012 at 9:24 am |

And Petraeus did NOT hand over pages of stuff.

The FBI is combing through pages of emails between him and his mistress, looking for something to hammer him with.

17. ZZMike
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm |

I learn something every day. Now I know that when someone says, “with all due respect”, he means “you ignorant moron”.