todaze celebrity wtfor real

Janeane Garofalo was married for 20 years and didn’t even know it, until she needed to get divorced Saturday.

She explained at a New York Comedy Festival reunion for “The Ben Stiller Show” that she married a writer on the series — Rob Cohen, who went on to produce “The Big Bang Theory” — in Las Vegas as a joke in the 1990s, and didn’t realize the nuptials had stuck.

“Rob and I got married, for real, which we had to have a notary dissolve not 30 minutes before we got here tonight,” Garofalo said. “We were married for 20 years until this evening.”

Apparently, Garofalo’s marital status wasn’t discovered until Cohen decided to get married “for real” and his lawyer discovered he already was…

1. mojo
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm |

Shit for brains, x2.

2. logdogsmith
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 1:17 pm |

Gay marriage was legal back then?

3. ZZMike
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm |

It’s easy to forget little things like that.

4. MCPO
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm |

When will the IRS go after her for the back taxes she owes (different rate for single vs. married filing separately) and fraudulent filings?

Oh wait, she’s a spittle-flecked, screaming Marxist?
    Never mind.

5. Posted November 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm |

Words fail me, really, I sat here staring at this screen for a good five minutes, nothing!

6. rickn8or
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm |

Notaries can dissolve marriages? Then why the hell did I hire a divorce lawyer?

MCPO, never mind the IRS, I’m thinking about property settlement.

Posted November 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

I got married once for real and—–wished I had forgotten it!

{…turns out I was qualified—but—not suitable; like flying a transport aircraft instead of a fighter…}

Like yannow, Copilot to Pilot: “Okay then mister pilot, YOU read your own damn landing checklist cuz I`M going *cold mike* buster!” Me: “But that`s unsafe and we got passenger`s lives to worry about…” Copilot: “LALALALALALALALALALALALA; can`t hear you—-KLIK

Bitch Garafolo, having not an iota of virture, cares for nothing but herself!

8. Steve Skubinna
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm |

What kind of idiot thinks getting married is a “joke” that has no actual status? Why would you go through a Vegas marriage and NOT think it was real? How frickin’ stupid can you be to…

Never mind. I withdraw the question.

9. Posted November 14, 2012 at 4:49 pm |

I have heard of ways for people to “get married” without realizing it (common law marriages, for example, or in a few counties in the country there are some old laws where, if you register at a hotel as a married couple (for the purposes of having an affair), you would be registered as married (written in order to provide grounds to prosecute for bigamy if you had an affair, essentially; when these laws were first written, a few people tried to use these laws for “quickie marriages,” however; I think nowadays these laws, while still on the books, are unenforced)). As a fiction writer, the idea of an “accidental marriage” makes good story fodder, so finding plausible ways for it to happen is fun to think about.

As a writer of fiction, I wouldn’t be able to get away with someone having gotten married “as a joke” and just forgotten about it, or not realized that — after going through the legal process (even for a quickie marriage legal process) required — the ceremony they were involved in was real. Being drunk and forgetting about it? Sure. But just not taking it seriously at the time?

It “violates my suspension of disbelief.” They say that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, but it also violates my personal incredulity.

There’s more to this story, somehow.

10. Posted November 14, 2012 at 6:34 pm |

In defense of the husband, would YOU want to admit you were married to that harpy for 20 years?

11. Posted November 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm |

Gwillie (5): I’m not a loss for words. How are these?

Ewwwww! Just ewwwww! Ick! Icky-poooo!

12. Justin Credible
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm |

In other Garafalo news, she’s going to be in a “variety show” hosted by

OWS.

13. Fat Baxter
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm |

MCPO: “When will the IRS go after her for the back taxes she owes?

Drop a dime on her and find out. After all, this Administration is desperate to collect every bit of tax it can.

She should be proud to do her fair share.

Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm |

I see ‘gravitas’ is back in fashion. /sarc

15. Freddie Sykes
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 8:52 am |

Imagine hiring a lawyer to do a background check on yourself before getting married.

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus and lawyers and their clients are from Uranus.

16. Posted November 15, 2012 at 9:30 am |

Once the preacher send in the form to the county clerk, the deed is done.

I once performed a marriage at an SF convention in Vancouver BC as a self-appointed priest of the Church of the Sub-Genius. I used a variant of Roger Zelazny’s Agnostic’s Prayer … heh.

The provincial authorities were more than happy to take my signature on the form.

Their parents were horrified, but the couple was happy.