i’m sure this is just a buncha red-baiting paranoia.

I mean, ever since O hit the reset button, the ChiComs are our friends and any suggestion to the contrary, well, let’s just say them what thinks like that should get fitted for a white jacket, right?

Terceira, however, has one big attraction for Beijing: Air Base No. 4. Better known as Lajes Field, the facility where Premier Wen’s 747 landed in June is jointly operated by the U.S. Air Force and its Portuguese counterpart. If China controlled the base, the Atlantic would no longer be secure. From the 10,865-foot runway on the northeast edge of the island, Chinese planes could patrol the northern and central portions of the Atlantic and thereby cut air and sea traffic between the U.S. and Europe. Beijing would also be able to deny access to the nearby Mediterranean Sea.

And China could target the American homeland. Lajes is less than 2,300 miles from New York, shorter than the distance between Pearl Harbor and Los Angeles.

It’s as implausible as the plot of Red Storm Rising, where the vital Atlantic strategic chokepoint of Iceland is captured by filthy commies, and we know stuff like that doesn’t happen in real life.

I mean honestly, suicide missions flying planes into buildings. What a load of rubbish.

Anyway, I’m sure our CIC is aware of the situation and is taking the necessary steps to ensure the continued security of the Atlantic.

Posted November 15, 2012 at 5:06 pm |

Commander Benghazi is so concerned, after his ten am wakeup call, he flew around New Jersey for an hour or so to have lunch, and hurried back to the White House for his private screening of Lincoln. He doesn’t actually want to see the movie, he just wants to be seen with Spielberg, Day-Lewis and Jones. He wants a part in the prequel, where he can play Frederick Douglas. A stretch? Not hardly; he already claims to be Lincoln and FDR.
    BTW, I heard some ads on the radio for Lincoln, and Lincoln was saying “fairness” and “justice”.
    I’m not sure “fairness” was a term in useage in Lincoln’s time, so I suspect this movie will be in the Ken Burns vein, where it’s all about the blacks, not the hundreds of thousands of white soldiers who died to free them. Given the threat of a PC message film and that Spielberg is a millionaire and billionaire hypocrite who shelters every nickel of his wealth while being an avid Commander Benghazi ass kisser, I won’t see it. Fuck them.

2. apotheosis
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 5:18 pm |

Honestly, I haven’t paid to see a movie (other than the two Atlas Shrugged films) since…I’m not sure when, really. Last movie I saw in the theater was that TRON sequel because my son wanted to see it in 3D (really, it was all him. Really).

Before that? No clue. Most shit coming out of hollyweird anymore is only barely worth stealing, and then only as a display of contempt.

3. kinlaw
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm |

It just gets worse and worse, and I keep thinking I am going to wake up from this nightmare.

Wake up next to Head Missy or Melissa.

Wait, that’s another dream. Sorry.

4. Posted November 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm |

It has never even crossed my mind to see it. I would rather watch Abraham Lincoln – Vampire Hunter than that load of claptrap.

Plus, I’ve been waiting my whole life just to use the word “claptrap” in a sentence.

With any luck, “poppycock” will be the next one.

Oh shit, I just saw what I did there.

5. Posted November 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm |

From time to time I would get a feeling of impending doom but it would pass.
    Not anymore.
    Pass.

Posted November 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm |

Yeesh.

Why doesnothing surprise me anymore?

7. Posted November 15, 2012 at 8:08 pm |

Movies worth paying good old fashioned, U.S. currency greenback dollahs on:

Current, or very recent, still making $ for the initial release and first DVD runs:

Act of Valor

Obama 2016

Can’t think of any others. Suggestions?

Jim
    Sunk New Dawn
    Galveston, TX

8. apotheosis
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm |

Don’t think I can watch that “2016″ movie now.

Y’know, spoilers and all.

9. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm |

I wonder if the island has a mountain on it for raising a flag when the Marines eventually have to re-take the airfield.

Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:55 pm |

Apo, I didn’t mean to divert the path of your post to movies. The Euro’s have been coasting along in blissful socialism for ~60 years thanks to our carrying their defense and cash burdens. We could do that because of the large safety factor in our economy, but now the Euro’s are out of margin and into structural failure at a time when we are also about to buckle. Portugal’s politicians, along with many others in Europe and likewise our own looter leaders won’t face reality and deal with it, fearing for their jobs and lifestyle. Methinks many a Euro politico would sell out to the Chicoms to stay in power and finance their little utopias a little longer.
    Funny thing is, it wouldn’t last, because the muzzies will take over Europe, and they hate all infidels, not just the Euro’s and us. The Chicoms can crush the local Uighurs, but Europe is a long supply chain for anti jihad activities. Then again, considering that they have control of huge swaths of ‘agricultural’ land in African, maybe that would not be a stretch.
    Whatever, the Chicoms are in it for the long game, an inch at a time, while our DC leaders can’t see beyond gentitalia.
    Moving AFRICOM to the Azores seems to make better geographical sense than having it in Stuttgart, but I have doubts many of our Perfumed Princes would care for its isolation and lack of cultural amenities. I don’t understand why AFRICOM isn’t at Sigonella, which is very close to Saharan (Muslim) Africa

11. Paul Moore
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 1:04 am |

Regarding “Lincoln” My experience is that Hollywood’s biggest turkeys arrive with a great deal of advance gobbling. (Thanksgiving metaphor)

12. TomR, armed in Texas
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 10:41 am |

Well, the chicoms already control the Panama Canal, Jimmy Carter’s gift to PC. They almost got Long Beach, but as dick states, they are patient. It will eventually be gifted to them.

13. ZZMike
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

apotheosis (#2): You might try seeing Argo.

Based on a true story of hostage rescue during the Carter era, and on a guy, Antonio Mendez, who should really be on our list of heroes.

For movie fans, Alan Arkin and John Goodman are great supporting characters. Stay through the credits: the actors photos are alongside those of the real-life people. (Who, according to the credits, all went back into Foreign Service.)

In other news, this came through eMail:

A doctor on TV said that in order to have inner peace in our lives after this election, we should always finish things that we start. Since we all could use more calm in our lives, I looked around my house to find things I’d started & hadn’t finished.

I finished-off a bottle of Jack Daniels, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of rumm, tha mainder of Valiuminun scriptins, an a boxx a choclutz. Yu haf no idr how fablus I feel rite now.

Sned this to all ur frenz who need inner piss.

An telum u luvum.

14. Posted November 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm |

^ Jim
    Sunk New Dawn
    Galveston, TX

If you have Netflix, you can watch Dreams From My Real Father right now, for free. I think it’s better than Obama 2016, tho that one wasn’t bad either.