Who saw this coming?!?!

no one spoke up for Dr Better*

Here comes the Booze Tax!

a nutritional epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [said] “It’s not insignificant, it’s contributing to your total calorie intake for a day,”

…close to 20 percent of men and 6 percent of women consume more than 300 calories from alcohol daily…

For reference, there are about 150 calories in 12-ounce can of soda, 150 calories in a glass of beer, 120 calories in a glass of wine, and 100 calories in 1.5 ounces of liquor.

Adults who consume alcohol get about 16 percent of their daily calories from alcoholic beverages. That’s about the same percentage of extra calories the average child consumes in added sugars.

Well, that’s obvious. Martinis are my diet drink of choice!

And if I ate 1865 calories a day I wouldn’t fit in the kitchen. or the bar.

OTOH, 1865 calories would be a starvation diet for some young, active males… [MREs are on average 1250 calories for a daily total of 3750. Rather a bit of a difference in requirements, eh?]

So wth is it with the one-size-fits-all approach… oh, wait.
Nevermiiind.

Here’s your “balance:”

Some studies have found health benefits from alcohol, such as a decreased risk of heart attack and stroke. Dietary guidelines recommend people consume alcohol in moderation: one daily drink for women, and two for men.

Sexist bassturdz.

1. mojo
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 9:35 am |

My reccomendation: ignore the experts. They ain’t.

2. mojo
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:27 am |

PS: Nutrition is an epidemic? Who knew?

3. Freddie Sykes
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:27 am |

I am on the Emmylou Harris diet: I always make sure that by midnight I have at least two more bottles of wine… you know, just in case.

4. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:35 am |

I loves me some martinis.

Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:53 am |

I am on a food and drink diet. I know it works because I use the bathroom. (…I recall knawin on a dirt clod as a youngn, and found it wanting. Years later, I tried Ham & Lungers C-rats in Nam & decided it was exactly what that dirt clod wanted…)

Two drinks for a guy? Then I am “double healthy”! Being numerically conscious, if I fall behind during the week I judiciously bring the numbers back up on a Saturday night.

And I NEVER drink within 50 feet of an aircraft!!!!!!! (…IAW fighter sqdn rules…)

6. Warren Pease
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 11:01 am |

Living in this chaos, I’m surprised it is so few calories. Every time I read the news, I think I should up my scotch consumption.

7. kinlaw
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm |

Ah, being a man; it has so many advantages.

Sorry Claire, I couldn’t resist. :-)

8. rickn8or
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm |

As the saying goes, “There’s more old drunks than there are old doctors.”

And if I need advice about my diet (or anything for that matter) I’ve got an ex-wife that provides it for free and usually without my asking for it.

9. Caged Insanity
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm |

1 for men, 2 for women?

Sounds like research written by men who can’t get laid.

10. Melissa In Texas
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm |

DAMMIT!
    Leave my wine alone!
    I actually ADDED wine to my diet FOR the calories!
    My doc suggested beer, but that is just not a taste I can force myself to acquire! Guinness?
    *shudder*
    tried that too…. couldn’t swallow it!
    *gack*
    so what about those of us who are UNDER weight?
    *can’t freakin’ win for losin’!

11. Veranda
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm |

I count the calories in my cocktails as I do any caloric intake.

12. rickn8or
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm |

Caged Insanity, that sounds ack-basswards. “Two for she and one for me.”

13. Steve Skubinna
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm |

Reminds me of the old Cold War joke,

A US and a Soviet general were talking about how their troops lives. The Soviet said “In glorious Red Army, daily ration for soldiers is 2000 calories.”

“Really?” said the American. “Our daily ration is 3000 calories.”

“Impossible!” Said the Soviet. “Nobody can eat entire sakc of potatoes in one day!”

Melissa, for your diet, try cider. Apple is not hard to find, but my favorite is pear cider.

14. JO
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 3:49 pm |

That’s why I like bourbon on the rocks instead of beer, wine or especially mixed drinks….80 calories for a ounce…less than an apple!

Posted November 17, 2012 at 12:26 am |

Sooo, if I drink 10 bourbons—–it`s like a sack of apples?