and now, a memorial cultural ref

Well, let’s say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of debt in the national budget. Based on this morning’s sample, it would be a Twinkie… thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

1. mojo
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm |

“Guys… GUYS!… You’re scaring the straights.”

2. JoeBandMember™
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

“Look for the union label……”

The sad thing is that the Teamsters had an agreement, but it was the Bakery union that killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Now thousands of families are without an income in this economy.

But the union bosses still have their fancy homes cars and big cigars. I guess that’s what counts to THEM…

3. Posted November 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm |

I’m sure the Twinkie will survive… baked in China.

4. Stick
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 4:18 pm |

Twitterati:
    How is that Hostess survived the Great Depression, but not the Bakers’ Union?

So…It turns out Twinkies DO have an expiration date.

5. Merovign
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm |

The worst part is, I can’t kick people in their Ho-Hos anymore, I now have to kick them in their Little Debbies.

It’s just not the same.

6. Justin Credible
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 7:41 pm |

And, right on schedule, E-bay has all the Twinkies.

7. Justin Credible
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm |

Oops. I didn’t read down far enough before I typed.

My ‘Lympian moment.

8. Fat Baxter
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm |

Speaking of union overreach: I read where the unions, especially the SEIU, the teachers unions… and the UAW…. all participated heavily in GOTV efforts on behalf of the Democrats, with the now-obvious results.

Since I had previously owned a piece of GM crap, and my wife had similarly owned a Chrysler turd, it was easy a few years back to write off those two for taking the bailout money.

That left Ford, which was OK by me, ’cause I like Fords. I’ve had a couple, my dad swears by them, and my brother has had several as well. All very durable products.

But no more. The unions wanted Obama so bad, they can own him. I will not buy anything that puts money in union pockets.

My next vehicle will be Asian. Fuck the unions!

9. JoeBandMember©®
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 9:53 am |

You wouldn’t enjoy it, Fat.

They just lay there and sweat.

10. Fat Baxter
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 10:05 am |

^^ Old joke: “I got a sweater for Christmas. I wanted a moaner.”

11. Posted November 17, 2012 at 11:53 am |

Then you have that moronic imbecile Richard Tromka, saying yesterday the following: ‘“What’s happening with Hostess Brands is a microcosm of what’s wrong with America, as Bain-style Wall Street vultures make themselves rich by making America poor.” “Crony capitalism and consistently poor management drove Hostess into the ground, but its workers are paying the price.” He blames Romney for this!

Somebody needs to remind him that the election is over, and his guy won!

And 18 thousand American Union Baker families suddenly find themselves without a paycheck, just in time for Christmas, not to mention the union truckers, the people working in the distribution centers, the wholesalers, and the retailers who will all be looking at losses for the last month of the year.

Sure, someone might buy up the rights to the product names, and might buy up some of the bakeries, and the distribution network, but these aren’t going to be Union jobs any more, and the paychecks are going to look like something from Wally World. And the idiots who are willing to entertain $100 bids for A TWINKIE on the Internet will still go blindly on in their Unicorn World. But it won’t be the same, will it?

Looks like the Baker’s Union has been reading from the old PATCO union leadership booklet. And it worked out so well for them!

12. apotheosis
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm |

Trumka’s a vile bloated ditchpig. He comes out swinging for “the unions” when even his own beloved Teamsters thought this strike was a bad idea.

Screw him. Let it burn.

13. ZZMike
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm |

What’s a trillion? Take seconds as a starting point: about 31.6 million seconds in a year. A trillion seconds take 31.7 years to count out.

Doesn’t seem all that long … but do this: take a nice comfortable seat in front of a clock with a second hand. Watch it day and night for 31 years 8 months.

14. PeggyU
    Posted November 18, 2012 at 1:51 am |

Yeah, but 16 trillion would be 507.2 years, and I just don’t think I can sit in a chair that long.