to be continued……

Rumsfeld had a couple “seizures” on Nov 3… and then 3 more yesterday from 4 am-5pm.
I put them in quotes because the vet said they don’t seem to fit the normal protocol of seizures…the ictal…/post ictal stage etc. isn’t there. But he lies on his side and “seizes” and thrashes and drools puddles. He comes out of these episodes pretty quickly ( 2-3 minutes ) and within minutes he’s back to his normal energetic playful self.
Of course the first two were at The Asylum at midnight on a Saturday in the middle of nowhere but we did manage to get ahold of an emergency vet about an hour away. She didn’t see the point of an emergency visit as the episodes had already passed and the next step of course would be a bunch of tests etc that could be handled by my regular vet when we got home. At that point they just stopped and he was just normal until yesterday…and in denial, we chalked it up to the little pine tree air freshener I’d hung on the tree inside the house. Hey, the Googles said it actually happens quite frequently. Of course that would have been the simple explanation…

He’s had the Lepto shots over the last month or so and had his rabies vaccination the Wednesday before the first episode…I’m inclined to think they have something to do with it. The vet doesn’t think so.
He’s staying there for the day for observation ( and perhaps so we can get a little rest…we’ve been wrecks ) and we’re going to do some intensive blood and urine testing and she’s going to consult with a neuro specialist. Everything else checks out. He’s otherwise in perfect health.

Sorry I’m just not up for much…pre-occupied…beyond stressed and freaking exhausted. Been staring at my dog for about 30 hours straight waiting for it to happen again and for 7 am…….

So now we wait some more………..

1. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 11:44 am |

So sorry. Try to get some rest.

2. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 11:49 am |

Oh Honey! Big hugs all around!

Tain’t necessarily to worry too hard over though I would be, too. I know you’re onna do the bet for him. Ask the vet if the seisures are doing any damage to him, first.

Otherwise they may be nothing other than unattractive. Louie the Weee-ner has ‘em regularly [and his brothers occasionally - it's a weeee-ner thing, they say] and one thing that helps is to hold him gently and shade his eyes from the light. Seems to make them less severe. Afterward he has a nap and is his same self.

We’re all hoping it’s just that kind of thing!!

Kisses to Rummy!

3. Jess
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm |

I had a dog that lived a substantial amount of years taking anti-seizure medications. Since he was a pound puppy, and fully grown when he came to live with me, I have no idea if some event while a puppy was the reason.

Posted November 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm |

The hard part is getting a positive diagnosis. The “it could be’s” drive you nuts. Once you know you’ll know what to do for him. Even tho he’s “otherwise in perfect health” there is something and the perfect health is a good thing in combating what ever that is. Because they don’t fit the normal protocol and if he doesn’t have an episode during his stay, if and when he has one while he’s home with you, if you can, video it so you can show the vet..

5. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm |

^ geezerette…funny, while Googling I saw a few youtubes pop up of people taking video of seizure episodes and there was no way I could watch them because it freaked me out that someone would take a video of their dog in seizure….until the ride home from the vet and I realized how brilliant that is for showing the vet.

I was beyond hysterical for the first one and have been trying so gallantly to be calm and rational with this but trying to explain these things to a vet in a way that they could get actual info from it besides the fact that I was hysterical was a challenge.

I suspect he won’t have one while they have him there to observe. The car/funny noise/mechanic thing….

Claire, I’ve read that putting ice on their back,,,,the “1/3rd” above the hips and draped down the sides helps.

Because I have never seen it coming ( no wierd pre-ictal stages ) and we only see him already in the throes I don’t REALLY know if it’s helping. We kept the cooler with the ice pack in it in the bedroom last night so we could react to it more quickly with the ice and of course ( thank God ) he didn’t have another one…

6. Posted November 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

Thoughts and prayers…. Darn how those furry critters become Family Members!

Posted November 23, 2012 at 2:01 pm |

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don’t know we don’t know.
    –Donald Rumsfeld

This sounds like it fits in that category.

(or did Rummy misunderstand the job description for seizure alert dog?)

Here’s hoping he stays all better and the episodes fade into a foot note in his puppy book.

8. Posted November 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm |

Try not to stare at them. It makes them nervous.

9. Posted November 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm |

Hang in there!!!

Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

10. apotheosis
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm |

My sister’s little froofy dog did the same thing a couple of months back…just a complete seizure out of nowhere, no previous symptoms or anything. Vet put her under observation for a coupla days and it just went away, hasn’t happened since. They never could tell us what it was.

Hugs to you and your derg. I’m sure it’ll be okay.

11. Dave
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm |

I don’t have pets, and I’m not attached to animals. I do understand that they can become a part of your family, and you love them. I hope everything comes out OK.
    God bless

12. blindshooter
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm |

They do worm into your heart and that makes it hard to watch them struggle with health issues. The video idea is a good one even if it is hard. I can see me trying to mimic the dog having a seizure with the vet trying not to laugh out loud. Good luck!

13. Paul Moore
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm |

Hugs from here too. I haven’t forgotten your words of comfort for me awhile back…

14. Claire
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm |

Oh! Have the vet do a -careful- check of his teeth. My pal J had a dog seize for years while she hunted and searched and checked and paid… And finally one vet noticed a broken back molar. Once it was fixed no more seizures.

15. Claire
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

And … Did he drink any sea water? And puke? Dehydration can cause seizures.

And sometimes infections cause it.

Lepto shots are not for small dogs, J said. I dont know if R is considered “small” … Might wanna get him titered before next time.

J sends her doggie loves.

Posted November 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm |

We’ve all fallen in love with the puppies give him a hug and scratch behind the ears for us.

17. Posted November 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm |

Dammit. Critter troubles are never fun.

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious, and the little bugger can get back to his normal annoying.

18. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm |

[insert ear scratch]

The pic was taken while sayin’ goodbye at Missy’s last year.
    *sniff*

19. kinlaw
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 8:36 pm |

God bless you both.

20. Posted November 23, 2012 at 8:57 pm |

Our Josie, a big lab, had two or three a year but she lived for fourteen years. I think the onset scared her and it helped if somebody was close by and there when she came out of it. They know when you are there for them.

21. MikeG
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm |

Sondra—-

Tell Rummy to lay off the MSNBC. That hapens to me too when I watch that drivel.

Hugs ‘n’ kisses ‘n’ prayers to you all.

Posted November 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm |

Poor babies – all three of you. Be there to comfort Rummy when he comes out of one of those things in case he’s scared, but his apparent lack of disorientation and fright is probably a good thing for all of you. Best wishes for a speedy and good resolution to this.

23. LLoyd
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm |

Awwwww Sondra. Give Rumy a big “God loves you ” hug for me and keep one for you self ;o)

My little Kit has been losing weight over the last 6 months and for the past 2 I have had a full time job giving her meds and feeding her. We all know how easy it is to get Khets to do their meds. And–Kit was ner that much a big eater but she always looked good. Just now she has HBP and overactive thyroid. She is so light and thin. Every day. And she sleeps on a table I have next to my chair that I sleeep in and she’s there most the time to. We love our little animals so much.

As that cutie Rummy. I don’t know Sondra. I would be just as concerned. I want them be OK. Ya Know? ;o)

24. Lucius Severus Pertinax
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:17 am |

Our Boston Terror , Jiggs, that we had when I was growing up,
    had epilepsy. The seizures started when he was 4 years old. He had to be given a pill EVERY day to keep them at bay. So long as he got his pill, he was fine. But… if he missed only ONE day, he would have a seizure; that lasted 3-5 mins. They were terrifying to him. Dad was the only one who could “talk him down” off of one.

When I was in Basic Training, I got the letter that told me Jiggie had died…. He had a seizure that just would not stop. The vet said his heart failed under the stress.

Hell of a time to get news like that…
    38 years.. and I still miss him.

25. PeggyU
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:17 am |

Mech – My sister-in-law has epilepsy, and her dog (not a seizure dog by training, but apparently a self-taught one) can tell when she is about to have one and moves her away from objects she might hurt herself on. Needless to say, they are very attached to this dog!

I hope Rummy is feeling better soon, and that this is a temporary problem! Visits to the vet suck.

26. Annoyed White Male
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:10 am |

Chocolate contains several stimulants and dogs are extremely sensitive to them. The darker, the worse. My dog that weighted 35 lbs. did exactly the same thing a while after eating a normal size chocolate bar. She went rigid for about 2 minutes, then it quickly wore off with no after-effects. I imagine a Corgi would take less. Some dogs are more sensitive to it than others. Look for chewed wrappers around the house or in the dog’s poop. If you find one, that’s it.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:54 am |

I said something to this affect a long time ago——–It’s obvious with the people who belong to the porch or comment on it not everyone agrees with everything (which is good) but there is defiantly one common thread connecting all and that is we all love animals.

28. Buzz D.
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:53 am |

Sondra,
    I pray things work out well for Rummy. My thoughts are with you.