today’s celebrity makes me smile and you can dance to it

South Korean rap star Psy’s music video “Gangnam Style” on Saturday became the most watched item on YouTube with over 800 million views…

and of course…

Finish your assignment! »

1. Another Bob
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

I sorta liked the Big Trouble in Little China parody of Gangnam Style:

-B

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm |

I’m such a loser. This is all new to me……..

Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm |

Same dance as the movie Grease. Big deal.

4. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm |

I think he’s adorable.

5. Paul
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm |

I think Hitler did it better.

6. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm |

Well I think it’s just plain old FUN and if there’s some kind of earth shattering political message in there I’m just not seeing it so it makes me happy :)

Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm |

You enjoy that.

And you can enjoy all my share.

I’ll leave the Country Music Station on in my truck.

(this country, as in Western)

Yeah, I’m stubborn about some things.

8. Brad
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

I watched the G.S. vid four times in a row the day after the election. It did wonders for dispelling the blue funk I was in.

Check out the original with 800 milion+ views, it is just a crazy mess of images that always makes me laugh.

Yea, I know, easily amused.

9. Justin Credible
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm |

The possibly dark side of the phenomenon.

10. PatrickP
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:05 am |

Korean boyfriend explains that the song is mocking the bourgeois nouveau riche in the Gangnam district of Seoul.

11. Paul Moore
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:36 am |

Ah sooo! Gangnam DISTRICT! I thought it was Engrish for “Gangsta”. Ignorant round eyed fool that I am.
    So this is like the suburban white boy rapper wannabes in their hoodies?

12. Steve Skubinna
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 8:40 am |

Gotta second the nomination of the Lopan Style video. If you haven’t followed Another Bob’s link, then do so right now.

Unless you’ve never seen Big Trouble in Little China, in which case you ought to find another blog to hang out.

13. Chris in NC
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 9:25 am |

I wonder if he knows people are laughing at him because he looks so goofy. He may actually take himself seriously… Like all hip hop/rap shit, it’s so stupid they think they’re cool…

14. Chris in NC
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 9:27 am |

Ugh, change that last sentence to : Like all rap/hip hop stuff, it’s so stupid and they actually think they look cool…

15. Brad
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 9:42 am |

No, he does not take it seriously. There is a “making of the video” short video that shows him laughing his ass off reviewing each completed take.

Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:20 am |

All over North Korea, counter-intel Norks are blowing their brains out!

17. PatrickP
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:11 am |

We haven’t pop/dance/bizarro worldwide phenomenon in a while so this is sort of refreshing.

18. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:13 am |

I like that he’s dorky and it’s just fun…and it seems to make MOST everyone happy. Except for mech……..

Posted November 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm |

Every generation has to have a new dance craze.

20. Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm |

I really enjoyed the cameo by Hammer. STOP! One Hit Wonder Time.

My 20 year old told me that Monty Python did Gangnam before it was cool. I was lost until he referenced “the Holy Grail” horse ride.

Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm |

I’m kinda wondering about the King and I pants.

Posted November 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm |

Re: 18^^ Sondra

some things just make me cringe and I avoid them like mushrooms in my food. XP

Well, I go to some expense to keep fungus off my feet, why would I put it in my mouth?

23. Ritchie
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm |

Good God! This song and video is shit! 99% of music videos suck anyway. But, this one takes the cake for stupid. I weep for the future of music.

24. Steve Skubinna
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 8:55 am |

Ritchie, I suspect that you are taking this far more seriously than anyone else, including the guy who did the video.

25. Merovign
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 10:58 am |

I feel so old.

I didn’t even like the Lo Pan Style thing, as a big fan of BTLC. I admit the dancing was highly skilled.

The funny thing is I used to listen to K-pop. I didn’t really hear anything special about this music. At best I’d call it “slightly catchy.”

I admire the marketing angle, though.

And, dead seriously, I have GOT to go to India or South Korea – their heroes all seem to be pudgy middle-agers, I’d be a GOD there. :D

26. Posted November 26, 2012 at 11:08 am |

Did anyone stop to wonder just what the lyrics to this “song” mean? Something like “Stupid ‘Mericans will dance along to anything!” Sorta like those Oriental-like tats so many idiots are sporting.

Posted November 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm |

Listen to the lyrics????? huh??? are we suppose to do that??? We can’t understand them 3/4th of the time. I tho’t all we do is dance along to anything.

28. Steve Skubinna
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm |

The lyrics are about the Gangnam District of Seoul, which is a high priced boutique area. It’s mostly a satiric put-down of the perceived materialistic culture of the area and those who hang out there. Think of Rodeo Drive, maybe. Or go back a couple decades to Zappa’s Valley Girl.