Rumsfeld update: no news is no news

4 panic stricken daze/$300 later we have no conclusion on what has caused his seizures.
We know through extensive blood and urine testing and a basic comprehensive neuro exam that he’s in “perfect health” otherwise. The only questionable result was that his urine was a bit diluted but because all other signs are normal, we believe it’s because I add water to his breakfast and the sample was taken from when he peed on the floor at the vet because he couldn’t hold it. I’ll be getting a sample tomorrow morning first thing before breakfast and dropping it off for a double check…

My vet spoke with a Pfizer representative on Saturday about the vaccination angle and he said they just don’t have any record of this type of reaction based on the time frame of them vs when he started these episodes. I personally think it’s too much of a coincidence and my vet’s waiting for a call back from their veterinarian ( why does this crap always happen on a Saturday midnight in the middle of nowhere or a holiday week end??? ).

At this point we are just waiting for it to never happen again……but I have a few syringes of liquid Valium in case it does and he doesn’t snap out of it as quickly as he has. If he does have another episode we’ll consult with a neuro specialist for more in depth testing. I’m planning on that never taking place.

Thanks so much for your good thoughts and prayers as well as your ideas and input. I don’t handle these things well and as always, you all being there with me in your thoughts is a great comfort.

1. kinlaw
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 9:52 am |

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:13 am |

I know you well enough to know that you are so tenderly sympathic that you would willingly, if it were possible, take the pain of all those you know (peeps + animals—even JR!…) if it would make their pains go away! I remember years ago when Smurfy & Rumsfeld got into a hassle in the kitchen and you leaped in and bravely pulled them apart. Moments later I said, “We shoulda never let them watch *The Expendables” last night!* You spit out a whole mouthful of coffee trying to suppress the laughter……………

Your heart is too big for your own good, sweetie pie! And The Porch knows it….

3. RetRsvMike
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:21 am |

check his ear canals for schmutz… use one of the “doggie ear schmutz dissolver” products on him, and give it a good squeegie-ing out with Q-Tips and a clean rag….

can’t guarantee results, but it certainly helped the case with my own mutt. he hasn’t had a single episode of the twitchies since we started doing that regularly.

4. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:36 am |

I’ll bet ya Mitt’s $10,000 [or a hypo-allergenic dog cookie] that the Pfizer rep will be “puzzled and never heard of such a thing.”

Like they’re gonna open themselves up to lawsuits from a gajillion dog owners?

I still thing a coupla conversations with Corgi breeders / Corgi Clubs might be in order. Try emailing the Queen’s breeder and asking if they do lepto in their country and what was the result. Couldn’t hurt, oi?

5. MCPO
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:41 am |

I’m hoping he feels better in no time.

6. MikeG
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:47 am |

Let’s be clear, the liquid valium is for Rummy, right? I hope whatever it was has run it’s course.

7. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:49 am |

^ It is unless I squirt it up my own butt :)

( *I* have Zanax and can swallow in my distress :)

8. Jess
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:25 am |

Genetics may be the culprit. If so, you have to be the brave human and help during a crises. It hurts and is horrifying to watch.

God bless you for caring.

9. Lurch
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:37 am |

SondraK,
    Make sure he isn’t chewing on plants inside or outside. Fertilizer and or certain plants can do some strange things and can leave his system relatively quickly. (sure the vet told you but just in case)

10. mojo
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:37 am |

Tonic? Muscles tight bad quivering?

11. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:49 am |

Lurch…was my first thought the first time it happened…mushrooms are major around these parts. At The Asylum there’s generally 38875 piles of goose poop on the grass and little colonies of shrooms that accumulate in between visits and I anal retentively scoop them all up first thing and spend much of my time during visits looking down and around for any we may have missed. Of course there was a chance albeit slim but the pooches don’t seem to be interested in the shrooms as much as they love the poop and they’re never outside there unattended ( no fence yet/coyotes/deer to chase etc ) and being the helicopter mama I am I keep constant watch. Here at home I do the same thing… we also have an organic garden and plant nothing poisonous or troublesome for them. research after the first episode pointed toward one of theose pine tree air fresheners that I’d opened up and hung on the perpetual Christmas tree I set up at The Asylum. LOTS of stuff on that and Pine Sol etc ( we’re pretty anal about not using toxic cleansers too )…..

But the last bout of episodes were here at home so any location connection went out the conclusion window…

12. Max
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm |

Don’t you read the fine print? It’s right there in the contract.

In any case, it’s not related to toxins. I’m not a vet, but I’ve worked with thousands of animals over forty years, and what you get with plant ingestion is vomiting (sometimes) kidney/liver effects, and sometimes other issues – but not, as a rule, seizures.

You really wanna run up the bills, then have your critter sedated and scanned (you guaranteed such services when you installed the flashing neon sign on your roof that offers “free food and veterinary care”). Bet you cash money they find a tumor either on the upper spine or brain itself. Sorry, but that’s where most seizures originate. Best of luck to you all!

13. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm |

Tell Rummy I’m pullin’ for ‘im.

Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm |

Lots more no news to youze on this front.

I nearly spewed my egg nog on the valium comment. XD

15. Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm |

I’m not a big believer in coincidence and am pretty suspicious that this is a reaction to the vaccine. A rabies shot killed our dog and here’s why…

The standard rabies vaccine is good for three years, but many municipalities insist on a fresh shot every year. That means the dog’s second shot has him up to 5 times the necessary level for protection. The next year, 7 times more. Keep this up long enough and the dog’s immune system freaks out and goes on an auto-immune binge destroying the internal organs.

Our sheltie was 100% healthy until he got the shot; dead two or three miserable days (and over $1000) later.

Good luck – and keep us updated!

Posted November 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

I’ll go with the vaccination———–I’m sure dogs/animals can be sensitive to meds the same a humans. I for one and our youngest could not tolerate them. Dr’s don’t like when you tell them that— than again??– There is a reason and the way to find out what it is is by the process of elimination. Too many theories could throw you off. Do a history–time of day , when he had the first one–were there any warnings, what was happening b/4 he had them– now that you think back— how long it lasted– what it was like– how he was when he came out of it–there might be even a small common thread in there somewhere that would be a clue. Or not likely but it could be an anomaly–

17. SteveHGraham
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm |

If it was Smurphy, my guess would be bath salts.

18. apotheosis
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

I betcha he’s right as rain. Like I said, my sister’s derg did somethin similar a couple of months back and nothin’ ever came of it. Likewise, after I told this story to the wife and she relayed it to a friend at work, said friend mentioned that her corgi’s done the same thing a coupla times, vet couldn’t narrow it down to anything but an effect of age. In both cases they’re just fine.

Be of good cheer and if all else fails, give him bacon. There’s not much wrong with a dog that that bacon can’t cure.

19. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm |

Steve….OWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes.

So the vaccines…
    I titer test every two years and only get what they could possibly get even then. Except for the fucking rabies…because it’s the law. On that, I always “forget” for awhile when he’s due( Rumsfeld was almost 4 years out this time )…

Next time, I’m going to rely on the titter and a letter of titer that says he’s covered. Apparently that satisfies the law but won’t satisfy in a lawsuit if he bites someone…but not sure if that’s if they get rabies or means I’d have to pay for the human follow up or not. More investigating on that.

The lepto was a decision I made with my vet. She’s the one who worked with me and my Odin with the cancer stuff and is totally into alternative meds etc… but because of the amount of time spent at The Asylum and what with all the wildlife every where ( and how easily it’s transmitted to humans from their dog ) we decided it was a good move. I noticed NOTHING from either dog after the lepto “series” but like I said, the first episode happened 2 weeks after the 2nd lepto and 3 days after the rabies.

Yea, it’s the fucking vaccine…..

20. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm |

Hay Doug…the pic is worong. With Rumsfeld the drag marks are OUT of the ocean.

21. rickn8or
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm |

Good thoughts your way for you and Rummie. Also JR and Smurphy.

Hope it’s a one-time deal and over and done with.

Find it hard to believe either of your dogs would bite anyone.

22. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm |

Missy (20)
    Okay, let me rephrase that:
    Tell Rummy I’m pullin’ for ‘im.

23. PunkyD
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 7:03 pm |

Sondra, I’m so sorry about Rumsfeld. I have to go with the vaccines too. Becuz my daughter is severely disabled, I’ve dealt with other moms with kids, like mine. A few have experienced devastating reactions with their kids and vaccines. After being vaccinated, some kids experienced seizures within hours. Others within a week to a month. Some have outgrown it, others continue to have seizures. I do believe that vaccinations can have horrible reactions in humans or our pets. I think if a child or pet has a compromised immune system or a neurological disorder, vaccines can cause havoc for them. My daughter had her yearly shots at nine months. That week she had a grand mal (convulsion) seizure. I feel for you Sondra. I know what it is to constantly walk on egg shells in fear of seeing another one of those son of a bitches. I hate epilepsy with a passion. Hang in there. Hopefully Rummy will be fine and nothing more will happen! Keeping you and Rummy in my prayers.

24. OC
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 7:59 am |

Did you consider epileptic symptoms? I had a lab that started having seizures at age 4. I was able to minimize them by giving her phenobarb. There’s no cure, just trying to minimize the number of ‘em.

OC

25. SteveHGraham
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 8:34 am |

In the old days, you bought a dog, fed it, gave it a rabies shot and heartworm pills, and everything was fine. Seems like it’s getting harder and harder to keep them healthy.

26. Bruce
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 10:53 am |

My Lab/Husky cross has had 3 unexplainable episodes where she becomes incredibly lethargic and her eyes look as if she can’t keep them open.

One of them I was sure was one day we used the self cleaning over and their was a lot of smoke.

The other episodes may have been smoke/oven related.

She is 13 years and 10 months and still with us.

27. LLoyd
    Posted November 26, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

I’m 2 months now Sondra nursing my little thin Khet. She’s about 9y/o and as sick as I am its a full time job getting her to eat and do the meds I have to give her 2x daily. It would be really great if your cat would say :Just give me some cold water, I’ll take them.” She is so weak and thin. Vet that came by in October said she had hbp and overactive thyroid.

I’m am weak and worn down myself but we love our little ‘kids’ and would do almost anything for them. I sure am praying for you both and that he will be OK. What a good looking cutie he is.