there’s a word for this

art:

Old-school ’70s punk shock tactics are so widespread in today’s art world that they have lost any resonance. As a result, twee paintings like Gainsborough’s Blue Boy and Constable’s Hay Wain now appear mesmerizing, mysterious, and wildly transgressive. And, as Camille Paglia brilliantly argues in her must-read new book, Glittering Images, this torrent of penises, elephant dung, and smut has not served the broader interests of art. By providing fuel for the Rush Limbaugh-ish prejudice that the art world is full of people who are shoving yams up their bums and doing horrid things to the Virgin Mary, art has, quoting Camille again, “allowed itself to be defined in the public eye as an arrogant, insular fraternity with frivolous tastes and debased standards.” As a result, the funding of school and civic arts programs has screeched to a halt and “American schoolchildren are paying the price for the art world’s delusional sense of entitlement.” Thanks a bunch, Karen Finley, Chris Ofili, Andres Serrano, Damien Hirst, and the rest of you naughty pranksters!

not art:

Obama in pee pee

Finish your assignment! »

1. Posted November 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm |

You had me at “torrent of penises”.

2. Posted November 29, 2012 at 7:02 pm |

Completely OT: but I just had to throw this one in there so my life isn’t totally for naught today.

Photobucket

Posted November 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm |

He’s all pe pee’d off. (on) (in) what evah!!

4. JoeBannedMember&#8482
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm |

He just needs a pair of Depends.

5. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm |

They always get so wee wee’d up…

6. JoeBannedMember™
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm |

And I need an HTML proof reader…

7. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm |

Nah,
    that’s not art.
    Now, this is art …

that should be peed upon.

Besides, there’s always number two.

8. iD
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm |

I went looking for the old car commercial that used “Me and My Arrow”, but instead found this.

9. Merovign
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm |

I’m sorry, is Limbaugh an art critic? How did he get in that article?

OH, it’s a disclaimer, basically telling the audience he’s still a leftist, so DON’T PANIC!

Man, I’m so sick of that shit. I got no room for it anymore.

10. PeggyU
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm |

So, not Obama in wee-wee?

11. Posted November 29, 2012 at 10:28 pm |

Peggy, you’re so full of crap. That art could have been brilliant if it were only entitled, “Barack Obama: All Wee-Weed Up”.

12. Jess
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 4:11 am |

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, the best art would be photographs of politicians, bureaucrats, liberals and most of the media being sucked into a giant tornado.

As far as funding such things, I’m okay with that, after all government is cut by two thirds and we stop giving money away to foreign countries.

Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:16 am |

The art that I appreciate,and am good at, is virtually unknown to people: Dogfighting!

14. Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:58 am |

I’ve gotta say though, that from their side of the isle, Camile Paglia is hands down my favorite liberal. Lord knows I disagree with her most of the time, but at least she’s an independent thinker.

That’s not to say I can LISTEN to her. The woman sounds like a hummingbird that just flew through a cloud of coke.

All that said, this latest Beckism adds yet one more item to the “Nosir, I just don’t trust ‘im. Not not matter how far I could or couldn’t toss him.” They’re going to find a freezer of boiled body parts in this garage one day. It’s a shame, as I agree with him most of the time. But I swear, if my Mother (a devotee) says “Agenda 21″ one more time I’m going to drop her with a straight right as a public service.

Or maybe I shouldn’t have had QUITE so much tequila before my last day of work.

15. apotheosis
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:59 am |

While that article is great, the best part is the predictably outraged butthurt of the precious artistes in the comments.

Yes, your tears, mmmm, they’re so delicious…

16. Thunderbottom
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 7:00 am |

#13, Col. Jerry: I think, sir, as a retired fighter pilot, you’re either referring to air-to-air combat or to the contest, where servicemen would wager amongst themselves as to who could pick up the ugliest woman. As a senior chief petty officer once told me, “I never went to bed with an ugly woman, but I sure woke up with quite a few!”

Posted November 30, 2012 at 7:48 am |

^^thats funny #16^^ Sondra #5 that’s what I was referring to but forgot it was wee weed not pee peed — anyway— like the #2 reference that would be the haven’t been heard from since– VP. He must have started his well deserved vacation already. They’ve all crawled back in their holes while they check their pockets to see how the lining is doing. They know they’re going to need it.

18. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:09 am |

Not so much Obobo in wee-wee:
    more US in deep doo-doo.

Also, more class/social division between those with a prejudice against people who are shoving yams up their bums and doing horrid things to the Virgin Mary [what narrow-minded rednecks] and Teh Enlightened Tolerant Set who doesn’t mind the yam-shoving Mary-piddlers [but panikks at the sight of a Nativity scene].

19. mojo
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:30 am |

Not enough “artists” starve these days. It used to keep the numbers of the poseur hordes down.

20. PeggyU
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:52 am |

aka POTUS (President of the Urine Sample)

21. Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm |

I smell a NEA grant in the works …

22. Posted November 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm |

I dropped my Mom with a straight right-kick to the chest years ago. I don’t see why this should be such a big deal. She had it coming I just delivered the message.

23. Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm |

BTW: She’s still fine, if somewhat dead. You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.