Rumsfeld’s seizures have escalated in frequency and trauma.
He’s been at the emergency hospital since last night at @ 8PM. He had a seizure at 5:30 pm, his first since the bouts on Thanksgiving, and another at @7:45 that was much more extreme and required the liquid Valium that my vet had given me last week. It was then we took him to the ER.
He had another one shortly after he was admitted and we have started him on IV Phenobarbital. We are keeping him there until later this afternoon…to make sure he’s stabilized and ready for us to take over.
I will speak with my vet Monday morning about getting him to the neuro specialist to see what he can determine. Until then we have at least started him on the Pheno regiment which is the first line of defense. We simply have to stop these seizures at this point. I spoke with his breeder this morning and there is no history. He said that Rumsfeld was of his last litters bred because one of his dogs did end up with bladder cancer and they just couldn’t continue on. I have no idea if this has any connect but will mention it to the vet on Monday just in case.
We are expecting that the Pheno will not be easy the first couple weeks. It takes a bit for the levels to stabilize and during that time things can be much more dramatic…and painful for US. Extreme behavioral changes can and most often do occur which is the most heartbreaking of all. I can handle the impending incontinence and other things such that we are to expect as the drug gets regulated in his system…but the personality changes will be pronounced particularly because he has such a huge one. We will give it a month. In the meantime, if it is determined to be some sort of tumor or cancer we will NOT put him through desperate measures that will only prolong a lessened quality of life and put us all through such drama that in the end will leave us without the exuberance and love of life that he has.
For now we wait some more and deal…and somehow in the deepest part of my broken heart accept a new “normal” and the potential of an outcome that I have to be able to face…
We are having a pretty crappy time of it and are simply in an “in between” time, unable to do much more than wait and watch. I am not known for my patience with life and I don’t handle helplessness very well at all.
Rumsfeld is home and resting. Considering a day in the hospital after 3 seizures and 200mg of Phenobarbital in his system he’s doing pretty ok.
Gotta keep him a little quiet and start him on his pills tonight and still wait…
I can’t thank you all enough for all your thoughts, prayers and kind words. You’re my best friends and it is a comfort.
The vet my psychiatrist said to be normal ( I actually LOLed ) and relax a little ( he described it as making sure my oxygen mask is on FIRST or I’ll be no help to Rumsfeld ).
He made me feel better after we talked some more…
So now we’re just keeping an eye on him and hoping again never to have the experience of a seizure again ( wouldn’t THAT be swell…altho it’ll take me years to not walk on the look for it eggshells ) but if we do we hope to see them as just little “quirks” he has. Hey, you all love MINE, right?
And next time you see a girl wearing sunglasses in the pouring rain remember that maybe she’s had a loooooong month of stress and spent the last 24 hours or so crying and fretting her heart out and getting no sleep…