tonight’s KisPtips

Keep a few cotton balls in your emergency bag for tinder.

ThomasM’s strawberry santas for Claire

1. Dave
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm |

How many fit in a crock pot?

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm |

^ LOL@ emergency crockpot!

3. MikeG
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:15 pm |

I’m told drier lint works good as a fire starter as well. Not so much as strawberry filler.

4. apotheosis
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm |

Dryer lint is awesome as a firelighter, but careful with it if you wear a lot of synthetics. Fumes, y’know.

Or just keep a 9v battery and a bunch of steel wool around. No sparks required.

5. accipiter NW
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm |

I think if you have a small jar of Vaseline to coat the cotton balls with, they’ll burn like a small torch for a longer period of time.

6. Justin Credible
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm |

#5 accipiter NW, that waterproofs them, too.

Posted December 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm |

I’lll be dreaming of these guys marching about and into my mouth. . .nomnomnom

8. The Ugly American
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm |

Also great for snacking

9. Markshere2
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:17 am |

Chapstick on cotton balls for a torch effect is like vaseline, but more neater to carry around.

USAF Survival school trick

10. LostLiberty
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:36 am |

My lady friend made those little Santa treats for Thanksgiving. Way nomolicious!

11. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:33 am |

Beware iconoclasts!
    Either the anti-Santaists or the easily-offended-because-you-made-an-image-of-the-profit will getcha.

12. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:33 am |

OMG they’re amazing!!!!!!!!

where do I find good strawberries here in Dec??!?

13. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:35 am |

NTS: get tweezers to put on sesame seed eyes. Otherwise will have Japanese Santas…

14. accipiter NW
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 9:13 am |

That’s right Justin Credible.
    Markshere2, great program. I learned about the cotton and Vaseline in a youtube “related video” a while back after checking out those alcohol stoves people have made from aluminum pop or beer cans.

Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:50 am |

Flints, steel striker and tinder(…which has infinite sources…) and you can make fire! […Don`t hurt none to have a pocket full of Bics——–neither….. One of the 3 survival schools I attended taught us that just collecting *belly button lint* makes plenty good tinder (…as long as I don`t have to collect it….)

A tip that I used to make fire starting easier for my major home survival package that is cheap and creates a TON of firestarting *tinder*, if you will is:

Bought a single firelog at the grocery store. Using a saw, hatchet and knife I cut the firelog into a HUGE pile of *1 INCH CUBES*. Packaged them up in a dozen or so waterproof plastic bags which I covered their seals w duct tape to keep air and moisture out.

A single match, a single flick of the BIC, or lighted tinder fm flint & striker will light one of these cubes and they will burn long enough and hot enough to cause even damp kindling to dry out and produce flames for the larger firewood you have collected!!!!!!!

For about $1.50 you can net about a 6 month supply of easy-peesy cubes for your survival cooking or stay warm fires in a primitive situation……..

Also, an easy way to start a fire in your home wood stove…….

Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm |

I’d get about 3 made and be eating strawberries in a bowl with cool whip. Maybe some little black eyes sprinkled on top.