Rejoinder

skooled

After Bob Costas hopped up on his phone book to make his little screed*, he experienced some …correction.

On Costas Tonight, [Charles] Barkley addresses broader issues. He says, “Especially in the black culture, it’s a crime culture. We, as black people, and I always say ‘we’, we won’t have respect, we don’t have respect for each other. We have more black men in prison than we do in college, and crime in our neighborhoods is running rampant. I know everybody reacts when something like the Belcher thing happens. But being black, this is something you deal with all the time, and it’s just sad. I’m a guy and I carry a gun.”

…he’s “carried a gun in my car, every day of my life since I was 21 or 22 — never had to use it.”

…”I feel a sense of peace when I have it with me, but it would take extreme circumstances for me to even touch it.”

…”I don’t get into the gun stuff. Some guys have guns who go hunting. Where do we stop (the gun control) at? I’m not a hunter, but we can’t say people can’t have guns. … Let’s not make this thing about guns. Let’s make this about mistreating women. That’s unacceptable.”

1. USMC2841
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:05 am |

I see a connection here. Maybe we should outlaw professional sports. I think the city of Cleveland already has.

2. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:18 am |

He’s gon git hate tweeted….

3. Steve Skubinna
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:18 am |

Why does the media give any air time to this racist Barkley to spread his filthy views?

What? He’s bla… no shit?

Well, fine, but my point still stands. I can’t wait to see Chris Mathews rip him a new one.

4. Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:55 am |

Sir Charles would squash Matthews like an ant.

5. Thunderbottom
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:58 am |

#3, Steve Skubinna: Never mind Chrissy Matthews; I’m more interested in the reactions of MSNBC “commentators of color”: Al Sharpton, Toure’, and Melissa Harris-Perry (whom I’m convinced is a good-looking, self-hatin’ white woman dipped in caramel). And, has Jason Whitlock responded?

6. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm |

^ I, too, am awaiting breathlessly Toure’s response. THEN I’ll decide how racist Barkley REALLY is.

7. Freddie Sykes
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm |

I saw a statistic a few years back: half of the victims of murder in the USA were black and 90% of them were killed by other blacks. We could cut the murder rate almost in half if blacks would just stop killing blacks.

8. Bruce
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm |

“In 2005, offending rates for blacks were more than 7 times higher than the rates for whites”

I don’t understand why Bob Costas wasn’t honest. He could have said:

“Black people should not be allowed to own guns”.

9. apotheosis
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm |

Bruce, maybe Costas wasn’t being dishonest.

Maybe the problem is, he doesn’t consider black people people.

BOB COSTAS IS A KLAN DRAGON.

10. Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm |

Bob should stop and think a minute: what kind of gun was it the DA claimed OJ Simpson used? Oh, that’s right — he used a knife. Unstable people will use whatever is available.

BTW, Costas is an ass. I’m not sure why anything he says would be considered important.

11. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm |

LOL@Apotheosis!!!!!!!

Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:28 pm |

Had this in the link pile for a while. [blows off dust]

13. JoeBandMember™
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm |

Can’t they just blame Bush?

Or maybe Robert Zimmerman?

14. RonF
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 2:43 am |

Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking Charles Barkley is a clown. Certainly he does a clown act, but Charles knows he’s an entertainer and that’s his gig. But he’s no clown, personally.

The last NBA he ever played he grabbed the P.A. microphone and addressed the crowd. He thanked them and basketball for the good things in his life. He said that he owed everything he had to basketball and that basketball didn’t owe him a thing. Somehow I can’t imagine a lot of the NBA “stars” of today saying such a thing.

15. SteveHGraham
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:18 am |

Barkley got his dillies on the peppa tane.

16. Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:42 am |

Bob Costas is just showing classic signs of psychological Projection.

He doesn’t trust himself with a set of full rights, so he wants to take them from others.

17. JimB
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm |

What makes you think Barkley is a racist. He’s just speaking what he feels is truth. I didn’t seee anything that could be viewed as racist in his comments…