Shall I Pannikk Yet?

success is all in the timing…

Ahead of December 21, which marks the conclusion of the 5,125-year “Long Count” Mayan calendar, panic buying of candles and essentials has been reported in China and Russia, along with an explosion in sales of survival shelters in America. In France believers were preparing to converge on a mountain where they believe aliens will rescue them.

…According to New Age lore [the flat topped mount Pic de Bugarach In the French Pyrenees] is an “alien garage” where extraterrestrials are waiting to abandon Earth, taking a lucky few humans with them.

Wonder if there will be an alien garage sale before they move on?

Meanwhile in Mexico, where the ancient Mayan civilisation flourished, the end time has been seen as an opportunity. The country has organised hundreds of Maya-themed events, and tourism is expected to have doubled this year.

1. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 7:37 am |

The American calendar predicted this Tuesday, November 4, 2008.

Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:00 am |

Or be like the cult member who was found under the sink , hiding behind the Comet.

Something must be happening— gas is under $3 all over town.
    Is everybody in their shelters or just not driving because they can’t afford it??

3. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:10 am |

I need an air popcorn popper for The Asylum…

4. mojo
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:20 am |

Y’know, a “long count” boundary does seem a logical place to end a calendar, doesn’t it? I can hear the Maya priest/astronomers now: “Hey, when we get there, we’ll make another calendar.”

Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:24 am |

Bet you can get one real cheap, if you pass the word that after 21 December, there ain`t gonna be any more *air*; worth a try…….

6. JoeBandMember™
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:34 am |

The Democrats, not the Mayans, will bring on the end of the age.

7. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:43 am |

So,
    we don’t need to worry about the fiscal cliff, then?

Now,
    let’s imagine how the French will treat their rescuers after a few years. You know, surly, dismissive, and full of contempt for the rich, arrogant, unsophisticated aliens.

8. Posted December 10, 2012 at 9:00 am |

The World is going to end on December 21st?

Good.

9. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 9:14 am |

I predict that Christmas shopping traffic will go ballistic on Dec 22.

10. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 10:18 am |

This is my theory, which is mine*:
    The Mayans did not predict the end of the World,
    they just got heavily into recycling and stone tablets were non-renewable.
    (What? Keep your shirt on. I’m comin’ to that.)
    As I was a-sayin’, they got heavily into recycling, so the plan was to use the same calendars but they’d count backward this time. They could then re-use the stone tablets forever!
    (What? Well, yeah, or they could start back at the beginning and keep a log of which cycle they were on. You know, add another digit on the left side of the ol’ odometer. Hey, it was a good plan until the Conquistadors showed up.)

* You all know the Monty Python cultural ref, so I don’t need to add the link.

Posted December 10, 2012 at 10:58 am |

whoopy— I’m going to move to Mexico along with all the Mexicans who came here are doing.

12. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm |

^ Careful,
    Mexico doesn’t treat illegal aliens kindly.

13. Alan outback bacon czar
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm |

I’ve been hoping that the Mayans were right.

Posted December 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm |

They will be———-if————-they join the EU! {…or mistake Lone Pine, CA. for San Francisco an go nekkid……}

15. Lance
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm |

Would one o’ you extra schmart PM’s pleeez tell my how a ‘shelter’
    & candles are gonna protect someone, if another planet or asteroid
    or comet, etc crashes into the earth & destroys it!

To me, the only reliable guide to this event is the Las Vegas
    ‘bookies’. Ennybuddy know what the odds are at this time?