Why I strongly believe in freedom of religion.

Because, were it otherwise, I as a small-a atheist (without belief, not anti-belief) would be chasing my severed head or blowing away from the stake in ashes or even hanging from a cross.
Look, it’s no skin off’n my nose if somebody thinks I’m goin’t to Hell or sumpthin’, as long as they’re not greasin’ the skids, if you know what I mean.

Atheist activists frequently tout their intense belief that they are discriminated against, mistreated and persecuted. Now, a new study from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) may corroborate these claims, as it finds that it is not uncommon for secularists to face intense scrutiny — even execution — in nations across the globe.

In Islamic countries, the alleged discrimination is most pronounced and in seven nations atheists may actually pay for their secularism with their lives. Reuters has more about some of the purported discriminatory policies that are waged against non-belief … [more]

No, I don’t for a minute swallow this report without skepticism.

It is important to note that the IHEU is a secular hub for more than 120 atheist, agnostic, humanist and other related organizations in 40 countries. Considering the group’s scope — to advance the cause of non-belief — there is clearly a bias in the preparation and publication of the report. However, many of the findings are compelling.

Their anti-secularism sees sectarian favoritism in the same light as anti-atheism. I don’t.
I see intolerant anti-atheism in the same light as anti-Christianism, anti-Judaism, etc.
Sectarian favoritism is merely a natural state of mixed societies.
The goal of religious freedom is to assure that this natural favoritism is tolerant.

Atheist activists (Atheivists™), generally, give personal atheism a bad name. They are not pro-freedom-of-religion, they are anti-religion. Well, more accurately, they oppose any religion that interferes with worship of the state.
You know, jackasses.

Then again, it’s good to know that somebody with left-wing cred is making an issue of theocratic totalitarianism.
Too bad it won’t advance the cause of real religious freedom, though.

Let’s hope (okay, pray) that there’ll be some kind of Islamic Reformation this century, and that Islam evolves into a personal religion in states with tolerant religious favoritism rather than just another ugly form of state totalitarianism.
(What? Yeah, I know. *sigh*)

Update BTF: »

1. Joe
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm |

Until the activists in the atheist ranks take their hate campaign up a notch or two and take on the muzzies, I remain unimpressed. It’s pretty easy to pick on religions that gave up the sword a couple of centuries ago.

2. RonF
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

I have heard advanced by atheists that “Freedom of Religion” necessarily = “Freedom from Religion” – that freedom of religion means that religion must be purged from the public sphere. Thus, a manger scene in a public square must be eliminated even if the local government permits all other religious groups, and even the atheists, to put displays up.

3. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm |

^ Yep,
    jackasses.

4. JoeBandMember™
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm |

The only religion they want freedom from is Christianity.

5. Merovign
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm |

I’m not in favor of anyone being abused like that.

But I must note that there are probably not as many atheists in total as there have been religious people slaughtered by atheists (From Revolutionary France to the Soviets to China and North Korea and all the other branches of Rousseau’s Really Bad Idea).

So, this is not an “atheist problem,” it’s very much a “human problem.”

6. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm |

^ Yeah, you’re right; the French Revolution’s “Terror” slaughtered more than ten times as many as French “Catholics” slaughtered witches and Huguenots, and state-worshipping Communists slaughtered a hundred times more than the French revolutionaries did.

Well, I don’t give a flying fig about the numbers. One death is 100% casualties to that dead individual. Murderous tyranny by people without any doubt or skepticism in their ideology is still just murderous tyranny, and it’s a mortal threat to everyone, everywhere, always.

That’s why statists, collectivists, Progs, and other totalitarian, state-worshipping jackasses fall in the same categorical swamp as modern Islamist monsters — threats to every freedom-loving individual. They will kill and slaughter and bring the house down around themselves, because they are sure. Even rubbing their noses in fact and history and truth and logic won’t convince them that your death and the ruin of civilization isn’t somehow justified for some “greater good.”
    (What? Yeah, Satanic. Good word.)

Note: I put “Catholics” in irony quotes, because I do not for a minute equate that olde-tyme church with modern Catholicism. The Treaty of Nantes put an end to that particular horror, and the church has grown out of its repressive ways in the centuries since The Reformation. That’s kind’a what I hope happens to Islam. They need to drop the self-serving state totalitarianism and concentrate on serving the individual’s spiritual needs. I doubt if any deity worthy of worship would want you slaughtering his children in his name, even if they were naughty. (What? Yeah, there’s that “doubt” thing, again.)

7. MikeG
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm |

Dammit Doug! Now that you have gone and claimed atheism, I feel obligated to add you to my prayers list. I guess I can squeeze you in between the pony and getting the winning Powerball ticket.

Great thing about praying for atheists is that since they don’t believe in your prayers, they got no right to act offended. If something happens to change their minds they have to act all greatful. It’s a win-win for me!

8. DougM (Well, thaaat sucked!)
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm |

^ Yep, but I’ve made that clear since Missy first let me play in her sandbox, here.
    Have at it. I don’t see any downside, ‘less’n ol’ God gets irritated by folks suggestin’ that He may not know what He’s doin’. ;)
    And thanks.

9. Posted December 11, 2012 at 12:37 am |

^ Jesus still has a sense of humor. God is the grumpy one.

Posted December 11, 2012 at 6:20 am |

The last *living god* was in my lifetime and it was that Nip guy called Hirohito. He came within an RCH of payin the “ultimate”, but ole “The Buck Stops here” Truman, cut him some slack….

11. Blue Max
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 8:44 am |

I have a slightly off-tangent comment, but this discussion reminds me of my favorite bit of graffiti that I saw over 30 years ago in a bathroom stall at a Catholic university:

God is dead – Nietzsche

and then below it in a different handwriting:

Nietzsche is dead – GOD

Nowadays I see that this bit of wisdom is on t-shirts and posters.

12. MikeG
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 8:55 am |

(9)

When I used to run with the ambulance crowd as an EMT, we would get a call once and a while that me called a TMJ. It was a call for medical help at a church service. Though we had to be careful not to offend anyone who might hear us refer to the call, “Too Much Jesus.”

I agree, Hog. I think even the Baby Jesus smiles at stuff like that. If I am wrong, I’m sure it will be pointed out to me in the handbook when I get to heaven.

13. mojo
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 9:17 am |

Pushy atheists are annoying, granted. But I usually don’t shoot the dumb fucks unless they get physical first. I got enough aggro, y’know?

14. PatrickP
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 11:16 am |

We begin public meetings with an invocation and I find it offensive. I do not need to be led in public supplication to God by a minister of a church to which I do not belong or worse, by an elected or appointed politician. The imposition is a violation of my right to worship in a manner and location of my choosing. The weak faith I have is hard won and I would never demean it by parading it at a public hearing. I stand with my hands at my side and do not “bow my head” as instructed.

15. JoeBandMember™
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm |

I make no apologies for my faith in Christ as the son of God, who came to die for all, even the atheists.

That being said, I also believe the biggest danger to this country is in those who would stifle freedom of speech, and freedom to freely exercise a person’s religion. That, however, does not include blowing stuff up and abusing women a la Islam.

I’m JoeBandMember™ and I make no apologies.