It’s that time of the year

wonderful smells from the kitchen!

Starting in on the Christmas Cookies!

Tried the Bourbon Balls for the first time yesterday — on request, I might add. Was worried starting with ‘Nilla Wafers [*yiich*] but they seem to have turned out pretty good. Anyone have another variation I might try?

Also tried a little thing described as the real “Sugarplums” which is nuts and dried fruit chopped very finely and stuck together with some OJ or some Grand Marnier. meh… maybe they’ll get better as they age. I *could* make a batch with just cherries and pecans, which I think would be better than the mix of several fruits…

I tried Rugelach. Yowzah! I thought they needed some tweaking, but they disappeared like the wind. So I think I’ll give them some more work!

Then on to the variations of the classic chocolate chip dough recipe; with chocolate chips, and with pecans, and with cherries and with any and all combinations of the above. Also gonna try a variation with pecans and candied ginger.

Also gonna make Dad’s favorites: pecan crescents. Recipe from his Mom.

What’s your favoritest Christmas Cookie evar?
[recipes always welcome *bats eyelashes*]

1. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 8:53 am |

“Sugarplums” BLECH! Nothing but home made Aplets and Cotlets.
    *retches*

2. Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:02 am |

Phew…. off the School Shootings, a quiet “thanks”.

Now to the heart of the matter. Onliest thing I miss about my second ex-wife:

Buckeyes! Merry Christmas everyones.

Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:30 am |

Oh, yummmmm.

Yesterday I tried a new cookie recipe and was very disappointed. Then got out my non-contact infra red thermometer. It wasn’t the cookies, my oven was 50 degrees off the setting.

That also explains the crispy brown parchment.

Doing caramels again, too.

I miss snickerdoodles, And my Grandma’s cookies of all kinds.

4. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:42 am |

LEMON Pizzelles!!!!!!!

But you need to get a fancy schmanzy Pizzelle maker for your birthday :)

Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:52 am |

mMmmmmm, can you text me a couple?

(I don’t have a fax machine)

6. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:18 am |

Chewy chocolate-chip cookies with red & green MMs.
    It’s the only time that classic C4s should be tampered with.
    [crosses arms petulantly]

Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:52 am |

I’m at the lots a usta’s stage in life. We count on the generosity of the doers now. Claire you mentioned pecan crescents– out of all you’ve mentioned they are my favorite.

8. Claire
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:54 am |

Oh. I never mess with C4s!

But the batter is so good I use it for other good cookies…

9. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm |

^ Yeah, I guess you could cook some of the dough, too.
    (Which is why I don’t buy C3 dough in the store. It never makes it home.)

10. OTA Mom
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm |

Starbucks imitation “cranberry bliss” bars (recipe by Mr. Food)–huge hit at yesterday’s office party. Also popular were the citrus bars (recipe by Kayotic Kitchen, only next time I will increase the amount of custard x1.5 and also experiment with grapefruit), but the “Muddy River Mocha” bars (recipe by Taste of America) as well as the Pioneer Woman’s blueberry lemon sweet rolls (her recipes are SO overhyped) were colossal failures (marshmallow ran all over creation and way too much topping on the former, a soggy mess on the latter)–and I’m not gonna take all the credit. Working on the line-up for the next party on Thursday. :)

11. Posted December 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm |

Traditional Sugar Plums –

They’re not supposed to be too sweet. That’s a modern concoction.

Shortbread and lemon curd –

You can make the lemon curd as far in advance as you want, so long as you can it once you make it.

Those two recipes right there make me giggle like a schoolgirl.

12. TimO
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm |

I’ve been making batches of these Dark Brown Sugar cookies and people are just going nuts over them:

13. Hopefulone
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm |

I’m on a see-food diet, so I will eat any cookie I see. I might have a preference for snickerdoodles.

14. Posted December 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm |

“Mom’s” Sugar Cookies (not my mom, a friend’s)

Secret ingredient – sour cream. Refrigerate over night. Bake in a low over until ‘just’ done. Butter, vanilla, powdered sugar & splash of half and half as icing.

Chocolate covered peanut butter balls.

This year, pumpkin pie and weapons-grade fudge topped brownies. (Dark chocolate brownies from scratch. 1 can sweetened, condensed milk, 1 bag choc chips. Heat milk, melt chips, stir until mixed. Pour over the warm brownies, then see if you can wait until they cool to try them!)

And home-made brandied vanilla ice cream from the Ice Cream Happy Hour book.

15. bocopro
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm |

My elder daughter, a 49-yr-old bipolar flibbertigibbet, and her sister, an asthmatic 48-yr-old pretend drill instructor, made some cookies one year that shoulda been enshrined in the Paula Dean Hall of Fame.

One was a choc-chip dough but with strips of homemade fudge instead of the drops. The counterpart to that was the same dough, but two layers sandwiching divinity.

The other cookie was some kind of layer deal — 7, I think — with fudge, hickory nuts, marshmallow, and some kind of jellied green stuff as the fillers.

Never did bother to ask the recipe or procedure. I was told some kind of Spanish name, which I can’t remember. They make somethin different each time they come here on the Christmas break, usually unusual brownies and experimental fudge.

My mother was an absolutely terrible cook, and when I first met my wife it was clear that she believed stoves came with only two settings: OFF and BLAST. I was much relieved to get Navy cooking for those few years while she went through her OJT period. My stuff was MUCH preferred to what she made, especially my pot roasts and Sunday morning breakfasts.

Over the years she became one of perhaps the 10 best cooks on 2 continents and the Hawaiian archipelago. My elder daughter seems to have inherited from my wife’s side of the relationship whereas my other girl got her paternal grandmother’s skill set.

16. mojo
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm |

Heh.

17. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm |

^ I hate alla yous.

mech, I’m thinkin’ wrong thread but maybe not?

( thread killah? :)

Posted December 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm |

^Since I don’t have a fax machine you can’t fax me a lemon pizelle. Maybe someone could email or text a cookie. . . .

i know, *groan*

Oh and #3 was my experience confectioneering yesterday. I have finished a batch of the Distinguished Gentleman’s Burnt Whiskey Caramel

Yes, I

Posted December 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm |

can be professionally obscure. Heh

carry on

20. PeggyU
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm |

We always make gingerbread men, with cinnamon candies and chocolate chips for buttons. They make the house smell like Christmas (so says the youngest).

21. Posted December 20, 2012 at 1:13 am |

I had no idea that C4 could also be used as a cookie dough. Why doesn’t anybody tell me these things?

I’m off to bake a batch right now…