so there’s that

Schools across the nation turning to…..guns….for protection………

Finish your assignment! »
What is this teaching our children?

1. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:22 am |

What if …
    signs at schools noting that firearms are forbidden were replaced
    with ones that cautioned that teachers and staff were armed?
    (What? No, not all of ‘em. Geeze, some of ‘em shouldn’t be trusted with erasers.)

If I were a principal, I’d request that CCH-quallified parents be organized into voluntary patrols of both schools and buses.
    (What? Yeah, back on the Safety Patrol again.)

Then, there’s this and this.

Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:41 am |

^Agreed.

It would be good to have the Eddie Eagle program in all the schools to introduce kiddos to safety and respect for firearms.

Then discounted or free training always available to the teachers who choose to carry. Maybe discounted ammo for practice, too.

Many articles discuss the comparisons between America, Israel and Switzerland where gun culture is concerned–there are some good things we can learn from both, but it would make the libtards heads explode. I mean, lets begin.

3. Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:05 am |

Elementary School in the late 50′s-60′s, we had Gun Safety Courses at the school.

High School, a fairly rough part of Tucson, our Dean of Students open carried.

Never a problem.

4. TheOldMan
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:07 am |

Just getting rid of the “Gun Free Zone” signs would be a big improvement.

5. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm |

‘course the same philosophy could do away with the TSA in a heartbeat. (I’m still waiting for someone with deep pockets and some serious clank to start up Second Amendment Airlines, offering 10% discounts/rebates to anyone with a concealed carry permit who travels with his sidearm.)

Another thought – if some libtard spouts off about how “gun free zones” are a good idea, just comment on how his face appears to be a
    “knuckle free zone” and then see how long it takes for the penny to drop.

6. SteveHGraham
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

Armed guards in every store selling cheap jewelry. No cops in elementary schools. Makes sense.

7. rickn8or
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm |

It would be teaching the kids and parents that Gun-Free Zones are an abysmally stupid idea. That all those years of jacking up Johnny because he drew an L-shaped object and Sally because she had a paring knife in her lunchbox were aiming at the wrong target.

And DougM, I’d gladly volunteer to clomp about the local elementary school for a couple of hours every day. No Junior or High School though; I’d be unable to restrain myself from uh, “counseling” smart-mouth punks. But considering what a complete Group Sex Scene the Federal Government turned the Armed Pilots Program into…

Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm |

Oh my God you can’t have teachers in the class room with guns strapped on their shoulders!!! Stupid cowboy gun loving Republicans!!!
    Do you think for one minuet President Obama/they care one big rats ass about gun control? What do you think they care most about?
    What is working? If they cared about what happened they would be talking about mental illness not gun control. But how would you pit the masses against each other with that topic? We’d all agree. While we go at each other (which won’t do any good) we pay no attention to what’s really happening and that is he/they are taking over this country. He doesn’t need to waste time and his operatives on anyone who has any intelligence– the bottom of the barrel is just fine for the people on the bottom of the barrel. We who know are falling for it hook line and sinker.

9. rickn8or
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm |

geezerette, what do you bet that taking anti-depressants will be the next big disqualifier for firearms ownership/CCW ?

10. The Ugly American
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 1:18 pm |

Remember in elementary school when the worst threat to our safety was the hot, black asphalt beneath the monkey bars?

Good times, good times…

Posted December 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm |

#9 Isn’t it already?

12. Posted December 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm |

Concealed carry gives nobody any warning — potential attackers (or my potential victims, if I’m of such a mind) — that I am equipped to kill them. Concealed carry is an offensive posture that may promote violence, and certainly does not deter violence until it’s already in progress.

I prefer open carry. It gives the goblins plenty of advance warning that any attempt to @#$% with me may very well be met with lethal force. Open carry is a defensive posture that discourages violence.

13. SondraK, Queen of my domain
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm |

rickn8or, I waiting for voluntary alcohol rehab and 1/2 pediatric does of Zanax to be a disqualifyer… I was concerned about this over 8 years ago.

You all know that under ObamaCare your medical records are government property, right?

14. rickn8or
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm |

HeadMissy, my medical records have been government property since 1972.

Karl, I prefer open carry myself. But it seems there’s always some Soccer Mommy that wants to yell “Call the po-leece! There’s a bay-ud may-un with a GU-UNN!” So I conceal-carry the baddest thing I can, and substitute a lot of situational awareness.

15. ZZMike
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm |

“What is this teaching our children?”

Ummm – finally, at last, how to treat and use firearms?

Karl Uppiano: It’s true that a CCW doesn’t tell anybody about your defense posture, but if enough people carried heat, the bad guys would have to take a big chance.

There’s a recent story: Two robbers came into a fast food/diner or such, armed, and started ordering staff into the back room. One of the patrons had a CCW permit. When one of the robbers pointed a gun at him, he fired and dropped the guy. No charges filed. The police chief said, “The best way to get shot is to point a gun at someone with a CC permit”. (That’s ktaking into account that not too many places encourage open carry.)

(Or at a policeman.)

Posted December 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm |

What TheOldMan said about the signs. And replace it with a ‘teachers are armed – free fire zone’ sign.

I noticed the school super in the article complained about “not enough access to mental health services…”
    Bullshit. The damned liberals just don’t want to knuckle down and lock up the certifiable crazies and as to treatment, well, there is plenty of access to mental health programs, just not ‘free’ access, meaning government meaning taxpayers, meaning I pay for ‘counseling’, detoxing, and therapy for your fucked up spawn that is fucked up in the head because you neglected him or brought him up by throwing money at the kid while you went off to the country club tennis court every afternoon instead of being there when he got home from school.
    I suspect there are more of those than the genuinely mentally ill via genetics or birth defects., IOW, mentally ill by nurture, not nature. I smell a big fat passive voice responsibility dodge coming on, along the lines of ‘mistakes were made’.

17. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm |

Karl (12)
    Gotta disagree.
    If a bad guy enters a place to do mayhem, who’s he gonna shoot first?
    Yeah, the obvious threats; so a bad guy starting by shooting the folks openly carrying is a no-brainer (prob’ly followed closely by guys with NRA hats, CCH vests, and fanny packs).

(What? Well, yeah, unlikely since they tend to shoot up places where people are certified unarmed.)

Oh, one other point: concealed means concealed.
    There are a number of places where firearms are prohibited by law or where it’s considered trespassing, but … well, I wouldn’t be caught dead there unarmed.
    Can’t be “realistic” carryin’ openly.

18. Posted December 22, 2012 at 6:57 am |

Y’all are quibbling. The best way to stop an active shooter is to actively shoot him.

I don’t know what Dawn Hochsprung felt about guns in schools on December 13th, but I bet she wished she had a shotgun on December 14th. The woman was a hero, but she was an unarmed hero.