post-election cliff

ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES

~ story ~

Just sayin’ …

Finish your assignment! »
Doubled my SHTF cache last month.
One needs enough personal ammo, of course, but so do those covering your flanks and rear.
Besides, one may need something to barter for a bacon fix someday.
(This has happened before, but stocks will recover … should recover.)

Note: I don’t keep a large inventory for my sporting pieces or CCH handguns; just a few-hundred cheap practice rounds and a box each of top-of-the-line personal-defense ammo (e.g. combat hollow-points). When you acquire a handgun, run a full magazine of that combat ammo through it to make sure it functions 100% reliably from every position in the mag stack (and to verify your point of aim), then load your primary and reload mags with it. After that, everything at the range is with cheap practice ammo. If you’re anal, you can fire the combat ammo annually and load up with fresh stuff, but that’s not really … well, okay, yeah, I do; and I replace the mag springs every few years; but that’s kind’a, you know … anal..

Here are some interesting and useful statistics and charts about firearms, crime, and violence.

1. Posted December 29, 2012 at 10:48 am |

I want to jump into a gigantic tub of bullets, and rub them all over my body. Is that so worong?

2. Posted December 29, 2012 at 11:00 am |

“Naked”. Sorry, I left-out the word “naked”. I usually include it. It always works better when you’re naked. Or ‘nekkid’, as the case may be.

So it should really read: “I wanted to jump ‘naked’ into a gigantic tub of bullets.” That’s where I went worng.

3. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 11:14 am |

^ Now there‘s a YouTube vid I’d like to …
    Oh, no, wait!

Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm |

Will universal registration/confiscation be the tipping point for the Silent Majority to hit the streets or go wolverine?
    It better be, or all will be lost.

5. kinlaw
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm |

Hog, as long as no liquids are involved, I think you are okay on that.

Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm |

I have a bunch of rounds and parts that I need to start trading for stuff I can use.

Anybody need UZI magazines?

7. MCPO
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm |

Time are tough when your shotgun is on backorder and you can’t get 3″ shells.

8. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 1:14 pm |

It’s times like this when that reloading gear and those thousands of empty cases don’t seem to be taking up too much garage storage space.
    (What? Yeah, should’a put a carton of primers on my Christmas list. Bullets? Hmm … Hang on, I’ll check the tub.)

9. Posted December 29, 2012 at 3:21 pm |

I want to jump into a gigantic, sexy, tub of bullets. Only with lube this time.

I’m not screwing around anymore. This is the third run over Ploesti. It’s either tonight, or goodnight.

10. Posted December 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm |

You have to admit that “This is the third run over Ploesti” sounds kinda sexy all by itself.

11. rickn8or
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm |

dick, not quite dead white guy, what I’m counting on is all these new gun owners looking at their sales recipts, hearing “registration/confiscation” and saying “Oh, HELL no!”

That and the newbys discovering all the places they can’t carry their handguns even with a permit, or all the hoops they have to jump through to get a permit in the first place, or “whaddaya mean I can’t get a permit?” etc.

Since I’m probably more paranoid than all y’all, I got my 7.62 x 39 when it was $90 a case to feed a $175 SKS…

I’ve been maintaining for a while that the new medium of exchange will soon be double-shot bottles of Jack Daniels, you take your change in .22LR.

12. kinlaw
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm |

Over Ploesti?

No, I don’t think I’ll ever get over Ploesti.

13. Fat Baxter
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm |

A couple of years ago, I chanced upon some cases of ammo from an estate sale. I bought a 1000-round case of .38 for under $150. Granted, 148 gr wadcutter ain’t necessarily a manstopper, but like Doug said, it’s great for practice. The “good stuff” in the speedloaders is 138 gr Gold Dot +P.

14. Fat Baxter
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm |

Plus, I am building up a cache of reloadable brass.

Posted December 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm |

Fat Baxter, My understanding is that wadcutters leave an exit wound like an orange. Stories I heard about kids thinking they were blanks since they were flat. .

They cut a crisp hole/channel instead of pushing through the soft bits, and as the already flat nose mushrooms, it pushes tissue ahead of it instead of to the sides.

But the factory target loads tend to be lower velocity.

16. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

rickn8or (11)
    Heck, I got my SKS for $85 back in the day.

kinlaw (12)
    *heh* Good Airplane! cultural ref.

Posted December 29, 2012 at 11:46 pm |

^^rickn8or (11) the new medium of exchange will soon be double-shot bottles of Jack Daniels,
    or 9 pellet double aught buck

18. Posted December 30, 2012 at 3:37 am |

Throw some cigarettes or some chawin’ tabacky in there and you got you an ATF Triple Play!

19. Steve Skubinna
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 5:16 am |

Damn it, I am overseas again and won’t be back home until end of March at the earliest. Which means I should get back in time either for prices to get back to a more reasonable level or experience a freak canoeing accident.

20. rickn8or
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 8:36 am |

DougM, yeah, I know. I got in on the tail end of the in-the-box Chinese ones and then switched over to the C&R SKS’s.

I am, however, revising my list of what firearms I’ll sell and when.

21. DougM (Progophobe)
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 9:01 am |

^ Yeah, I should’a bought a crate of ‘em for future barter,
    but I was still GI broke back then.
    (Note to BATFE snoop: I did not, though. That could be illegal, and I do firearms “by the book,” as you darned-well know, even when I disagree with “the book.”)

Posted December 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm |

When i was in grade school, my best buddy was David Matthews. His dad, a small farmer was a veteran of WWII in the Pacific. First time I stayed over a weekend w David, I noticed a very interesting screened in back porch off of the house kitchen. Mounted on the wall of that porch were: a Jap rifle, a Jap machine gun, a Jap pistol, a Jap “Knee mortar”, 2 Samurai swords 4 Jap hand grenades, a bayonet and a Jap helmet. I asked David how his dad got them home. He replied that his dad sent them home inside his dirty laundry bags!

Apparently, the Army had a deal where infantry soldiers could ship their laundry back to their homes in the USA and months later get their clean laundry back to where ever they were located. His Dad set up a deal where his wife would do the laundry for several of his buddies and he would load pieces of these weapons in all those laundry bags to avoid detection.

Years later, David told me his Dad made a shit load of money by selling all those Jap weapons…….

“Citizen soldiers”, you cain`t take your eyes off of em………

23. rickn8or
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm |

COL Jerry Sir! Does the phrase “sly and devious creatures that bear close watching at all times” ring a bell?

24. Posted December 31, 2012 at 11:59 am |

I always wondered how they did that. My Uncle Al had a full, working Thompson .45 that he managed to bring back with him. He was just an enlisted man, but he was very clever. Still is.