I’d buy that!

for more than $1

[Intel is making a] …set-top box, said by industry insiders to be available to a limited beta of customers in March, [which] will offer cable channels delivered “over the top” to televisions anywhere there is an Internet connection regardless of provider.

…For the first time, consumers will be able to subscribe to content per channel, unlike bundled cable services, and you may also be able to subscribe per show as well. Intel’s set-top box will also have access to Intel’s already existing app marketplace for apps, casual games, and video on demand. Leveraging the speed of current broadband, and the vast shared resources of the cloud, Intel plans to give customers the ability to use “Cloud DVR”, a feature intended to allow users to watch any past TV show at any time, without the need to record it ahead of time, pause live tv, and rewind shows in progress.

O’ course the “why it won’t work” argument against Intel includes the old “it’s cheaper when we make you buy it” meme.

Disney, for instance, charges TV distributors about $5 for every subscriber that gets ESPN. And, by some estimates, only about 25 percent of cable customers actually watch ESPN on a regular basis. So if you unbundled ESPN, the per-subscriber cost might shoot up to $20 or more, to account for the 75 percent drop in its customer base.

I would counter that with the savings from just three channels I don’t want, I could afford one that I do want. Add up all the stupid “shopping,” sports, religious, teen, “urban,” “women’s,” children’s, and The Loser Channel channels at $5 each, I could afford the Western channel, RFD 1 & 2, and several old Movie channels — with $$$ left over for snax!!

Go Intel!
[nothing too optimistic in their stock prices but overall DOW futures are up 200 points on "fiscal cliff" "resolution" legislation][??!?!][As are world markets][??!?!?!?]["fundamentals" - whassat?]

Posted January 2, 2013 at 7:56 am |

Maybe—the competition for not being dropped will cause all of those dropped channels to step it up and actually have something people want to watch. Even the government subsidized ones. Nah–that would be too capitalistic.

2. Hopefulone
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 8:51 am |

I’ve never had cable. I have HDTV over the air and Netflix for the family’s brain damage wants. That’s about $250 for antenna and amplifier one time–when the HDTV cut-over happened–plus $17 per month for NetFlix. We tried HuluPlus but their short commercials every two minutes ended that in the time it took for the trial subscription. I hope that the Intel box works, that they do make it so we can buy what we want and not subsidize the rest.

…and if ESPN really is subsidized as they say, and people stop watching it and focus on politics, then maybe we’ll pull out of the cultural dive.

3. mojo
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 9:58 am |

Intel might be able to pull it off – they’re the big dog on the block. Anybody else would get the full “car that runs on water” treatment and disappear. And, of course, those on Comcast cable-internet could look forward to severe throttling, at least until the courts catch a clue.

4. Sigivald
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm |

The real “it won’t work” argument (as presented in there if you dig in) is “the content producers want bundling and they control the content”.

Intel?

Intel is nothing in content or consumer-facing goods, and has exactly zero leverage against content producers, or cable and satellite TV providers.

5. Posted January 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm |

I cannot over-emphasize how cool the Roku is. I love my Roku. Since I’m mostly an invalid and a recluse to boot, I use it a lot. You only pay for it once (I paid $78 bucks for mine). There is no monthly fee. I use it mostly to get Netflix on my TV instead of just my computer, but there is a shitload of other channels there. I like Aerocinema.com, which is about $6/mo, and speaking of paying per-show, Amazon.com has this thing called Amazon Prime which is about $6.50/mo and it has a ton of movies that Netflix doesn’t have, including an excellent catalog of documentaries. It also has a Brazillion Episcopalian channel, but I have to admit that I haven’t checked that one out yet.

You can also buy individual shows/movies from Amazon for $.99 to $9.99. I have to admit that I broke down and bought The Ten Commandments and the Guns of the Navarone but hey, it don’t more classic than than.

So let it be written, so shall it be done.

6. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 7:14 am |

How does it work, Hog? Do ya need good-quality InnarToobz?

7. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:26 am |

^ Claire: You need the good kwality innertoobz first, but then you can either screw it directly into the box (and then into the TV) or you can go wi-fi, which is what I do. You don’t really need a slammin’ speed — 1+ mbs should do it. They will try to sell you the higher speed signal, or they will give it to you for six months, and then start charging you the higher price without really mentioning that they’re doing so. I’ve noticed that they really hate the words “Direct or Dish TV or CenturyTel” and a few others when you call them. I love fucking with customer service, and making them like it. Like women. They can’t help themselves. Just keep telling them how pretty they are.

You still have to pay Netflix the $8 bucks a month for their service, if you want it, but they’re still the best entertainment value for the buck.

There are other really good movie channels there for free, like Crackle.com and some others that will hit you with some short commercials, but somebody has to pay the bills. I really like the commercials for the boner pills. They promise to give you one, but they don’t really say what to do with it after that.